• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aer Lingus & Emerald Airlines

317 forever

Established Member
I shall be flying from Manchester to Dublin and back in June.

My outbound flight is with Aer Lingus in-house but my return leg is with Emerald Airlines.

I wonder how they will compare? I understand that Emerald use smaller aircraft.

I had a voucher after a similar planned holiday became impossible in 2020. While they added 10% to the value, I was encouraged that the price rise since then has been sufficiently modest for the voucher to cover it in full.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northwichcat

Established Member
Note they have different baggage requirements.

Thomas Cook said:
Flying to Ireland with Aer Lingus? You can take a small personal item on board, such as a laptop, handbag or small backpack. Additionally, you can usually take a second item, no larger than 55x40x24cm and weighing up to 10kg. Go for priority, and that second item can be a nifty carry-on suitcase. No priority? Well, that suitcase might have to take a checked luggage detour. You can also opt to add a checked 20kg suitcase for an additional charge.

Note: Flights advertised as Aer Lingus Regional are operated by Emerald Airlines under a franchise agreement. They use smaller planes, meaning your included item is restricted to 7kg if you travel on one of these flights.

If your flights were the other way around you'd have at least a spare 3kg for bringing things back!

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Emerald use ATR72 aircraft and, as noted above, have a completely different cabin baggage policy to that of mainline Aer Lingus.

On mainline Aer Lingus the cabin baggage has to go in the hold unless you’ve paid to bring it on board. On Emerald its the other way around. Also note that the maximum dimensions for cabin baggage on Emerald are quite a bit smaller than on mainline Aer Lingus.

Emerald have been ok when I’ve used them from the Isle of Man. But the Emerald stands on the apron are a long way from the terminal, right round at the north east corner of the airport, so it will be a bus gate and it will be a 5-10 minute bus ride to the plane.

Dublin T2 has the new CT scanners, so there is that.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I have used Emerald quite a few times now, they are fine.
It seems to be a bit of a gamble whether or not you get Avios points or not (if you collect them) and the ATRs are rather cramped when full.
Staff are friendly and there is a small in-flight menu.

thejuggler

Aer lingus will be an Airbus jet and it will probably take longer to taxi at Manchester and Dublin than the flight!

Emerald will be a 70 seater prop jet which will be a slightly longer flight. I always enjoy a prop jet, noise cancelling earphones are worth having as they are noisy.

I've used Emerald between Leeds and Dublin and will be using them for a flight to Belfast in a few weeks. It was no different to other regional airline propjet airlines I've experience of including BA, British European, and VLM if anyone remembers them.

route101

Established Member
The ATRs are pretty decent, they are like a small jet inside. You board from the rear. Only used Aer Lingus Regional once when it was operated by Stobart Air.

WestCoast

Established Member
The only thing that’s a bit odd about Emerald into Dublin is that they seem to park their aircraft in the most bizarre places or at least that’s what it seems like. Last time I flew them we parked near the Ryanair pier in Terminal 1 and were bussed all the way around it for about 15 minutes to a gate at the other side of Terminal 2. It was a good half an hour before I got through passport control into arrivals.

berneyarms

Established Member
The only thing that’s a bit odd about Emerald into Dublin is that they seem to park their aircraft in the most bizarre places or at least that’s what it seems like. Last time I flew them we parked near the Ryanair pier in Terminal 1 and were bussed all the way around it for about 15 minutes to a gate at the other side of Terminal 2. It was a good half an hour before I got through passport control into arrivals.
That location allows for more rapid turnaround of the aircraft assuming landing on 28L and take off on 28R which is most of the time.

Yes it does mean unfortunately mean a longer bus trip to and from T2 for passengers, but there are no suitable stands immediately around that terminal for the turboprops.