• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice on Scottish Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polarbear

Established Member
Hello

In August, I'm nipping up to Glasgow for a day & was considering whether to go for two of the lines I still require up there. These are;
  1. Drumgelloch - Bathgate
  2. Stirling - Alloa

So far, I've come up with a cheap day return Glasgow - Edinburgh combined with a similar ticket from Camelon to Alloa. The plan being to roll out from Queen Street to Edinburgh Park, then back to Alloa via Falkirk & then back to Glasgow (or vice versa). This however would restrict me to slower trains between the Falkirk area and Glasgow as I assume I would not be valid on fast services from Stirling to Glasgow.

Can anyone suggest any reasonable alternatives please?

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulLothian

Only just caught up with this thread after being away.

Don't know if this is fully valid, but I am thinking that a Croy to Alloa return might do the Stirling to Alloa bit. Only slightly more expensive. Only one train an hour from Waverley/Haymarket to Croy.

I also wonder about the validity of a change at Larbert. Negative easement 300209 states "Circuitous Route. Customers travelling between Glasgow Queen Street and Edinburgh may not travel via Larbert. This easement applies in both directions."

I personally think Edinburgh Park is not "Edinburgh", and that therefore a journey via Larbert (which by happy coincidence is on route to Alloa, is acceptable. In that case, though, you might need to make sure you get a ticket to Edinburgh Park rather than to Edinburgh Haymarket or Waverley, to avoid falling foul of the easement!

You don't give precise dates, but if before the re-opening of Queen Street, Stirling - Glasgow fast trains won't travel via Croy! In that case, you might be restricted to the stopping services.

I would be more than glad to have these ideas confirmed by one of our experts!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I don't see what's wrong with a Glasgow-Edinburgh CDR and another from Falkirk G to Alloa.
You would just be breaking your return Edinburgh-Glasgow at FKG.
I guess you would have to travel back from Alloa via Falkirk (and therefore Cumbernauld).

Another thought, if you are starting in NW England, the Any Permitted (via Carlisle) walk-up fares to Edinburgh are valid via Glasgow (but not via Edinburgh to Glasgow).
That might save you a local fare.

Finally, I believe an NW England-Falkirk/Stirling/Alloa Any Permitted ticket is valid via either Edinburgh or Glasgow.

Last edited:

PaulLothian

I don't see what's wrong with a Glasgow-Edinburgh CDR and another from Falkirk G to Alloa.
You would just be breaking your return Edinburgh-Glasgow at FKG.
I guess you would have to travel back from Alloa via Falkirk (and therefore Cumbernauld).

Another thought, if you are starting in NW England, the Any Permitted (via Carlisle) walk-up fares to Edinburgh are valid via Glasgow (but not via Edinburgh to Glasgow).
That might save you a local fare.

Finally, I believe an NW England-Falkirk/Stirling/Alloa Any Permitted ticket is valid via either Edinburgh or Glasgow.

The OP did seem to like the idea of getting back quickly to Glasgow...

Actually I quite like the route via Cumbernauld for an occasional change of scenery!

Polarbear

Established Member
Thanks for the information. I already have tickets booked from the North West to Glasgow (First class return courtesy of the last Virgin Trains seat sale). It's only the bit beyond Glasgow I need tickets for.

Travelling on August 12 so after the Queen Street blockade is due to end.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.