• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance Fares Advice & Off Peak Validity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex 2901

At some point this after my exams in May/June, a mate and I are going out on the trains for a few days, but I have two questions:

1) I don't have a credit/debit card and want to purchase an advance fare on a service from Milton Keynes to London, so would it be possible to turn up to a station, i.e. Wolverhampton, could I purchase the advance fare approximately a month or so in advance?

2) What times is "off peak"? I know with buses, off peak is 0930 to 1529, 1801 to 2359, and all day at weekends? Or is it a case of its whatever time the operator wants it to be?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Agent_c

At some point this after my exams in May/June, a mate and I are going out on the trains for a few days, but I have two questions:

1) I don't have a credit/debit card and want to purchase an advance fare on a service from Milton Keynes to London, so would it be possible to turn up to a station, i.e. Wolverhampton, could I purchase the advance fare approximately a month or so in advance?
In theory, any ticket should be available at the station. Advance fares are typically available 12 weeks in advance, and are limited in number.

Best advice is to go online, confirm its available, and then seek purchase.

Have you considered getting a prepaid credit card?
2) What times is "off peak"? I know with buses, off peak is 0930 to 1529, 1801 to 2359, and all day at weekends? Or is it a case of its whatever time the operator wants it to be?
Off peak is defined by the ticket and this limit you the times, or even specific trains on which its valid, so the exact journey must be known.

For example, in Scotland Off Peak is after 9:15. Whether or not there's an evening peak restriction depends on whether you are leaving Edinburgh or not...

Alex 2901

In theory, any ticket should be available at the station. Advance fares are typically available 12 weeks in advance, and are limited in number.

Best advice is to go online, confirm its available, and then seek purchase.

Have you considered getting a prepaid credit card?

Off peak is defined by the ticket and this limit you the times, or even specific trains on which its valid, so the exact journey must be known.

For example, in Scotland Off Peak is after 9:15. Whether or not there's an evening peak restriction depends on whether you are leaving Edinburgh or not...

Thanks for the information, I have seeked to get a credit card, but my parents put played to that one

gray1404

Established Member
Yes you can get that ticket from that station.

Off peak is determined by the ticket in question as there is no universal "off peak" that applies to the entire network. So your best bet is to look up the fare you want on www.brfares.com and that will tell you any time restrictions that apply to the ticket held.

Alex 2901

One for tomorrow:

I think I have an idea the answer is yes, but are tickets from Stafford to Manchester Piccadilly valid via Crewe? I.e.

0820 LM service from Wolverhampton to Crewe, arriving at 0857
*calls at Stafford**
0910 VT service to Manchester Piccadilly

I'm wondering, as I kinda don't want everything to go pear shaped!

Romilly

Established Member
Stafford-Manchester tickets are valid via Crewe (other than Advances, which are valid via Crewe only if that is the route taken by the trains specified when the booking is made).

Status
Not open for further replies.