• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alighting at a London stop before Victoria Coach Station on National Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR 444

Established Member
Tomorrow I will be travelling up to London by National Express to visit some old friends. I chose this over the train on cost grounds and the fact that I had a 50% off voucher from a previous delayed journey. This however comes at the disadvantage of taking an hour longer, with a particularly long slog through Greater London.

Considering that my final destination is nowhere near Victoria, I was wondering if it is acceptable and common practice for Victoria Coach Station ticket holders to alight at a stop before on a city-bound coach route. In my case, I would alight at Earls Court and take the Piccadilly Line into Central London from there (most likely Holborn or Kings Cross). This would save me 20 minutes of time on the coach and give my legs a well needed stretch after a 3-hour journey.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Couple of caveats:
1. Is that a stop allowing hold luggage if you have any? Some of the central London stops don't.
2. If you do have hold luggage and it is allowed, you may want to tell the driver you intend to do that before boarding, as otherwise it may be hidden behind someone else's.
3. If nobody is booked to alight there the coach may not even pass it.

Otherwise I can't see an issue.

PTR 444

Established Member
Couple of caveats:
1. Is that a stop allowing hold luggage if you have any? Some of the central London stops don't.
2. If you do have hold luggage and it is allowed, you may want to tell the driver you intend to do that before boarding, as otherwise it may be hidden behind someone else's.
I only intend to take hand luggage, but even so would it still be a good idea to let the driver know I intend to get off one stop early?
3. If nobody is booked to alight there the coach may not even pass it.
In my case, I don’t see why it wouldn’t. I’m travelling up from Poole and whether we take the M25/M4 or M3/A316 route after Thorpe Interchange (the two fastest into London from the Southampton direction), they both meet again at Chiswick anyway.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In my case, I don’t see why it wouldn’t. I’m travelling up from Poole and whether we take the M25/M4 or M3/A316 route after Thorpe Interchange (the two fastest into London from the Southampton direction), they both meet again at Chiswick anyway.

No absolutes, but NatEx coach drivers can reroute as they wish to avoid congestion provided they don't miss out a stop with prebooked passengers. The exception would be where they've registered that part of a route as a local bus route to claim BSOG, but I'm sure I recall reading somewhere that they've stopped doing that because while it did bring extra income it reduced flexibility to avoid congestion.

sftfan1909

I've jumped off a few times early at Earl's Court and also once Heathrow without issue but it's a bit of a gamble as if no one else has booked the stop we have skipped it. Wouldn't advise it if you have any luggage in the hold though

PTR 444

Established Member
No absolutes, but NatEx coach drivers can reroute as they wish to avoid congestion provided they don't miss out a stop with prebooked passengers. The exception would be where they've registered that part of a route as a local bus route to claim BSOG, but I'm sure I recall reading somewhere that they've stopped doing that because while it did bring extra income it reduced flexibility to avoid congestion.
Even so, I would still expect there is a good chance that at least one of the above routes is available. The only potential risk I can see is if there is a closure of the M3 north of Winchester and our coach is still south of there, which might cause the driver to divert along the A31/A3 via Guildford and hence into London via Kingston.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Even so, I would still expect there is a good chance that at least one of the above routes is available. The only potential risk I can see is if there is a closure of the M3 north of Winchester and our coach is still south of there, since it may become quicker to take the A31/A3 via Guildford and hence into London via Kingston.

If you're willing to take the chance, fine, it just isn't guaranteed.

PTR 444

Established Member
If you're willing to take the chance, fine, it just isn't guaranteed.
In the greater scheme of things it’s not the end of the world. Earls Court is convenient for the Piccadilly Line to get me to my final destination so would be my preferred alighting point, but Victoria is only an extra 20 minutes away so not a big deal in the greater scheme of things. At least it isn’t in the middle of nowhere.

Lewlew

If no one is booked to get off there then the coach won’t stop. It may still pass through. We used to do the same at Hammersmith when I drove the 032.

Status
Not open for further replies.