• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance one way... flexible the other

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprinter

I am making a journey from King's Cross to Doncaster on Saturday 5th May 2018. I am planning to travel outward on the 08:33 to Leeds.

However I am doing a bus Explorer trip around the area upon arrival, so I want flexibility on the way back depending on what buses/routes I decide to bash, so do not want to be tied to a fixed return time.

I have a DSB card and I believe the SVR fare is £61.00. Does VTEC have a Saver Half fare so I can take advantage of advance fares on the outward? Or is the SVR the best option?

Thanks
Sprinter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joe Paxton

Established Member

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Only available for purchase via the VTEC website, and since said website was redesigned it cannot (yet) sell the SSH portion with a Railcard discount. Apparently this is on VTEC's 'to do list'. (There was a period after the website redesign when the SSH vanished altogether, though it eventually made a comeback.)

<sigh> How utterly incompetent.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Any ideas how one can achieve my journey requirements, bar buying the SSR

Buy from the VTWC site (they try to send you to VTEC but you can click a link to stop it). They appear to offer the SSH at £30.75 (DSB) plus an identically priced "Super Off Peak Single" that appears to be a SSU. The difference between the two appears to be validity on Grand Central. (That's quite interesting as the VTWC SVHs are not TOC restricted).

To see those fares click "show all single fares" and you get a classic "Trainline matrix".

I *suspect* you can probably buy it from any other Trainline based site you wish if you prefer another one (with the obvious caveat that the actual Trainline site charges entirely avoidable fees) as the VTWC ones are available on any Trainline site too.

Status
Not open for further replies.