• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice on commute from Newton Le Willows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon.
My current commute from Helsby to Piccadilly means a 1 mile walk once I arrive in Manchester (or the Tram). I could change trains at Newton Le Willows and catch the 0722 to Manchester Victoria which would save me a walk.
Could anyone advise how busy this train gets (it's the Liverpool to Manchester service) and also what the usual number of carriages is please? For the 20 odd minute run I can live with a Pacer but I do like to sit down.

Coming back in the evening I know the 1650 and 1720 Manchester to Chester ATW services are usually rammed as far as Newton then ease off. It's just that morning run and whether the run into Victoria is confortable or rammed and standing.
Many Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gnolife

Established Member
In my experience of infrequently catching it from St Helens (usually on a Wednesday and Thursday morning), the 0722 is usually fairly quiet. Its the 0752 for Huddersfield and the 0822 for Man Victoria that tend to really get awful from what I've seen.

In my experience of infrequently catching it from St Helens (usually on a Wednesday and Thursday morning), the 0722 is usually fairly quiet. Its the 0752 for Huddersfield and the 0822 for Man Victoria that tend to really get awful from what I've seen.

Thanks. I landed on the Huddersfield train on Monday when the ATW to Picc was terminating at Oxford Road (again) and this was what made me think about this Victoria route.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Not sure about those connections (the 0722 from Newton Le Willows is usually standing room only by Patricroft/Eccles), but I would advise that if you miss the train from Helsby and have to catch the next one, you stay on the train to Manchester as the next trains have a long wait at Newton Le Willows.

Not sure about those connections (the 0722 from Newton Le Willows is usually standing room only by Patricroft/Eccles), but I would advise that if you miss the train from Helsby and have to catch the next one, you stay on the train to Manchester as the next trains have a long wait at Newton Le Willows.

Thanks. If I get the 0649 from Helsby I should have a 5 min wait at Newton. If I get the 0721 then I'll miss the Huddersfield train connection at Newton. I'll give it a go tomorrow and see how busy the Liverpool to Manchester service is. The train from Helsby is normally a rather comfortable 175 with a guaranteed seat and whilst I don't mind sitting on a Pacer or a 150, I do not like standing.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Thanks. If I get the 0649 from Helsby I should have a 5 min wait at Newton. If I get the 0721 then I'll miss the Huddersfield train connection at Newton. I'll give it a go tomorrow and see how busy the Liverpool to Manchester service is. The train from Helsby is normally a rather comfortable 175 with a guaranteed seat and whilst I don't mind sitting on a Pacer or a 150, I do not like standing.

The 0649 and 0722 from Helsby should have good connections, but trains after that have a wait of 53 minutes for the connecting train. The 0722 should make the 0752 connection at Newton if it is on time. I don't know what was on the 0752 today, but the 0822 was a single 142.

The 0649 and 0722 from Helsby should have good connections, but trains after that have a wait of 53 minutes for the connecting train. The 0722 should make the 0752 connection at Newton if it is on time. I don't know what was on the 0752 today, but the 0822 was a single 142.

Ouch!

Established Member
ATW to Manchester Oxford Road.

Number 2 Metroshuttle free bus to Vic.

ATW to Manchester Oxford Road.

Number 2 Metroshuttle free bus to Vic.

Thanks for that..

I tried changing at Newton this morning and it was fine. Plenty of room on a noisy and damp Northern 150, which is a bit of a shock after the comfort of a ATW 175. For 20 mins though that is fine.
Saved me 20 mins off going to Piccadilly then walking down.

Thanks for the info on the Metroshuttle. I now have another option. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.