• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Airport runway viewing

TonyColeman2

Being very new to airplane watching/collecting do airports have publically accessible areas to observe movements etc at each airport and how do I go about finding them?

Any help for a inexperienced person starting off in aeroplane world

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It really depends on the airport. But most larger airports have public viewing areas or parks located somewhere around the perimeter. A small number have viewing areas within the terminal, but these are generally airside so you'd need a valid boarding pass to use them.

What airports are you thinking of going to? Your profile location is set to Nuneaton, so Birmingham and East Midlands would be obvious candidates, possibly Manchester, or Luton and Heathrow too at a push. We may be able to advise on the available facilities there. The airport website may also advise, or Googling "X airport viewing area" may help.

Most small airports intended for General Aviation have cafes with good runway views. Leicester, Coventry and Wellesbourne are probably the closest ones to you that fall into those categories.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Being very new to airplane watching/collecting do airports have publically accessible areas to observe movements etc at each airport and how do I go about finding them?

Any help for a inexperienced person starting off in aeroplane world
"The Airport" pub has a large beer garden located right next to the North end of the runway at Manchester.

Towards the southern end of Manchester Airport there is also Runway Visitor Park, with a viewing area and various other aviation related attractions.

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I would recommend booking a "planespotter package" at the Renaissance Hotel in Bath Road on the north side of Heathrow. Do two nights there and you'll have a whole uninterrupted day with a perfect view - and you won't need a zoom lens to take photos either... I'd advise taking a laptop so you can have Flight Radar 24 running so you can see what's about to come into view.

Just make sure you specify a runway view room when you book. I'd recommend doing this in May, June or July for maximum daylight hours.

The below photograph was taken from INSIDE a hotel room, believe it or not...

1701047474831.png

ANDREW_D_WEBB

If you ever find yourself in Madeira leave plenty of time for your flight home. The smoking area in departures gives a grandstand view of the runway and apron.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
There's also a great view of the runway at London City Airport from the opposite bank of the Thames, next to the Newham council building and Royal Albert DLR Station

thejuggler

Don't forget military.

Coninsgby is localish to Nuneaton, but for a free airshow, RAF Valley on Anglesey takes some beating. Get a good day and you can sit on the beach and watch the comings and goings. Military pilots get a little more freedom than the civils! Its mainly Hawk training, but you may also get other aircraft visiting.

Lossiemouth is similar, but thats not a place you pass through!

Lost property

I'm not being intrusive, but, how old are you and do you have your own transport please ?

Remember, aviation is as diverse as the railways so you may well find G/A is more attractive than the commercial types ( Tatenhill isn't that far from you, and neither is Halfpenny Green in this respect ) or you may feel drawn to military types. If so, Lakenheath / Mildenhall / Waddington / Coningsby to name but some have dedicated viewing areas, and, at Valley, if you park by the bridge, you can alternate between aircraft and trains. Not a runway, but a climb up a hill will take you to the Mach Loop and you can enjoy watching low level flying close up.

But please, and certainly at G/A airfields, don't be tempted to go for a wander on an active airfield. As with the railways, the more intense spotters think nothing of going, or trying to, where they are not allowed.

It would appear my post crossed with the previous one. One of those quirks of the internet.

TonyColeman2

I'm not being intrusive, but, how old are you and do you have your own transport please ?

Remember, aviation is as diverse as the railways so you may well find G/A is more attractive than the commercial types ( Tatenhill isn't that far from you, and neither is Halfpenny Green in this respect ) or you may feel drawn to military types. If so, Lakenheath / Mildenhall / Waddington / Coningsby to name but some have dedicated viewing areas, and, at Valley, if you park by the bridge, you can alternate between aircraft and trains. Not a runway, but a climb up a hill will take you to the Mach Loop and you can enjoy watching low level flying close up.

But please, and certainly at G/A airfields, don't be tempted to go for a wander on an active airfield. As with the railways, the more intense spotters think nothing of going, or trying to, where they are not allowed.

It would appear my post crossed with the previous one. One of those quirks of the internet.
I am in my 40’s and I do drive and also have discounted/free travel on the rails , looking more at passenger planes whilst I find my wings ( pun intended)

Lost property

I am in my 40’s and I do drive and also have discounted/free travel on the rails , looking more at passenger planes whilst I find my wings ( pun intended)
Thanks for the reply.

The reason for asking, was, if you were younger, you could easily find yourself in the company of "top spotter, Billy Bonehead"...an "expert" ....in his own mind, on all things aviation. See also the histrionic and infantile Y T clips and, worse still, when they make it to mainstream television as "experts " and could be influenced as a result.

As you drive, the EMA Aeropark would be a good option, albeit many of the exhibits are a bit worse for wear, but, you can spend all day there adjacent to the runway, (Spring to Autumn) and there's a public car park when closed. They sometimes do a "Freighter Friday " opening so you can enjoy watching various freight types arrive.

Don't be too dismissive about G/A for example...apart from the well known types, there are some truly wonderful obscure weird and wonderful types flying.

DanNCL

Established Member
Newcastle unfortunately isn’t good for runway views.
You used to be able to stand on the road on top of the Metro concourse but at some point in the last few years that’s been made restricted access.
The only landside options now are under the flight path, at the west end on the B6918/Ponteland Road and at the east end on Dinnington Main Road. The latter isn’t walking distance from the terminal building and is only easily accessed by car. The view from both ends is obscured by the wooden perimeter fence and by vegetation.

I would recommend the Runway Visitor Park at Manchester Airport. It has a fantastic view of both runways and has a few aircraft on display - specifically a Nimrod, a Hawker Siddeley Trident, a prototype BAE Avro RJ and Concorde G-BOAC. They offer a detailed Concorde tour which is excellent, and you can sit inside Concorde which is something not allowed on many of the other preserved Concordes. Concorde is inside a purpose built glass fronted hangar overlooking the airfield, the other aircraft are outside.

Another good spot at Manchester is just to the north of the runways at the junction of Shadow Moss Road and the old Ringway Road - adjacent to the new A555 Relief Road. You can view all incoming aircraft (wind direction permitting). It is just a short walk from Shadow Moss Metrolink stop and if you are in need of refreshment, the 'Tatton Arms' is not far away.

rf_ioliver

Another good spot at Manchester is just to the north of the runways at the junction of Shadow Moss Road and the old Ringway Road - adjacent to the new A555 Relief Road. You can view all incoming aircraft (wind direction permitting). It is just a short walk from Shadow Moss Metrolink stop and if you are in need of refreshment, the 'Tatton Arms' is not far away.
There's a few on YouTube who seem to be permanently camped at Manchester. I understand it's an official place to plane spot?

Jamesrob637

Established Member
If you ever find yourself in Madeira leave plenty of time for your flight home. The smoking area in departures gives a grandstand view of the runway and apron.

Ah it's still there then: I thought that it might have been a COVID casualty and closed down.