• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alexa Problem

dangie

Established Member
I have two Alexa devices, an Alexa Echo in the lounge and an Alexa Echo Dot in the bedroom. Both of them suffer an intermittent problem, but not at the same time.

Basically they don’t respond to voice commands. They don’t even light up. The microphone is not muted. Pressing any button on the device does nothing. They appear dead to the world. I don’t think they have lost internet connection as the Alexa app shows they are still connected to WiFi.

However I have the Spotify App on my phone & tablet. If I open the app, select some music and select it to play on the non-responding Alexa, it plays. Speaking to Alexa still does nothing. I have to stop the music via the app.

If this was happening on just one Alexa device I’d put it down to a device fault, but as it’s on both I’m guessing it’s a bit deeper than that. The only way to resolve the Alexa problem is to switch off at the mains plug and switch back on. All is then ok until it next happens. I’ve Googled the problem but found nothing which matches. Any help much appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
I have two Alexa devices, an Alexa Echo in the lounge and an Alexa Echo Dot in the bedroom. Both of them suffer an intermittent problem, but not at the same time.

Basically they don’t respond to voice commands. They don’t even light up. The microphone is not muted. Pressing any button on the device does nothing. They appear dead to the world. I don’t think they have lost internet connection as the Alexa app shows they are still connected to WiFi.

However I have the Spotify App on my phone & tablet. If I open the app, select some music and select it to play on the non-responding Alexa, it plays. Speaking to Alexa still does nothing. I have to stop the music via the app.

If this was happening on just one Alexa device I’d put it down to a device fault, but as it’s on both I’m guessing it’s a bit deeper than that. The only way to resolve the Alexa problem is to switch off at the mains plug and switch back on. All is then ok until it next happens. I’ve Googled the problem but found nothing which matches. Any help much appreciated.
In addition to the mains supply, do they have any internal batteries ? If so, test them.

Metroman62

I had an echo dot become unresponsive the other year. It was in my conservatory and got too hot. Putting it in the shade solved the problem. Maybe yours are getting too warm or there is not enough air flow around them?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
they have gone on strike for better terms and conditions. You shouldn't shout at them so much. They are becoming sentient. ;)

Could they be dusty or a bit damp? my friend had one in his bedroom next to the en suite door. he showered often with the door open listening to music or the radio via the Alexa and the Alexa thing didn't like it the steam - it damaged the insides somehow.

Trackman

Established Member

I know with my Alexa Echo Dots there is a mute button (which looks like a tube roundel), is the ring at the bottom blue or red? Red means it's muted.

westv

Established Member
they have gone on strike for better terms and conditions. You shouldn't shout at them so much. They are becoming sentient. ;)

Could they be dusty or a bit damp? my friend had one in his bedroom next to the en suite door. he showered often with the door open listening to music or the radio via the Alexa and the Alexa thing didn't like it the steam - it damaged the insides somehow.
I would worry if Alexa gets moist. :D

dangie

Established Member
I know with my Alexa Echo Dots there is a mute button (which looks like a tube roundel), is the ring at the bottom blue or red? Red means it's muted.
Thanks. No it's not muted. Pressing any buttons do nothing.
Note: As I said in my initial post, disconnecting the power and reconnecting restores it back to normal operation until it next has a hissy-fit.

Trackman

Established Member
Thanks. No it's not muted. Pressing any buttons do nothing.
Note: As I said in my initial post, disconnecting the power and reconnecting restores it back to normal operation until it next has a hissy-fit.
When you say 'Alexa' does the blue light appear? (obviously when it's not working)

Mikw

I get intermittant non response issues with mine. So i turn them off and on once a week and now i don't get the problems.

dangie

Established Member
When you say 'Alexa' does the blue light appear? (obviously when it's not working)
No it doesn’t light. It does nothing. However if I select music from the Spotify app on my phone and ask it to play on Alexa it does. If I then ask Alexa by voice command to stop it doesn’t. If I select stop on the Spotify app on my phone it does. I’m guessing from this it is active and receiving a WiFi signal. Like I initially said, the problem is affecting both Alexa devices and not just the one.

Trackman

Established Member
No it doesn’t light. It does nothing. However if I select music from the Spotify app on my phone and ask it to play on Alexa it does. If I then ask Alexa by voice command to stop it doesn’t. If I select stop on the Spotify app on my phone it does. I’m guessing from this it is active and receiving a WiFi signal. Like I initially said, the problem is affecting both Alexa devices and not just the one.
Yes, it would still work without Wi-Fi, it would just say 'No Wi-Fi ' or whatever.
Once you have them going again try saying 'Alexa, update firmware'
Strange it is happening with both, what happens if you just disconnect one of them?

dangie

Established Member
Yes, it would still work without Wi-Fi, it would just say 'No Wi-Fi ' or whatever.
Once you have them going again try saying 'Alexa, update firmware'
Strange it is happening with both, what happens if you just disconnect one of them?
Thank you. I’ll give it a try later when I get home.

We have one that seems to need a reboot every now and then. Must have Microsoft in there ;) when I worked and had a problem with my computer if the IT help line was answered by Brenda you only ever got one answer reboot, so she was known by everyone as reboot Brenda!