• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice for ex-forces engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goofle

Good evening all,

I'm after a spot of advice please!
I'm approaching the end of a fulfilling career in the Armed Forces, 22 years plus done in an engineering trade. I've always loved the railways and things connected so would like to make a second career in this. I'd like a job in the maintaining / engineering side if possible, and would like to think I'd be able to progress up the ladder in this. How would people suggest i progress please? For information i live in rural Shropshire, and to the best of my knowledge the nearest large rail centre is Crewe, about 1 hour away according to Google Maps at present, or Chester, slightly closer at 45 minutes (traffic as expected on a Sunday evening!).
I have completed the EAL L3 Certificate in Traction and Rolling Stocking Systems recently and found the experience very informative and interesting, and have various qualifications gained through my time in the Forces.
All suggestions are welcome!
Thanks,
Goofle!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Undiscovered

Have you looked at WMT and their Tysley/Soho/Oxley depots?
Big influx of new units that need a lot of fettling to get ready and a new push towards apprenticeships etc..
Also big plans afoot at Abbey Foregate too for both them and TfW.

RoyalE3091

Good evening all,

I'm after a spot of advice please!
I'm approaching the end of a fulfilling career in the Armed Forces, 22 years plus done in an engineering trade. I've always loved the railways and things connected so would like to make a second career in this. I'd like a job in the maintaining / engineering side if possible, and would like to think I'd be able to progress up the ladder in this. How would people suggest i progress please? For information i live in rural Shropshire, and to the best of my knowledge the nearest large rail centre is Crewe, about 1 hour away according to Google Maps at present, or Chester, slightly closer at 45 minutes (traffic as expected on a Sunday evening!).
I have completed the EAL L3 Certificate in Traction and Rolling Stocking Systems recently and found the experience very informative and interesting, and have various qualifications gained through my time in the Forces.
All suggestions are welcome!
Thanks,
Goofle!
Network Rail recruit ex forces and with your background you should be good to get a job with High Output maintaining the machines they use.

There will also be other contractors which do rolling stock work which you'll be able to get a job with, Siemens springs to mind.

BTU

You should have no problem getting in to the railway other than waiting for them to recruit which can be a slightly long winded process as for progress there is plenty of scope to go up the ladder. I have worked in engineering but on the ops side, you should target the TOC's you want to work for and set up alerts on their sites so you don't miss and vacancies that may arise other than that just try and get as much info you can on the application process and the TOC's that you want to work for this site is great for that. Best of luck.

Zontar

If your after experience/contacts, i know ex regs who joined railway section of ta royal engineers. They got a good foot on the ladder

Marx

Have a look at Colas rail .. quite a few fitter/operator roles going atm and they run an ex services scheme

Status
Not open for further replies.