Advance ticket, choice of connection at Glasgow Central?

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by trainophile, 20 Mar 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trainophile

trainophile Established Member

I'm on my way to Ayr today via Glasgow Central, where I arrive at 1315. The journey planner put me on the 1334, but I see there is a 1330 to Ayr that is a bit quicker. It also says on RTT "service does not have a guard".

Would I be okay to get that one? The only reservation on my through ticket is Wigan to Glasgow.

Last edited: 20 Mar 2017
  2. crehld

crehld Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

Do you have an actual reservation for the 1334 service to Ayr? Or has the journey planner just suggested that service to you as a connecting service? If the latter, I see no problem getting the earlier service.

While many Scotrail services in the Strathcylde regions don't have a guard, they will almost certainly have a ticket inspector on board.

3. Merseysider

Merseysider Established Member Fares Advisor

That would be fine, yes. Your ticket is valid on appropriate connecting trains, and the 1330 from GLC is clearly appropriate.

4. trainophile

Thanks both. Nope, no timed train specified on ticket, just on journey planner. Presumably it will work the barrier on a different platform!

5. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

I don't believe you can reserve seats on Glasgow to Ayr services so OP should be OK.

6. trainophile

All okay, and yes there is a ticket inspector. Barely glanced at mine. I have an honest face! :lol:

7. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

It's an appropriate connection, so it's valid.

The magnetic stripe encoding is very basic and the system is not capable of cross-referencing appropriate or booked services with platform allocations (nor would it be in any way desirable for it to be).
    They are very friendly in my experience and their priority is to sell tickets to people needing them (a lot of the stations on those lines are unstaffed, rather like the Northern and ATW networks); they certainly aren't going to be fussing over whether you are on the right connecting service or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.