• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice on via route ticket pls ILK-BDQ-BIY

Status
Not open for further replies.

mog

I wonder if someone could advise on a possible ticket. I want to travel from Ilkley ILK to Bradford (most likely Forster Square BDQ) then onto Bingley BIY tomorrow 18/12/09 as I have something to pick up in Bradford. I can't find a ticket that has the via option, and don't know if I can just buy a ILK - BIY return, but go via Bradford. Tickets shown via Leeds are the same price, so it looks possible? Travelling after 9:30.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tony_mac

Established Member
Eastcoast website says that you can.
I don't think you are supposed to, you are supposed to take the shoutest route without doubling-back.

hmmm. the Routeing guide section A says you can't, section B says you can, then partially contradicts itself in the example.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You can't get from Ilkley to Bingley without doubling back between Shipley and Bradford Forster Square. I see you say you are "likely" to want to go to Forster Sq which suggests you are considering going via Leeds to Interchange. This is not valid, as Bingley and Ilkley share common routeing points meaning only the shortest route via regular trains is permitted.

So you will need to purchase an additional Shipley to Bradford ticket (£1.80 CDR).

However, if you can get a ticket booking site to suggest you go via Leeds, then book it online, and print out the suggested services and confirmation pages and bring it with you. Then stick to the suggested services and they can't stop you as you are complying with your part of the contract and they must honour it.

tony_mac

Established Member
it's Section F that says
Also permitted is the route followed by direct trains to and from the common routeing point if the journey is made on those trains.

Then it gives an example that says you can go from Stratford to Birmingham to Solihull, despite doubling-back at Tyseley.

But it then rules out via Banbury and Coventry as that would involve doubling-back at Leamington Spa.

Clear as mud!

It's £5.30 for the Day Rover if you want to take whatever route(s) you feel like.

ashworth

Established Member
Isn't Ilkley just over the boundary in North Yorkshire and therefore the £5.30 West Yorkshire Day Rover will not be available from there as it also isn't from Skipton.

mog

Thanks for your help. Good idea about printing out the suggested routes, and the east coast website does give Ilklley - Bradford FS - Bingley as an option charging £3.10 (as an Ilkley - Bingley return).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm not sure. I dont think via Leeds and BDI can be valid, but via Shipley & BDQ is possibly valid despite doubling back on that direct train to the Routeing Point rule IF that rule trumps the no doubling back rule, which isn't clear.

via Leeds but not Bradford is valid as there is no doubling back.

glynn80

Established Member
I'm not sure. I dont think via Leeds and BDI can be valid, but via Shipley & BDQ is possibly valid despite doubling back on that direct train to the Routeing Point rule IF that rule trumps the no doubling back rule, which isn't clear.

It does trump the doubling back rule, as in the NRG example given of Stratford upon Avon to Solihull, doubling back of Tysley occurs and the route is still given as permitted.

The only stipulation is that the trains being taken from the Origin Station to the Common Routeing Point and from the Common Routeing Point to the Destination Station are direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.