• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aggregates trains working from Portbury 19/01/21 & 20/01/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKF

There is an empty aggregates train currently heading towards Portbury from Colnbrook Lafarge, returning loaded to Acton Yard later tonight.

Return working:

Hauled by GBRF’s 66711.

There’s also another return trip booked in for tomorrow. All trains are down as ‘STP’ services.

By my reckoning, aside from the occasional new train deliveries that ended late 2019, this is the first freight out of the docks for a couple of years since coal flows stopped. There have been a number of driver training/refresher runs in recent months plus the line has been maintained (weekly RHTT over autumn and NR measurement trains approximately monthly) but I didn’t spot any revenue earning runs throughout 2020.

Does anybody know what this flow is? There are no press releases from the dock company about new traffic (although their press office doesn’t put much out) and no mention I can find on here of new traffic.

They are currently demolishing some of the old coal loading infrastructure, so it could be demolition rubble, or it could be traffic that’s been diverted from other ports that are struggling due to Brexit issues. I don’t think the Lafarge origin is relevant, even though there is a Lafarge plasterboard factory at Portbury which did trial some gypsum trains a few years ago. Just curious as it’s been pretty quiet on the line for a while. I’ll pop down for a look later too.

(I hope this is the appropriate forum for this sort of question, I’m fairly new here so happy for moderators to move to a different one and give me guidance)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JKF

Thanks Mark.

It only got as far as Temple Meads in any case, cancelled there and then sent to Cardiff Docks. I staked out Ashton Junction level crossing but came home empty handed!

furnessvale

Established Member
Thanks Mark.

It only got as far as Temple Meads in any case, cancelled there and then sent to Cardiff Docks. I staked out Ashton Junction level crossing but came home empty handed!
Perhaps the ship has also been diverted to Cardiff Docks.

Freightmaster

Established Member
Thanks Mark.

The Portbury branch was blocked by a fallen tree, so the train was PINE'd (!) <:D

Another attempt will be made as soon as the line is cleared.

MARK

JKF

I watched the inbound service hauled by 66767 from the cycle path bridge in Pill, you can get right up to the fence there. Didn’t get out to watch the service the next day due to the weather (or to see 37610 on a NR service)

1EF19F93-D848-4F7A-A86C-C3CE9CB4C8B1.jpeg

it’s scheduled to run again tomorrow and Wednesday, I will watch it go down the gorge tomorrow if it’s on time.

66705 today, minus the Union Jack branding it previously carried. 20 HYA wagons. Inbound working passed beneath Brunel’s Clifton Suspension Bridge at 16:04. Nice to see some proper freight back on the line!

Last edited:

JKF

24/2 update: This has run on Tues and Weds for this week and last week, so seems to be a regular trip for now. The same loco works both days, we’ve been treated to 66721 Harry Beck this week. Load 20 every time I’ve seen this working.

2/3 update: The return loaded trip late in the evening is now down as a regular service on the WTT, running Mon-Thurs until mid May. Inbound trains are currently still STP workings.

No train yesterday (Mon) but it ran today with mackem-branded 66725 providing power, arriving 56 early. I managed to catch it at Horfield Junction this afternoon, hot on the tail of one of the elusive Avonmouth Bennets Siding to West Drayton aggregate trains.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.