• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

All Line Rover Report - OCT/NOV 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownoSignalman

I am currently nearing the end of the 1st day of my 3rd ALR (7-Day). This is my second one in first class and this time, I am taking my girlfriend along for the ride.

I thought, this time round, I would share with you a daily log on this post of what we get up to. I will write up day 1's antics at the hotel later and get it posted sometime tomorrow. But for now, I just wanted to give you a bit of background about what to expect.

- Because I am not travelling alone, I will not be taking down numbers and also not taking many pictures. However if I see any stock workings out of the ordinary then of course I will comment on them.
- This trip is designed to ease my girlfriend into long-distance train travel and make it as comfortable as possible for her (she's currently recovering from shoulder surgery.) Therefore, there will be less technical details and more first class "hospitality bashing", so expect comments on scenery, food & drink, levels of customer service and anything else which catches my eye, good and bad!
- As I've done a few ALRs I'll try and add some little tips which could prove useful to anyone planning what I believe should be near the top of every rail enthusiast's bucket list... and is even more satisfying when you can get the balance of technical detail and hospitality perfect and enjoy as much as you can get for your money as possible!

Stay tuned for day 1.
KD

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Welcome to the forum DownoSignalman.
Looking forward to reading about it.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Looking forward to this. I did 3 in the 1970s and a 14 “dayer” in 1984. I miss those days but have swapped them for married bliss kids grand kids and first class air travel . I used to be boring in that my start of an all line rover was always the 00.08 off Preston the Royal Highlander to Inverness. Great fun

freelander

Looking forward to this. I did 3 in the 1970s and a 14 “dayer” in 1984. I miss those days but have swapped them for married bliss kids grand kids and first class air travel . I used to be boring in that my start of an all line rover was always the 00.08 off Preston the Royal Highlander to Inverness. Great fun
I am looking at doing a trip next year around Scotland and the east coast with an ARL 7day First Class, how do you res a seat when you already have your ticket, the earliest train I would be getting would be around 8am to Glasgow and at weekend which could be busy after that the trains would be after 9am weekday, the trains I am looking at would be the virgin west coast and virgin east coast to Inverness,
any info would be grateful, looking forward to Downsignalman report

Freelander

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
A ticket office will be able to do all the seat reservations you need.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Looking forward to reading the report when it's ready, and a warm welcome both to the forum and to the Trip Reporters Association!

I've always wanted to do a First Class ALR so I'm rather keen to read about it unsurprisingly. More importantly, I hope your girlfriend's recovery from the surgery has gone smoothly and that she's having/had a great time!

Status
Not open for further replies.