• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance ticket refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamskiodp

Hi folks

I’m planning a trip to London to Edinburgh for Easter 2022 on Advance tickets. I’ve asked LNER what would happen if we were prevented from travelling due to Covid restrictions either in Scotland or England. The reply from their Twitter account was:

“Currently we are offering a refund in the form of evouchers to your LNER account”

I’m sure I read somewhere that they should also offer a cash refund (or back to debit/Credit card) as well. Am I right or would an eVoucher be all that I’d be entitled to?

Also, I can see advances from Kings Cross to Edinburgh next Easter (travelling 18th and 22nd April) but not Euston to Edinburgh and I was hoping to do East Coast one way and West coast on the return. Are there no trains on the West coast at that time?

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Buggleskelly

I purchased 3 advance first class tickets to Edinburgh last year for myself and my friends around the same sort of time period. Of course, as Covid took hold, we obviously weren't able to use those tickets. I was able to get a full refund from LNER to my payment card with no fuss at all. Now, I think if you plan to cancel your journey beforehand then I believe the voucher may be the only option to you if you purchased an advance, I noticed this when I was considering cancelling a journey that I eventually took. If you're delayed on your trip, then it's different obviously and you choose how you get refunded.

As for Avanti West Coast and your Easter travel, it seems that their calendar for engineering works only goes as far as March, it's possible any future works after may affect your travel. Odd if they say you can book 24 weeks in advance on their site.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I’m sure I read somewhere that they should also offer a cash refund (or back to debit/Credit card) as well. Am I right or would an eVoucher be all that I’d be entitled to?
You are wrong. For Advance tickets there is normally no entitlement to a refund but under the current 'Book with Confidence' scheme you can get a refund in the form of eVouchers (note that the scheme currently runs until 31 March 2022).

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hi folks

I’m planning a trip to London to Edinburgh for Easter 2022 on Advance tickets. I’ve asked LNER what would happen if we were prevented from travelling due to Covid restrictions either in Scotland or England. The reply from their Twitter account was:

“Currently we are offering a refund in the form of evouchers to your LNER account”

Also, I can see advances from Kings Cross to Edinburgh next Easter (travelling 18th and 22nd April) but not Euston to Edinburgh and I was hoping to do East Coast one way and West coast on the return. Are there no trains on the West coast at that time?

Thanks in advance
Whenever there have been lockdowns or heavy travel restrictions over the last 2 years, generally speaking cash refunds have been offered for Advances booked before the relevant announcements were made. However there is no guarantee that this policy will be maintained and I wouldn't rely on this being the case.

LNER are releasing Advance tickets far further ahead than most other TOCs. Avanti have currently only released Advances as far as 12 March (27 February for Sundays), so there's at least another month or so before tickets for Easter are released.

There is also engineering work virtually every Easter on the WCML, so if you do choose to travel that way, it's likely to involve a replacement coach for at least part of the journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.