• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice please: Bucharest to Sibiu (RO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

donald2007

I'm looking to make this journey in the summer. At worst case it may be a return but hopefully I can fly back from Sibiu.

I know to buy First Class from reading (locked) old threads but I would like to know a little more about what I will be getting myself in for.

The DB timetables show there are three daily direct services one is marked as R the rest are EuroNight (EN). There is also the possibility to change in Brasov Caracal with very short transfer times that I don't fancy!

Given this is a 5-7hr journey I'd like to know if these trains will have a proper restaurant car, will it take cash/cards and how much will it cost plus will it have Wi-Fi (just kidding). The DB site doesn't mention a restaurant on any train.

The CFRC website seems to be having a hissy fit and I can't get it to generate timetables nor tariffs for any journey (including those in next 30 days) to get an idea of the fare.

Plus, if anyone has an idea how much time to allow to get from the airport to the Bucharest North station it would be great.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Redonian

I am just back from Sibiu. The old town is very well worth a visit - plenty of accomodation and loads of excellent restaurants. From a railway point of view the museum is a mess but there are around 30 locos there in various states of decay and it's at a working roundhouse.
I have had a look at CFR's website and have found no problems with it. You have to register to buy tickets and you can only buy tickets on line for trains that require compulsory reservations.
The most obvious train from Bucharest is IR 1621 Dep 10:00 arr 15:40. No changes althought there are a number of others with one change but some are on trains with no reservation required. I had no problems buying tickets at ticket offices but I wasn't in Bucharest. First class on above train is 86.5 lei but can vary a bit depending on how close to the date of travel you book.
First class seemed pretty empty on trains I used but so was second when I used it on some. On other trains it was heaving. There was no pattern.
I saw no restaurant car on any CFR train and wifi, I think , is out of the question.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just to add to the above the Euronight train mentioned is EN 346. I actually photographed this at Sibiu. Despite what I said above it does have a restaurant car but no first class seating - just 2 second class coaches. The train goes to Vienna and is formed of all CFR stock. I would imagine they take leu and euros in the restaurant car. It's perfectly possible to book a seat on this on line from CFR Bucharest to Sibiu.

Last edited:

Zamracene749

IR1621 is shown as hauled stock, so you shouldn't have to suffer a Desiro! Take your own food and drink, go 1st class it's very comfy and I'd travel by day- the scenery in Transylvania is breathtaking it would be a huge shame to miss out on it!

As mentioned, Sibiu is a gorgeous little city- try Crama Sibiul Vechi for wonderful fresh Romanian food accompanied by live gypsy music- I can also recommend the restaurant in the Ramada hotel for fine(and cheap by our standards :) ) dining.

If you are into old trains, have a run out to sleepy Medias and back from Sibiu on R2565.
It costs pennies and should be hauled by a Sibiu class 60-the sound of a Sulzer 12LDA 28 working hard in the countryside brings memories of BR flooding back :)

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Take your own food and drink, go 1st class it's very comfy and I'd travel by day- the scenery in Transylvania is breathtaking it would be a huge shame to miss out on it!
As mentioned, Sibiu is a gorgeous little city- try Crama Sibiul Vechi for wonderful fresh Romanian food accompanied by live gypsy music- I can also recommend the restaurant in the Ramada hotel for fine(and cheap by our standards :) ) dining.

I'm plotting a journey from Budapest to Bucharest on day trains with overnight stops en route (for next year).
I thought Cluj and Sighisoara stopovers might be the most interesting, but CFR seem to have rerouted all the through trains via Arad and Sibiu while they upgrade the northern route.
I thought I would give Brasov a miss as it looks too big and touristy, but I can fit in another stopover if it's worth it.
Does this sound a decent plan to you?
Another place I thought of visiting is Deva, mainly because I come from Chester (Deva!) and there are allegedly common links back to the same Roman legion in both places.

Redonian

IR 1621 will definitely be loco + 4 coaches (one air con open first and 3 second class). I travelled on its eastbound working IR 1622. This is a Timisoara - Bucharest train. From Brasov haulage will be a Class Class 65.
I endorse the comments about the scenery. Still snow on the mountain tops last week.
As for local trains they were a mix of Desiros and 60's + coaches. A number of Desiros have been shunted away into the long grass which suggests poor maintenance facilities at Sibiu.
As for LNW GW Joint's trip I didn't go to any of the places mentioned but if you are looking for a stopping off point Sibiu should be on the list and as I mentioned above it has the bonus of the loco museum.

oldman

I stopped off in Deva once, in 1997 when Romania was still really run down, and there was nothing much to see. They like to make a lot of their supposed Roman ancestry. Alba Iulia on the line via Sighisoara was nicer.

Sighisoara, Sibiu and Medias as mentioned are the best places in the area.

Zamracene749

I haven't visited Deva, but the Chester link sounds interesting. Alba Iulia fortress citadel is well worth a visit but the town itself is unremarkable. Oradea is a nice city too, with trams as an added bonus if that's your thing!

Last edited:

donald2007

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my thread. I'll definitely use your tips in planning my trip to Sibiu.

Status
Not open for further replies.