• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Adding a Zone - Changeover

Status
Not open for further replies.

wimbledonpete

Hi

I have an Annual Gold Card, issued at Wimbledon, for zones 2-4. It's on my Oyster card and expires on 11th September. My office is moving so I need to add zone 1 to the ticket.

Today at Wimbledon I was told I couldn't do that on my Oyster card and that I'd need a new paper ticket, for which I'd need a photocard.

Does anyone know if that's actually the case please? I'd rather not go through the faff of getting a photocard and ending up not being able to use my Oyster but obviously will if I have to!

Thanks very much for any advice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Unfortunately it is sort of right. You could buy an additional travelcard to cover the new zones, but it must be zones as 2 is the minimum. This is obviously a problem where you only need zone 1.

You might be better off not bothering. As you have zone 2 on your travelcard the most you'll have to pay for a single journey involving zone 1 would be £2.20. Alternatively there might be other ways round it depending on where you are going. Would a bus from Vauxhall be an option? Vauxhall is on the boundary between zones 1 and 2 and all buses are free with any travelcard. If you can give us more details of your journey we can suggest possibilities.

island

Veteran Member
I think it is possible to get a changeover if your Oyster travelcard was originally issued at an NR station. It's a big old faff though so the clerk may have been unable or unwilling to do it. (As I understand it they have to transfer the Oyster travelcard onto a paper one, do the changeover issuing a new paper travelcard, and then transfer that onto the Oyster card.)

wimbledonpete

Thank you both for this - very useful to know. I do already go into zone 1 quite a lot and Vauxhall + the 87 or 88 buses are indeed my friends. And to be honest when travelling within zone 1 I do tend to use buses rather than the tube as it's included in the price and generally fine unless the traffic is terrible.

The new office is right by Piccadilly Circus - maybe I'll just stick with what I have - in the morning the bus from Vauxhall will be fine but in the evening I think I'd rather go to Waterloo just for the convenience of getting a seat.

Will do some maths - could you tell me if a single Vauxhall-Waterloo or on the tube is £2.20 at any time of day please?

Thanks again - much appreciated.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sorry, Mike, ignore me - you said the most I'd pay is £2.20 so I'll just work on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.