• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advances involving Northern not necessarily the cheapest

Status
Not open for further replies.

317 forever

Established Member
I have experienced 2 examples this year where advertised Advance fares involving Northern have not specifically been the cheapest.

In June I saw an Advance from Newcastle to Heaton Chapel at £27. However, for the same train the Advance from Newcastle to Manchester Victoria was just £19. It was therefore cheaper to split the ticket at Manchester. Plus it would have allowed me breaks of journey in Manchester (and/or Levenshulme) had I wanted.

I admit I have forgotten the number of pence added to those fares.

Then last weekend I had a daytrip to Liverpool and travelled to and from East Didsbury. The through Advance singles would have been £6.20 or £6.40 each way. However, there were corresponding Advance singles between East Didsbury & Manchester Piccadilly for £2.00, and between Manchester Piccadilly & Liverpool Lime Street for £2.90.

In that latter example, my hunch is that Northern recognised competition on the former with Metrolink and on the latter with East Midlands Railway (and TransPennine Express albeit from Manchester Victoria) - and also with coaches. However, they saw no competition for East Didsbury - Liverpool travel so did not need to price these so cheaply.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I have experienced 2 examples this year where advertised Advance fares involving Northern have not specifically been the cheapest.
Is there a reason why they should be?
In June I saw an Advance from Newcastle to Heaton Chapel at £27. However, for the same train the Advance from Newcastle to Manchester Victoria was just £19.
£19 is the cheapest rung of the advance fares and 'TPE only'. Just to move to 'TPE and Connections' adds £2. It may simply be that the Northern train doesn't have a quota for TPE's lowest rung of advance fares.
Then last weekend I had a daytrip to Liverpool and travelled to and from East Didsbury. The through Advance singles would have been £6.20 or £6.40 each way. However, there were corresponding Advance singles between East Didsbury & Manchester Piccadilly for £2.00, and between Manchester Piccadilly & Liverpool Lime Street for £2.90.

In that latter example, my hunch is that Northern recognised competition on the former with Metrolink and on the latter with East Midlands Railway (and TransPennine Express albeit from Manchester Victoria) - and also with coaches. However, they saw no competition for East Didsbury - Liverpool travel so did not need to price these so cheaply.
It probably is 'market pricing' and yes, the differences add up. Northern are offering a very cheap fare for Liverpool to Manchester.

There is nothing which says there has to be consistency in pricing between these journeys. I'd imagine the DfT would like to see fares between Liverpool and Manchester starting at a higher price point if the market can support it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.