• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice on rolling stock technician/fitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macka190

Good evening,
I’m new to the site and I’m currently looking if anyone could give me some advice or point me in the wright direction to how I could get into a rolling stock technician/engineer role or semi skilled fitter in the railway industry. I’ve tried the apprenticeship route which I’m happy with doing but keep getting put in the reserve list which is disappointing. I feel that my age 31 has a factor when it comes to getting the job haha. I’ve got a intermediate level 2 in engineering maintenance and installation which I gained whilst serving in the military working on tanks. So I do feel I have transferrable skills but feel as if the apprenticeship is the only route and with them closed now till next year I feel like I’ve hit a dead end. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lammergeier

Good mate of mine left the Navy a while back and landed a fitters job at Northern based on his experience. Ex-military are popular candidates on the railway, particularly so ex engineers so you're in luck.

I can't really give any advice as to what grade fitter you could enter at as I'm not a fitter myself but I can assure you you don't need an apprenticeship.

Do you mind saying where you (roughly) live? Then people can tell you which companies to look out for, where the depots are near you etc which will help with job hunting.

Macka190

I really appreciate you getting back to me. Small world, That’s the company Im reserve for in the apprenticeship (northern) hahah. I live in the north west. Thanks again

lammergeier

Well keep your eyes out on their website for other RST jobs as I know they will happily take those with engineering experience from another industry.

Also look out for Avanti West Coast (Longsight) and Siemens (Ardwick TPE). I'm sure there's other companies who employ fitters up there but I don't know the area, someone else will hopefully be along soon with more info.

Macka190

Well keep your eyes out on their website for other RST jobs as I know they will happily take those with engineering experience from another industry.

Also look out for Avanti West Coast (Longsight) and Siemens (Ardwick TPE). I'm sure there's other companies who employ fitters up there but I don't know the area, someone else will hopefully be along soon with more info.
I certainly will and really appreciate the information you have given me already thanks a lot.

Spurs1961

Hi macka 190
If you have never worked on rolling stock before most companies will employ you as a base technician, then after completing in house/NTAR training you will probably become a newly qualified technician.
After this most companies have a grading system that is controlled between the training department and your supervisor/manager to work at becoming an Advanced fault finding technician/higher technician.
Companies to look for are bombardier, Siemens, alstrom and any rail company.
You might also look at contractors jobs where a refit/upgrade is being carried out within a working depot (sometimes you can make a good impression and be taken on after the job is completed).
Also if there is a tram system in the area that can be a very good step to applying to rail at a later date.

Macka190

Hi macka 190
If you have never worked on rolling stock before most companies will employ you as a base technician, then after completing in house/NTAR training you will probably become a newly qualified technician.
After this most companies have a grading system that is controlled between the training department and your supervisor/manager to work at becoming an Advanced fault finding technician/higher technician.
Companies to look for are bombardier, Siemens, alstrom and any rail company.
You might also look at contractors jobs where a refit/upgrade is being carried out within a working depot (sometimes you can make a good impression and be taken on after the job is completed).
Also if there is a tram system in the area that can be a very good step to applying to rail at a later date.
That’s fantastic, sometimes you just think your hitting a brick wall but that’s great information you have given me and I really appreciate it spurs 1961

Status
Not open for further replies.