• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice please for Twyford to Shrewsbury ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawried123

I'm intending travelling from Twyford to Shrewsbury (in connection with the fact that the Gerald train now seems to be serving food) on an off peak ticket. Although I get privs, I've used the public fares in this query. I was intending travelling out via London to Birmingham and onwards to Shrewsbury and returning via Cross-Country to Reading as that is quicker in the evening.
There appears to be a Via London ticket off-peak return at £96.60 and a Via Birmingham at £81.90. The Via Birmingham one clearly allows travel via London as it mentions not getting a train from Euston before 9:26 and includes the little star for travelling on the underground. And also in the notes it refers to travelling via Cross Country and looking at restriction 2V.

Could anyone advise that I am correct in assuming that I can use the via Birmingham one and travel out via London and back by Cross-Country.

And has anyone any idea why the Via Birmingham one allows you to travel via London but is cheaper than the Via London one..

Any advice appreciated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The 'via London' fare allows travel via the Trent Valley and Crewe which can be quicker than going through the West Midlands. The 'via Birmingham' fare is more restrictive in terms of choice of routes from London as it prevents use via the Trent Valley. Both allow travel via London.

Could anyone advise that I am correct in assuming that I can use the via Birmingham one and travel out via London and back by Cross-Country.
Yes, seems fine.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Quite a lot of different route specific possibilities for this journey. There's also via "High Wycombe" and "via Newport". And not the first time that there's arguably a cheaper alternative with better route flexibility out there, as @JonathanH has just pointed out, than say a "Not via London" ticket (where Cross Country is the fare setter).

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The Via Newport super off-peak return fare (£67.70) would seem to be ideal for sampling Gerald, if the times work...
Check restriction YQ on brfares.

Status
Not open for further replies.