• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

All Line Rovers - what would be most important to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Requeststop

I was the other way round, it took me ages to get the bypass at Frome because I was usually behind a 37 on the Weymouth when going that way and they always called at Frome.

Actually on my up-coming ALR, I have decided to go to Weymouth from Waterloo, and then up to Bath taking in Frome and then back to Paddington. Bournemouth - Weymouth is a line I have not done in many years and Weymouth - Bath is the same. Doing it on a Sunday so hoping that the curse of Engineering Works stays safely in the witches brew pot. So hoping to clear the Frome branch next month.

As an aside, one of my old jobs was to load Bitumen wagons (40Ton-ers) to be sent to Frome from the old (Mobil) refinery at Coryton (Essex) in the very late 1970's.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Buttsy

Established Member
Actually on my up-coming ALR, I have decided to go to Weymouth from Waterloo, and then up to Bath taking in Frome and then back to Paddington. Bournemouth - Weymouth is a line I have not done in many years and Weymouth - Bath is the same. Doing it on a Sunday so hoping that the curse of Engineering Works stays safely in the witches brew pot. So hoping to clear the Frome branch next month.

As an aside, one of my old jobs was to load Bitumen wagons (40Ton-ers) to be sent to Frome from the old (Mobil) refinery at Coryton (Essex) in the very late 1970's.

If you're planning it this weekend, buses between Wool & Weymouth & Weymouth & Dorchester West.

Polarbear

Established Member
For me, it would somewhat depend on the ALR I was in posession of. Armed with a 1st class version, I'd probably concentrate on those runs where I could maximise use of the 1st class facilities.

With a standard ALR, I'd be more tempted to explore parts of the UK that aren't easily accessed using regional rovers or day rangers, using the ALR to get between areas.

However, given the money, I could have a darn good time in Europe! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.