• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

AirPods (or similar) whilst driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJames

Established Member
I did a search before I posted this thread and found this https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/earphone-policies-for-train-drivers.161043/

A similar-ish query but a slightly updated version, over the last two weeks I noticed two LU drivers with AirPods in, one on the Victoria line and one on the Piccadilly line. I was standing right by the front door so the train slowed right down, I know I was not mistaken. I genuinely don't mind as I trust that they are still following the same procedures but just trying to liven up their days a little, but curious as to whether this actually is not allowed or if perhaps something has been changed/relaxed recently? I wasn't in a position to see whether they had both earphones in, kind of made the assumption they didn't but not sure.

Of course, I regularly see Victoria line drivers in particular wearing ear defenders - this is not what I am querying.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mawkie

There doesn't seem to be much impetus to do anything about it from management - I've seen train ops booking on for duty with airpods in.

setdown

Multiple times I've seen drivers on the Central line with full over-ear headphones on.

Mzzzs

I saw a central line driver with headphones in, watching something on the phone and then taking a long time to release the doors.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I saw a central line driver with headphones in, watching something on the phone and then taking a long time to release the doors.

If I saw that I would report it.

On the other hand, it's quite incongruous that we consider listening to the radio (not watching films) to improve attention of road vehicle drivers yet we strictly prohibit train drivers (who do a far more repetitive job and are thus more likely to have their attention wander) from doing so.

Daniel

Established Member
There doesn't seem to be much impetus to do anything about it from management - I've seen train ops booking on for duty with airpods in.

Nothing wrong with booking on for duty wearing airpods.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Are they airpods or ear buds to try and minimise damage from the squeaky wheels . Some drivers do wear ear defenders.

Tube driver

Be careful with what you claim to see.

Ear defenders are available to drivers and are somewhat necessary nowadays. Most drivers will end up buying their own as the company supplied ones can get a little uncomfortable after a while as they press quite hard into the ear and the padding isn’t up to much so drivers may be seen to wear to the casual observer big overhead headphones but they are anything but.

Jimini

Established Member
I once saw a central line driver (a year ago or so now) happily playing Solitaire on his phone whilst waiting to depart Leytonstone e/b.

BJames

Established Member
I wonder are some of those wearing AirPods just using their rather good noise cancelling feature?
Perhaps, and to be honest I equally don't mind them listening to music if it helps their attention or break the monotony of the day (especially on the victoria line!). I wonder if questioned they would likely say they were using the noise cancelling feature anyway.

william.martin

On Moderation
I saw a Jubilee line driver having a little dance with his headphones on while stopped at Green Park the once, I guess assuming they don't lose concentration it may brighten up there day to listen to Justin Bieber on loop :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.