• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance ticket prices going down over time

Status
Not open for further replies.

arb

At the end of last week, I needed to book some tickets from Cambridge to Tenby for the bank holiday weekend at the end of May, specifically with outward travel on May 23rd.

I checked the tickets available, and found a number of advance tickets available at £46.70 for different times of the day. It took a few days of debating to decide which time we wanted to travel at, during which time I regularly checked the prices to make sure they weren't going up. Eventually I booked some tickets at this price two days ago, on Tuesday of this week.

I've now gone to double-check the times of the journey, and found that advance tickets for the journeys that previously cost £47.20 can now be bought for £37.20 (06:45 departure) or £26.70 (08:50 and 10:45 departures). Since I've booked on the 10:45 service, I've ended up paying about 75% more than I would have done if I'd waited another couple of days!

Having searched this site, the standard answer to advance fares getting lower is that people were holding the cheaper tickets in their baskets, but then didn't buy them. But I find it hard to believe that was happening for a period of almost a week across three different journeys! This isn't the first time I've been surprised by advance tickets getting cheaper after I've bought mine, but it is the first time I've been actively monitoring the more expensive price for days before buying. So what is going on here? It really does feel to me as if the train companies are releasing cheaper advance tickets for sale after they've put the more expensive ones on sale.

I assume there's no way of telling when this is going to happen? And I assume there's nothing I can now do to get the cheaper priced advances instead?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scarby

Those £26.70 fares are readily available on many days and times in April.

I therefore suspect that this may have something to do with a train company on one leg of your journey having not yet released its cheapest fares when you booked, thus pushing the price up.

Very frustrating!

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I assume there's no way of telling when this is going to happen? And I assume there's nothing I can now do to get the cheaper priced advances instead?
It does happen, from time to time, that an operator will release a number of Advance tickets at a lower price than those which have already been on offer for the same journey. It is not done for all journeys, they are not released in large quantities and is not predcitable; but it can be seen to happen occasionally.

No, once a ticket has been bought at the accepted price then it cannot be exchanged for another at the lower price (other than by the usual mechanism for exchanging one ticket for another, which is almost sure to carry the £10 'admin charge'). Personally, I am unhappy with this policy when it is applied to choosing cheaper tickets for the same journey, as the passenger is clearly not changing their travel plans, but it would be a lucky passenger who was offered the cheaper ticket without incurring the 'admin charge'.

Status
Not open for further replies.