• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Albrighton-carlisle via S&c

Status
Not open for further replies.

nutter

Soon I shall be travelling from albrighton to carlisle via settle on the outward journey (walking from ribblehead to dent), NRE have told me to change at wolves, manchester and leeds, and then the return journey shall be straight from carlisle to albrighton via the WCML

NRE have also told me I might need to buy extra tickets.

Would a standard albrighton-carlisle ticket be enough. or will i need to get an alb-car via leeds ticket, that will cover the return leg too (it been sorter than the tickets specified route

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

Try a Albrighton to Ribblehead SVR.

The ticket isn't valid via Leeds so don't try it - but this journey IS valid:

From Albrighton to Hellifield departure at 12:00 on 15 Nov Thursday

departure 14:10 arrival 17:46 traveltime 3:36 with 3 changes. T T T T
Albrighton 14:10 Train 2G30 London Standa Birmin
Wolverhampton 14:27
Wolverhampton 14:44 Train 1F46 London Trolle First Reservations Possible Liverpool Lime Street
Crewe 15:22
Crewe 15:32 Train 1S63 Virgin Cold B First Reservations Possible Glasgow Central
Lancaster 16:32
Lancaster 16:52 Train 2H01 Northe Standa Skipto
Hellifield 17:46

nutter

I need to leaving on the very first train of the day, I'm putting 6 hrs aside for the walk as the hills are quite steep.

Is there anyway i can get the northern part of the S&C in too.=, with the return along the WCML

I'm trying to get route miles up too, as I've only really been on one long distance journey (alb-fareham).

Would it be cheaper to get a single to hellifield (or lancaster), then a YPR single from hellifield to carlisle and then a YPR single carlisle to albrighton?

Thanks tom

EDIT: I've just tried (using NRE) putting in the albrighton-lancaster leg (about 3:30, so ok) but then it says to get from lancaster to settle should take another 3 hrs via kieghly (IIRC).

Just also tried lancaster - hellifeild and the next train is at about 11 am.

I need to be at ribblehead by about 11 am, because the hike to dent will take about 5hrs 30, and i need to get back before the last trains
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just to let you know i've sorted it out myself

evil_hippo

Albrighton to Appleby! Anything West Midlands to Appleby is valid via Leeds. They are valid via Carlisle in addition, making such a round trip absolutely possible. After leaving Appleby, simply switch to your return portion.

nutter

Oh nuts

I just brought my long leg tickets. New street - ribblehead return (I did select YPR, but as it's before 10am i don't know if it's valid) and on the day I'll get an alb-bhm (about £6) and a dent-ribblehead single (can't be too much)

If anyone wants to come along for the walk see the whernsdale hike thread in the meet section. Should take 5hrs 30 been kind

T

Tom

If you're doing the S&C in one direction only then I don't see why you'll need the Dent - Ribblehead single?

nutter

Because i'm walking from ribblehead to dent.

If i'm not fussy about seat reservations (which I ain't) then will the BHM-RIB be valid for the northern half of the route? If it is then I don't need to worry about the dent-ribblehead bit

Unfortunatly, if i want to do the northern half then I will have an over night stay, which I can't do, so it looks like it's only the southern bit i'll be able to do, unless i can find 1hr 30mins in the walk. If the ticket is valid via carlisle then it's a case of i'll just bear it in mind when i get to dent

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Oh nuts

I just brought my long leg tickets. New street - ribblehead return (I did select YPR, but as it's before 10am i don't know if it's valid) and on the day I'll get an alb-bhm (about £6) and a dent-ribblehead single (can't be too much)
Birmingham Stns - Ribblehead SVR £33.80 Route Any Permitted 8A Valid Any Train
Albrighton .........- Ribblehead SVR £33.80 Route Any Permitted 8A Valid Any Train
Birmingham Stns - Ribblehead SVR £40.35 Route Any Permitted 8A Valid Any Train
Albrighton .........- Appleby SVR £43.10 Route Any Permitted 8A Valid Any Train
Albrighton .........- Appleby SVR £32.40 Route Manchester 8A Valid Any Train
Albrighton .........- Carlisle SVR £41.40 Route Any Permitted 8A Valid Any Train
Birmingham.........- Carlisle SVR £44.90 Route Lancaster 8A Valid Any Train

So, Tom thinks that a ticket to Appleby is valid via Carlisle? I have checked the RG and can't find that is the case. Although guards will accept it I'm sure.

