• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance tickets and cancellations - would this be allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scousemouse

As an example, if you had an advance ticket on the 1609 Wigan - Euston and then an advance on the 1903 Paddington - Penzance would you be allowed to get the 1509 if the 1609 was cancelled?

Arguably the next available service is the 1628 but that would not give you time to make the connection - nor would the 1709.

Since the 1903 is the last penzance service (other than the night sleeper) waiting for a later train it would mean you would not get home that night.

If you knew in advance the 1609 was cancelled, could you use your ticket on the 1509 which would seem to most like a sensible solution.

I had a similar situation a few weeks ago and kicked myself that I hadnt checked to see if the train was cancelled earlier - but then I was thinking it might not have made any difference even if I knew.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Officially not, but it would be worth asking staff (either ticket office for an endorsement with stamp or the guard) in these kinds of circumstances.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Virgin are the only company I’ve found who take issue with this.

Most other TOCs are generally reasonable and just want to get you safely on your way.

If it was a case of whether I’d make it home that night or not, I’d just jump on regardless.

gord

Greater Anglia allowed me to take an earlier train from Ipswich last year on an advance ticket from Lowestoft to Wolverhampton when Euston was having various problems. In fact, the train manager at Ipswich even recommend we got his train when we asked in case we could get out of Euston any sooner. Not that we did.

We had decided to get an earlier connecting train from Lowestoft to Ipswich for some reason, good job we had. Although ultimately it made no difference.

Skymonster

Established Member
Had a similar situation a while ago. Everything going pear shaped on Southwest but the ticket office at Southampton was happy to endorse my ticket for an earlier train up to London so I could still make it home on East Midlands Trains. In my experience many staff will use logic that ensures a passenger gets to where they need to go when disruption occurs rather than leaving someone in / with a mess to sort out late in the evening.

Established Member
Surely you would ask to get on the 1545? And officially the answer is no but practically most guards wouldn't have an issue with it.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Of course it's sensible, but can the customer travel on that basis alone?

I wouldn't, unless the TOC concerned agreed beforehand and endorsed my ticket to that effect.

No I'm talking about booking the ticket on the 1509 you don't have to worry about the 1609 being cancelled / late or some hold up on the tube. It's just sensible planning.

Silverdale

But the OP asks; "if you had an advance ticket on the 16:09..."

If someone asks you directions to some place, do you reply; "Well, I wouldn't be starting from here"?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As an example, if you had an advance ticket on the 1609 Wigan - Euston and then an advance on the 1903 Paddington - Penzance would you be allowed to get the 1509 if the 1609 was cancelled?

Arguably the next available service is the 1628 but that would not give you time to make the connection - nor would the 1709.

Since the 1903 is the last penzance service (other than the night sleeper) waiting for a later train it would mean you would not get home that night.

If you knew in advance the 1609 was cancelled, could you use your ticket on the 1509 which would seem to most like a sensible solution.

I had a similar situation a few weeks ago and kicked myself that I hadnt checked to see if the train was cancelled earlier - but then I was thinking it might not have made any difference even if I knew.
If the train you are booked on is cancelled, you can take the train before or after.

The train before the 1609 is the 1545. You could definitely take the 1545.

If you were unable to get an earlier train, seek staff advice, as you might be re-routed via an alternative route in order to avoid a lengthy delay into your destination.

If no re-routeing or earlier train is possible/agreed, then it Virgin would be liable for a very large Delay Repay claim.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
But the OP asks; "if you had an advance ticket on the 16:09..."

If someone asks you directions to some place, do you reply; "Well, I wouldn't be starting from here"?

As its hypothetical my advice based on years of travel is if your that worried about a late train and a missed connection then mitigate the risk by traveling earlier. Im sure the OP would rather make their connection than be stranded in London and then have to make a delay claim or be in panic mode on the day having checked and found out the booked train is late.

route101

Established Member
I tweeted Virgin last month asking if was able to take an earlier train from Wigan up to Glasgow as there was disruption , they said you have to stick to train your booked on.

pt_mad

Established Member
I tweeted Virgin last month asking if was able to take an earlier train from Wigan up to Glasgow as there was disruption , they said you have to stick to train your booked on.

Afaik when the disruption goes to CSL2 code Red, industry speak for serious disruption, then ticket restrictions on the route are usually lifted for the duration of the incident? Be it that Tocs still ask other Tocs for acceptance to make it official but I believe when asked during code red, other Tocs can't refuse? Please correct me if I'm wrong Yorkie etc?

Can someone confirm this would mean passengers could use a train much earlier or much later than their advanced ticket specified providing it was the same day and 'reasonable'?

E.g. code red weather related disruption and a passenger turns up two hours earlier than their advance ticket specified fearing they may be stranded if they don't leave now. Seems reasonable. Would this be ok?

Established Member
Afaik when the disruption goes to CSL2 code Red, industry speak for serious disruption, then ticket restrictions on the route are usually lifted for the duration of the incident? Be it that Tocs still ask other Tocs for acceptance to make it official but I believe when asked during code red, other Tocs can't refuse? Please correct me if I'm wrong Yorkie etc?

Can someone confirm this would mean passengers could use a train much earlier or much later than their advanced ticket specified providing it was the same day and 'reasonable'?

E.g. code red weather related disruption and a passenger turns up two hours earlier than their advance ticket specified fearing they may be stranded if they don't leave now. Seems reasonable. Would this be ok?
You still have to use your booked train unless it is cancelled. Or you are advised by the TOC that you can travel early or later.

pt_mad

Established Member
You still have to use your booked train unless it is cancelled. Or you are advised by the TOC that you can travel early or later.

I suppose it can be a bit of a grey area. Like when it's wired out e.g. 'Arriva Northern customers may use their tickets on Transpennine Express', does that mean you can use an advanced ticket for a Northern service in a totally different TPE service as long as its a permitted route? Would have thought so and probably wouldn't be questioned onboard once this message had gone out?

Status
Not open for further replies.