• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance more expensive than walk-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ

Established Member
I've always managed to get a reservation buying a walk up the night before, to travel next morning
Assuming this is the case majority of time,

The majority of the time you can, but not always. I used to work in a ticket office and would tap into the Central Reservation System every now and again. I used to see that reservations were shown as full for certain trains, particularly the sleepers, from a few days in advance.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
:roll: Poppycock. I'm sure someone would love to pay over £40 for the privilege of having a seat reserved for them in FIRST CLASS between Wigan and Preston. :roll:

The system is riddled with anomalous fares - perhaps contacting the TOCs offering the errant fare would be a good way to make them aware so that they can be removed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
I agree, and sometimes advance fares are considerably more expensive than walk-ups. Try Preston to Wigan on 1058 train on 8th November. First Anytime Day Single £9, First Advance Single.....£56.50!!

I have to say that's one of the most impressive anomalies I've seen to date. Even the cheapest 1st advance is nearly 3 times the price of the anytime 1st single! Perhaps it is a mistake.

Olympian

It's been like that for quite some time!
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?p=414869

I think it is to stop people buying a short advance ticket in the middle of a much longer journey, so preventing the allocated seat being used on the entire journey.

So why don't they instead just remove all the advances for that flow and just leave the walk-up fares (for which I could reserve a seat anyway)?

Zoe

Established Member
So why don't they instead just remove all the advances for that flow and just leave the walk-up fares (for which I could reserve a seat anyway)?
As the walk-up reservations may well have all been taken but there are still advance reservations available.

Status
Not open for further replies.