RPs for Albrighton are: Shrewsbury and Wolverhampton. Both pass the fares rule.
RPs for Appleby are: Carlisle and Hellifield Group. Carlisle FAILS the fares rule, but Hellifield is fine.

using Shrewsbury as a routeing point, valid maps are:-
Hellifield Group Shrewsbury BD BD+EH BD+NC

using Wolves as a routeing point, valid maps are:-
Hellifield Group Wolverhampton BS+EH BS+MH BS+NC

BD allows travel via Manchester and Hellifield.
BD+EH allows you to go via Blackburn and Hellifield (for the rare occasions when such trains exist)!
BD+NC allows travel via Preston and Lancaster
BS+BH and BS+MH are pretty much the same as BD+EH
BS+NC is pretty much the same as BD+NC

nutter - why the need for seperate Albrighton-Brum and Brum-Ribblehead tickets? if you need to go to Brum, an Albrighton-Ribblehead IS valid via Brum providing you do not double back (e.g. you can return via Walsall/Rugeley), but if you want to double back for some reason just get a Wolves-Brum for the bit where you are going back and forth to Brum.
(I did select YPR, but as it's before 10am i don't know if it's valid)
I'm a bit confused by why you may think it may not be valid.

The ticket code is 8A which is "Valid by any train" and they SHOULD have told you this at the ticket office.

In addition, even if the saver did have restrictions, you would be able to travel at peak time on Virgin services (and, it seems, CrossCountry too) due to the railcard easement.

nutter

I brought the tickets on-line

The reason why I have decided to buy the alb-bhm seperate is because the direct alb-rib ticket's return leg was spread over 2 days, which I can't do, so i ned to for increased flexability. I only used NRE.

Also, the only tickets NRE showed as a return was an open return, presumably as it's before 10am, looks like I payed way over the odds (the bhm-ribb tickets cost £56 ish)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I brought the tickets on-line

The reason why I have decided to buy the alb-bhm seperate is because the direct alb-rib ticket's return leg was spread over 2 days, which I can't do, so i ned to for increased flexability. I only used NRE.

Also, the only tickets NRE showed as a return was an open return, presumably as it's before 10am, looks like I payed way over the odds (the bhm-ribb tickets cost £56 ish)
I didn't know National Rail sold tickets, is that a new thing?

The 10am restriction only applies to a few tickets, it may be that in your area some tickets (e.g. CDRs) have a restriction of "not valid before 1000", code F4 has that restriction, but the SVR for your journey has code 8A, so it is valid on any train. Never assume validity - check!

The only advantage of a SOR over a SVR in this case is that you can break journey, including staying overnight on the outward and return legs over 1 month. A saver outward is only valid on the start date.
you can spread your return journey over 2 days (indeed any time up to 1 month) with a Saver.

you only need a SOR if you want to spread the outward over multiple days.

nutter

I got the only tickets valid for the 2 journeys i wanted.

I actrully brought the tickets from virgin, but via the nationalrail website.

I didn't want a saver return because if the worst does happen and the weather gets so bad that I have to bunk up in emergancy shelter for the night then I can still get home (with bosses been annoyed, but at least I'll be alive). The last thing I want is to have to set up a basher and then have the thought of how'm I gonna get home all through the night.

I know it may seem like i'm over dramatising this hike, but with the weather like it is today and my way of assuming the worst (anything else is better) it's just the way I do it

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I didn't want a saver return because if the worst does happen and the weather gets so bad that I have to bunk up in emergancy shelter for the night then I can still get home...
Yep you can with a saver too! As long as you dont stay there for more than a month it's fine ;)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Well, whats done is done. Just gotta get on with it now don't I
You could get a refund. You may be subject to a £10 admin fee, but even then you would be £11 up overall.

They may waive the fee if they're generous!

Status
Not open for further replies.