• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accessible accommodation problems (due to a different unit type turning up to what was booked)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caleb2010

Apologies if this is in the wrong place- please move if required

So - come today and I’ve got a ticket for the 1245 GWR service to Swansea - asked for the accessible space by the accessible toilet and got it!

Train comes in and it’s a 5 car (possibly 2 but I’m at the back so don’t know!) not a 9 car.

So there’s no accessible space by the accessible toilet unless you’re in first class- which is at the other end of the train!

Without the close proximity of the accessible toilet I’m extremely worried that I won’t make it should I need to.

Should I be entitled in this instance to ask to be accommodated in the first class accessible space as the need for the space is required, but not available?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Should I be entitled in this instance to ask to be accommodated in the first class accessible space as the need for the space is required, but not available?
In my opinion yes if it's available.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That is apparently the GWR policy, a free upgrade to First, I’m sure it’s come up in an earlier discussion in the main Class 800 thread.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Yes, as a wheelchair user, you will be accommodated in 1st Class regardless of ticket held (as that’s where the space is). If you have booked assistance that’s where they should be boarding you anyway.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Apologies if this is in the wrong place- please move if required

So - come today and I’ve got a ticket for the 1245 GWR service to Swansea - asked for the accessible space by the accessible toilet and got it!

Train comes in and it’s a 5 car (possibly 2 but I’m at the back so don’t know!) not a 9 car.

So there’s no accessible space by the accessible toilet unless you’re in first class- which is at the other end of the train!

Without the close proximity of the accessible toilet I’m extremely worried that I won’t make it should I need to.

I would say yes. Speak to the guard and explain the position. Do so in a calm, non emotive and professional manner and there should be no issue.

Caleb2010

Thanks for your replies, just to clarify- I’m not in a wheelchair but have major issues with mobility and “standard “ sized accommodation. I’d booked assistance at Paddington and they’d based the drop off point on the train on my reservation, rather than the accessible space!

If it’s 1 or 2 five car sets on my return I’ll see the staff and ask them- always being respectful!

74A

The priority seats in first and standard are the same. You won't get any extra space in first class. In fact you might be better off in standard as in first the seats have a fixed table in front of them. There is an accessible toilet in standard. The only difference is the wheel chair space is only available in first. In fact in first the nearest seats are slightly further away from the accessible toilet as the wheelchair space take up the first 10 feet or so in the coach.

Caleb2010

Cheers, having a 66” waist I could do with the extra space though, even in the accessible airline seats in coach B the fold down table hasn’t got enough room to (fold down!)

Now train stuck at Newport, brake problems, it’s just not my day today!!

FGW_DID

Established Member
what is the point of an accessible toilet in standard on the 5 car 80* sets if there's no seating?

Because it’s not just a “disabled” toilet. It’s a ‘Universally Accessible Toilet’ i.e it’s easy access for anybody!

Qwerty133

Established Member
what is the point of an accessible toilet in standard on the 5 car 80* sets if there's no seating?
Because they are more use than standard toilets to people with a range of disabilities not just wheelchair users. People with limited mobility may benefit from the extra space as may people who have a toileting disability and larger people and even for people who do not have disabilities they are nicer to use.

Master29

Established Member
That is apparently the GWR policy, a free upgrade to First, I’m sure it’s come up in an earlier discussion in the main Class 800 thread.

So what about people who DON`T have mobility needs but are registered as disabled but do not have a wheelchair? Do they get a free upgrade?

Ih8earlies

They also probably feature a fold down table for baby changing purposes.

Again. Many reasons, many needs.

mark-h

It will make it easier to add wheelchair spaces in the future if required. In addition the design costs will have been reduced by making the standard class end coaches the same in both the 5 and 9 coach variants (except for the seating layout).

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
So what about people who DON`T have mobility needs but are registered as disabled but do not have a wheelchair? Do they get a free upgrade?
I wouldn’t expect so no. Previous discussions here have only mentioned wheelchair users, since it first came up in the middle of last year.

Caleb2010

Thanks again for the replies. My worry is that I’m not in a wheelchair, but need the ‘space ‘ as I’m extremely large, have medical equipment and medication that I need to keep alongside. However, not being in a wheelchair are GWR going to accept that, I’m entitled to the accessible space? (Though booked in standard - should there not be one!)

JamesT

Established Member
Thanks again for the replies. My worry is that I’m not in a wheelchair, but need the ‘space ‘ as I’m extremely large, have medical equipment and medication that I need to keep alongside. However, not being in a wheelchair are GWR going to accept that, I’m entitled to the accessible space? (Though booked in standard - should there not be one!)

I may be being dense, but if you're not in a wheelchair, what would you expect to sit on? The wheelchair space is essentially just that, a space.
From previous discussions there are 'Priority' seats in coach A next to the toilets which may have extra leg room and as per the name, as a disabled user you would have priority in using.

Caleb2010

If you look at the 9 coach seating plan, in coach A seat 8 - in front there is the space for the wheelchair- it’s this seat I need, even the priority seats in the carriage with extra leg room etc are too small for me! That’s where I ended up on the way down and there wasn’t enough room- hence my booking of the seat in the accessible area! Maybe I should have explained it better before!

Status
Not open for further replies.