• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

All Line 7 Day Rover - First Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

anti-pacer

Established Member
I'm off next week and planning to do the above from Sunday to Saturday.

Any tips and which First Class is the best and worst?

I'm going to try and get in Kyle of Localsh, Cromer, Penzance, Dover, and Holyhead, amongst other places.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes to get best value you'll want to focus on VTEC and VTWC as well EMT and GWR who aren't bad and the GWR Pullman is excellent (but you have to pay for it). You'll definitely want to get in the WAG Express which is the Arriva Trains Wales Loco hauled service from Holyhead to Cardiff in the morning and then back again in the evening but it only runs Monday to Friday.

You'll want to avoid Northern and (apart from the WAG) ATW as they don't offer first class at all. Other operators like EMT, GA and Chiltern don't offer it on all services (primarily not on the local stuff around Lincolnshire and Norfolk and only on selected Chiltern services) whilst a lot of the London commuter TOCs like SouthEastern, Southern, Thameslink, Great Northern and most of SWT might offer first class but it's little more than a slightly larger seat (or exactly the same seat in some cases) with an antimacassar. Occasionally there isn't even a door between first class and standard!

So you'll want to focus on the long distance intercity operators (VTEC and VTWC) or the long distance services of mixed operators (like EMT and GWR).

You might want to sample the Sleepers as well (Night Riviera to Cornwall operated by GWR from Paddington and Caledonian Sleeper from Euston to Glasgow/Edinburgh and Fort William/Inverness/Aberdeen) but supplements will be required on top of your ALR.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Yes to get best value you'll want to focus on VTEC and VTWC as well EMT and GWR who aren't bad and the GWR Pullman is excellent (but you have to pay for it). You'll definitely want to get in the WAG Express which is the Arriva Trains Wales Loco hauled service from Holyhead to Cardiff in the morning and then back again in the evening but it only runs Monday to Friday.

You'll want to avoid Northern and (apart from the WAG) ATW as they don't offer first class at all. Other operators like EMT, GA and Chiltern don't offer it on all services (primarily not on the local stuff around Lincolnshire and Norfolk and only on selected Chiltern services) whilst a lot of the London commuter TOCs like SouthEastern, Southern, Thameslink, Great Northern and most of SWT might offer first class but it's little more than a slightly larger seat (or exactly the same seat in some cases) with an antimacassar. Occasionally there isn't even a door between first class and standard!

So you'll want to focus on the long distance intercity operators (VTEC and VTWC) or the long distance services of mixed operators (like EMT and GWR).

You might want to sample the Sleepers as well (Night Riviera to Cornwall operated by GWR from Paddington and Caledonian Sleeper from Euston to Glasgow/Edinburgh and Fort William/Inverness/Aberdeen) but supplements will be required on top of your ALR.

Thanks for that Ainsworth.

A lot of my journeys will include Sleepers but I want a single cabin and access to the lounge car. Can I still upgrade to a single cabin if I went for the Standard rover? Also, are you able to use the lounge car?

My daytime long distance journeys with proper first class total 6. They include 2 on VTEC, 2 on GWR, 1 on GA and 1 on XC.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A lot of my journeys will include Sleepers but I want a single cabin and access to the lounge car. Can I still upgrade to a single cabin if I went for the Standard rover? Also, are you able to use the lounge car?

I believe so but on the Caledonian Sleeper the upgrade to a solo standard class berth would be more than if you were upgraded a first class ticket to a berth.

My daytime long distance journeys with proper first class total 6. They include 2 on VTEC, 2 on GWR, 1 on GA and 1 on XC.

GA aren't really anything to write home about in first class even on the London to Norwich route. Crisps, biscuits and a cup of tea/coffee and you have to collect from the buffet. XC first class is quite good though (at least on a weekday).

If you're only doing six long distance journeys in first class over the seven days of validity you might be better getting a standard class ALR as otherwise it might not be very cost effective.

Iskra

Established Member
I think you should give VTWC a try too. VTEC, VTWC, Arriva Trains Wales, Caledonian Sleeper and EMT Breakfast Services are the only times 1st is truly worth it in my opinion. GWR and XC's offering is pretty limited and AGA's is poor.

Crossover

Established Member
I would also advise against doing lengthy journeys in the North of Scotland on a 1st Class ALR - on the likes of Kyle and Wick I believe First Class is declassified anyway and the 156's on Oban and Mallaig don't have it at all. On top of that, it's such a long journey and Standard Class fares (even walk up) aren't horrifically expensive, it is a waste of a FC ALR (possibly a waste of a Standard Class ALR too actually, as there is the Spirit of Scotland 4 in 8)

anti-pacer

Established Member
I would also advise against doing lengthy journeys in the North of Scotland on a 1st Class ALR - on the likes of Kyle and Wick I believe First Class is declassified anyway and the 156's on Oban and Mallaig don't have it at all. On top of that, it's such a long journey and Standard Class fares (even walk up) aren't horrifically expensive, it is a waste of a FC ALR (possibly a waste of a Standard Class ALR too actually, as there is the Spirit of Scotland 4 in 8)

Yeah I'm beginning to think that.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well it's all booked, starting Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.