• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance ticket refund if not travelling due to disruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

100andthirty

Despite advance tickets generally not being refundable, can one get them refunded in the event that one cannot travel due to disruption? Thanks in advance for help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Absolutely. If your train is delayed or cancelled and you choose not to travel, you can get a full refund from the retailer.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

100andthirty

Hi all. Polite email sent just after original post with a snip from my Virgin account attached showing the value of the tickets. I've just received an email confirming the refund will be made - might take 5 days to reach my account. Just 3 hours from complaint to resolution. Well done Virgin

Sleepy

Established Member
Hi all. Polite email sent just after original post with a snip from my Virgin account attached showing the value of the tickets. I've just received an email confirming the refund will be made - might take 5 days to reach my account. Just 3 hours from complaint to resolution. Well done Virgin
Meanwhile GWR advise it can take up to 28 days !! Why so long ?

gray1404

Established Member
My understanding is that in the event of disruption when using an Advance ticket (train delayed, train cancelled or seat reservation will not be honored) you are entitled to not travel and receive a full refund from the retailer. Also, if you have started your journey and encounter disruption, you can return to the point of origin and get a full refund on your ticket from the retailer.

I also wonder if it is "reasonable' for a customer to abandon their journey en-route and make their own arrangements from there and receive a refund of the ticket from the retailer.

If you do travel and there is disruption you are entitled to use alternative services (according to the operator restriction on your ticket) and claim delay repay based on your actual arrival time at your destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.