• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

advice needed please guys! career change..

Status
Not open for further replies.

lenny89

some info about my self

am 27 years old and worked in construction since i left school as a labourer when i was about 22 i got a good job with good prospects as a industrial painter in faslane naval base painting submarine ballast tanks missile tubes ect but when the independence carry on was gng on all the worked stopped and got moved within the company to the scaffolding side of things were i gain my trainee scaffolding card lasted 6months there wasn't for me, got another start with an agency in bp Grangemouth as a ground worker were i am the now but i have obtained my cpcs dumper license, thats just some info on my background

i'am looking to get into the railway side of things entry level position of course and looking for best advice on what to do..

i have phoned qts and they said they would sponsor me to do my 10 day track induction course with them funded by myself swgr also said they would sponsor me if i fund it myself

just really want to know with my back ground exp it worth me doing the course is there plenty work out there or i'am i better doing a course along side it to better my chances of getting a start,

qts and swgr said if i do my course with them they cant guarantee me work but they would pass my details on to there line managers ect

any info would be grand fellas

thanks

martin
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
230 views and no replys lol...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrJB

Applying for any TOC job requires the following
1: Good grammar
2: Good punctuation.
3: Good spelling.

Failing any of the above can almost gaurentee a rejection.
In other words, after reading your opening post would mean an instant rejection.

Please take this as constructive advice and not a malicious attack on how you just presented yourself.

Good luck.

Rebel Rocker

In other words, after reading your opening post would mean an instant rejection.

Please take this as constructive advice and not a malicious attack on how you just presented yourself.

Good luck.

One should check they spell everything correctly before they criticise somebody on spelling mistakes, don't you think?

I hope your embarrassment makes you think twice about being a dick again!

MrJB

One should check they spell everything correctly before they criticise somebody on spelling mistakes, don't you think?

I hope your embarrassment makes you think twice about being a dick again!

I'm sorry you feel that way, I did say it was constructive advice.
Please feel free to point out my spelling mistakes.

DaleCooper

Established Member
Please feel free to point out my spelling mistakes.

Good luck.

guarantee

Poor sentence construction.

In other words after reading your opening post I would reject your application.

Would be better, or:

In other words the grammar, spelling and punctuation in your opening post would mean an instant rejection.

MrJB

guarantee

Poor sentence construction.

In other words after reading your opening post I would reject your application.

Would be better, or:

In other words the grammar, spelling and punctuation in your opening post would mean an instant rejection.

Thanks for finding the spelling mistake. You could have at least waited for Lenny though!
I disagree with the poor sentence construction.
And please don't switch the attention to me, I'm not the one asking for advice.

theironroad

Established Member
@lenny89

Can't help I'm afraid, but please don't think everyone one here is a grammar/punctuation ****.

There's loads of rail mags in wh smiths, have a flick through, it might give you some info/ places to look.

Good luck with the career change if you go for it.

Bromley boy

Established Member

Good luck.

All true and good advice for the OP. However he was writing a post on an Internet forum rather than a job application. I think we have to credit people with the intelligence/awareness to tailor their style of writing to the situation.

district

Good luck.
He's not looking for a TOC job anyway, and whilst the advice may apply to track workers (although I know many track workers with difficulty reading and writing) all you've done is make yourself sound pretentious.

MrJB

All true and good advice for the OP. However he was writing a post on an Internet forum rather than a job application. I think we have to credit people with the intelligence/awareness to tailor their style of writing to the situation.

Though I do agree with you, my way of thinking was, if he attempts to write an application in the same format, he would not stand a chance.

He's not looking for a TOC job anyway, and whilst the advice may apply to track workers (although I know many track workers with difficulty reading and writing) all you've done is make yourself sound pretentious.

That was not my intention. As you know yourself, nearly all TOC applications are scanned by a computer first, looking for spelling mistakes and poor grammar/punctuation.

Anyway, my bad. I was not trying to belittle you Lenny.
Good luck on your career change.

RBSN

Though I do agree with you, my way of thinking was, if he attempts to write an application in the same format, he would not stand a chance.

That was not my intention. As you know yourself, nearly all TOC applications are scanned by a computer first, looking for spelling mistakes and poor grammar/punctuation.

Anyway, my bad. I was not trying to belittle you Lenny.
Good luck on your career change.

Sorry, I'll have to agree with MrJB on this one. Can't see how he's being a dick at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.