• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advanced ticket for rail replacement - can I still claim delay repay?

blueyclass319

Yesterday I took a rail replacement bus (due to on the day cancellations due to staff shortages), instead of the train I intended to take. I assumed there would be no issues with my journey home, I checked the times and saw there was many cancellations on my journey, BUT there was a journey (with part rail replacement), which I could
buy an advanced ticket from Man Piccadilly - Lancaster (from Man Piccadilly - Preston on train, bus replacement from Preston - Lancaster). This was for the final possible journey of the day.

The bus arrived over 30 minutes later than the train that was cancelled, the one I would have taken assuming there was no staffing issues that night). When buying the ticket I was aware it was going to be a bus replacement (therefore would be more than 30 minutes later into Lancaster than usual).

However from my viewpoint if there was no staffing issues (and appropriate cover ect by northern) then there would have been no delay to my journey. Therefore, my question is can I still claim for a delay repay in my ticket or not?

Let me know your thoughts - and ideally what the term and conditions would say to avoid me making a false claim!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
The bus arrived over 30 minutes later than the train that was cancelled, the one I would have taken assuming there was no staffing issues that night). When buying the ticket I was aware it was going to be a bus replacement (therefore would be more than 30 minutes later into Lancaster than usual).
If you knew of the revised timings when you bought your ticket, then that's what any claim is assessed against. Sorry, but tough!

Olympian

That's understandable - I see totally see the logic there!
What journey details were actually stated on the itinerary for the advance ticket you purchased as that’s what any delay repay should be calculated against? If it showed a through train to Lancaster and didn’t take into account the replacement bus from Preston then you likely still have a valid claim.