• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice please. 35mm slides to digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee_Again

Hi All,

Not rail related unfortunately, but I do have a number (approx 100) of 35mm colour slides (c. 1969) that I'd like to convert. During this lockdown period all our local shops are closed. Any advice on which companies I can use. I'm really concerned about the slides being 'lost in the post'.

I live in Stevenage if anybody knows a local(ish) person/company that could do this.

Thank you,

Lee

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gazthomas

Established Member
Have you thought about doing this yourself? A number of people recommend the Epson v370 scanner. I know your volumes are low but it may still prove cheaper:

It would mitigate your concern about risk too.

Lee_Again

Hi,
Will a scanner have the resolution? I have a scanner (albeit a cheap one - Canon something !!) and I tried but it failed spectacularly. Professional services are about £40 for 100...but I like the idea of not sending in the post. That will also incur a cost.

gazthomas

Established Member
Absolutely, this particular scanner scans at 4,800 DPI so almost up there with lots of high end SLR cameras

Have a look on YouTube for DIY for examples:

About 11 mins in on this video, but there are many examples out there.

The going rate for one is about £130 (WEX)

Last edited:

Romsey

Just a warning about using higher definition when scanning older slides. Over 600 dpi my epson V200 scanner picks up the grain of the emulsion. Attachment IR041 was scanned at 500 dpi and when enlarged shows a mottled effect on the clouds from Agfa film. Kodachrome has a better grain structure but older Ektachrome can be a bit patchy for grain. Again modern E6 developing processes are much better than the bulk developing in years gone by.

Various editing software packages can correct colour cast and light. If the colour is really bad, try going no colour at all so you get a grey image, sometimes that can be quite effective. Image C1639 was a very basic b&w scan of discoloured Agfachrome 200 which started going orange after 15 years. For just removing spots, correcting alignments and brightening the image, the basic image editor on Windows 10 is OK.

Attachments

• IR041 184&186 Manulla Jn 27 May 1977.jpg
    IR041 184&186 Manulla Jn 27 May 1977.jpg
    891.7 KB · Views: 22
  • C1639 141R1244 Felsnau 11 Nov 1982.jpg
    C1639 141R1244 Felsnau 11 Nov 1982.jpg
    590.5 KB · Views: 22

najaB

Veteran Member
If the colour is really bad, try going no colour at all so you get a grey image, sometimes that can be quite effective.
If the colour cast is uniform then it should almost always be possible to get pretty close to the original colour with some time and effort. It may help to separate the image into RBG layers and treat each of them as if it was black and white. My dad had some old (c. 1965) Ektachromes that on first glance appeared to be irretrievable but we were able to get some pretty decent results in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.