• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

All seat reservations activate part-way through GWR journey

exbrel

so if the screens are off then come on into the journey, do you hold your ground (or seat) or get up and try and find another seat, but what if the train is full? So the common sence approach would be to leave the screens off surely... and apologise at each stop.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tspaul26

Established Member
so if the screens are off then come on into the journey, do you hold your ground (or seat) or get up and try and find another seat, but what if the train is full? So the common sence approach would be to leave the screens off surely... and apologise at each stop.
Byelaw 19 makes it an offence to remain in the seat if the reservation notice is displayed.

A refusal to move could also trigger a potential Byelaw 6 offence.

If the passenger is then asked to leave the train and refuses so to do, Byelaw 24 authorises the use of reasonable force to remove him.

I can’t imagine it likely that I would arrest someone for any of this though, unless things turn violent I suppose.

exbrel

thanks tspaul26, for that possible route, but again surely if at the start of the journey they are not working, to avoid any "confusion and disruption" later, they should stay off, and an announcement be made...

Bikeman78

Established Member
1) the train stock is the wrong. Reservations for a anticipated booked 10 car (2x 5 IETs together) will not load to a 9 car or 5 car. Vice versa the other way around
Nine vice 10 or 10 vice 9 is quite a common occurrence. Is there a way to over ride and upload the reservations? If I recall correctly, the nine cars are two first plus seven standard whilst five cars are 1.5 first plus 3.5 standard. By leaving the composite coach on the five cars and the seventh standard coach on the nine cars unreserved, it ought to be possible to match up most of the reservations. Though thinking about it, the coach letters could get messy.

Topological

My understanding was that the 9's have letters missing so that the standard class align. Pretty sure that the first class is then just the same as the first on the second of the two 5's but with an extra bit on the 9 because there are 2 carriages instead of 1.5 (recognising that in fact the end carriage is occupied by a kitchen etc, but that is the same on a 5 and a 9).

It did seem to me that thought had been put into the labeling, but i could be very wrong.

MCR247

Established Member
My understanding was that the 9's have letters missing so that the standard class align. Pretty sure that the first class is then just the same as the first on the second of the two 5's but with an extra bit on the 9 because there are 2 carriages instead of 1.5 (recognising that in fact the end carriage is occupied by a kitchen etc, but that is the same on a 5 and a 9).

It did seem to me that thought had been put into the labeling, but i could be very wrong.
I believe that to be the case for the LNER sets, I’m not sure if GWR use the same letters or not

Benjwri

Established Member
I believe that to be the case for the LNER sets, I’m not sure if GWR use the same letters or not
Not sure if they’re the same, but they are numbered in a way that allows them to map between the two with the exception of Coach K, which is a composite on a 10 car but only first on a 9 car, however K is an unreserved coach for standard on a 10 car, allowing reservations to be moved across.