• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

adjacent zones London travelcards - what trips are valid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfsuarc

Hello
It may be a silly question, but I don't have a rock-hard logical answer.

If I have two London travelcards (season eg monthly), one zones 1-3 and the other 4-6, can I travel from a zone 6 station to a zone 1 station?

Now, I think I should be OK to travel if travelcards were 1-3 + 3-6. Because then I can go from z6 to any station in z3 and from there to any in z1.

But then there is a further twist: some stations are in two zones, so if I travel through one such station that's in both zones 3 and 4, can I now use the same reasoning, to get from z6->z4=z3->z1 - just on 1-3 and 4-6 travelcards?

I know this may sound contrived and expect "just get a 1-6 travelcard coz it's cheaper" answers, but as a (sort of) theoretical question :) - any thoughts/knowledge?

Thanks for all your help - you've made this a great forum!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Hello
It may be a silly question, but I don't have a rock-hard logical answer.

If I have two London travelcards (season eg monthly), one zones 1-3 and the other 4-6, can I travel from a zone 6 station to a zone 1 station?

Now, I think I should be OK to travel if travelcards were 1-3 + 3-6. Because then I can go from z6 to any station in z3 and from there to any in z1.

But then there is a further twist: some stations are in two zones, so if I travel through one such station that's in both zones 3 and 4, can I now use the same reasoning, to get from z6->z4=z3->z1 - just on 1-3 and 4-6 travelcards?

I know this may sound contrived and expect "just get a 1-6 travelcard coz it's cheaper" answers, but as a (sort of) theoretical question :) - any thoughts/knowledge?

Zones (such as) 3 and 4 have a common boundary so Z1-3 and Z4-6 is the same as Z1-6.
Stations being in 2 Zones don't affect this.

If you get Z1-3 and Z3-6 you've paid for Z3 twice.

Last edited:

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Despite what some members of staff may think (see, for example, this post) such a combination is perfectly valid, including on non-stop services, as both are "zonal" tickets for the purposes of Condition 19(a) of the National Rail Conditions of Carriage.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes.

Glad you like it :)

You may also be interested in our Fares Guide, which covers most (though not all!) fares-related questions, in fact the issue of using a combination of zonal tickets is covered here: 1.6 Split Ticketing

Status
Not open for further replies.