• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance tickets delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

aelius

I was travelling from Manchester Airport to Newcastle.

My ticket is "Airport Advance Single". It says "Valid only on the booked services below and required connecting services".

The shown booked services are Manchester Airport to York (TPE) and York to Newcastle (Virgin East Coast).

The TPE train was delayed so I missed the East Coast train. The following three trains to Newcastle were (in order) TPE, Cross Country and East Coast.

Which ought I to have taken? I took the East Coast. The TPE was full, XC had not featured in any of the reservations, East Coast was the next train of that TOC and I was more likely to get a seat.

My ticket was inspected but the inspector didn't scrutinise it.

Was I right?

If I had taken the TPE train I would probably have been :wub:0 mins late. As it was. I was >30 <60 mins late, so it may have led to a possibly avoidable delay claim.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
If you are delayed whilst travelling and miss a connection, you should use the next available service by the same Train Company (source: Advance Fare FAQs), in this case Virgin East Coast. However, in cases of severe disruption, guidance might be given to use any service that will get you home with the least delay.

gray1404

Established Member
Sounds like the OP had a TPE and connections ticket so they could have taken the TPE train (or the XC one)

Status
Not open for further replies.