• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Allocation to derby to Crewe line query

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a recent Sunday the 1429 SOT to Derby was formed of a 158+153, normally on a weekday it is formed of a single 153. Surely there will be more use on a weekday?

Kind of related I'm sure I've heard of or seen pictures of 180's or even a HST on this route - can anyone confirm?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
usually 1 or 2 x 153.

other types of vehcile have been used at times of peak demand such as local football derbies etc

crehld

Established Member
Completely normal for there to be a 158 or a 156 on this route (in addition to the usual 153s), special events or not. Happens several times a week, if not daily. No idea about HSTs or 180s I'm afraid.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Completely normal for there to be a 158 or a 156 on this route (in addition to the usual 153s), special events or not. Happens several times a week, if not daily. No idea about HSTs or 180s I'm afraid.

sorry meant HST/222 - i have never been on anything other than a 153 down that line although understand 156's appear

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
sorry meant HST/222 - i have never been on anything other than a 153 down that line although understand 156's appear

153s through the day but there is a 158, I believe, during the evening. A 222 has been known on an Uttoxeter Race Day.

Trainfan344

Established Member
158+153 is a normal combination on a sunday, 158/156's also appear, the second service on a saturday from stoke to derby seems to be a 156 when i catch it. Last time I did the line, the ex SWT unit was operating the line with declassified first class.

thenorthern

Established Member
The main allocation for Monday to Thursdays is a Class 153 with a number of exceptions which are the 06:07 and 19:07 departure from Crewe as well as the 17:42 and 20:42 departures from Derby which as booked to use Class 158s.

On Fridays however the departures from Derby are: 06:40 single Class 153, 07:40 Class 158, 09:40 2x Class 153. The Friday changes were brought in as too many passengers were being left behind in the evenings at Stoke-on-Trent as many University students were using the trains.

I am not sure about weekend allocations and if there is racing on at Uttoxeter more coaches are put on.

On a recent Sunday the 1429 SOT to Derby was formed of a 158+153, normally on a weekday it is formed of a single 153. Surely there will be more use on a weekday?

Kind of related I'm sure I've heard of or seen pictures of 180's or even a HST on this route - can anyone confirm?

Never seen a Class 180 along the line although thats not to say there hasn't been one.

HSTs and Class 222 Meridians use the line if the Midlands Grand National is on at Uttoxeter or the West Coast Mainline is closed and I have seen them occasionally. A couple of years ago East Midlands Trains used 2 Class 37s and a rake of Mark 2 coaches but there were more enthusiast on the train than passengers causing severe overcrowding.

louis97

Established Member
The main allocation for Monday to Thursdays is a Class 153 with a number of exceptions which are the 06:07 and 19:07 departure from Crewe as well as the 17:42 and 20:42 departures from Derby which as booked to use Class 158s.

On Fridays however the departures from Derby are: 06:40 single Class 153, 07:40 Class 158, 09:40 2x Class 153. The Friday changes were brought in as too many passengers were being left behind in the evenings at Stoke-on-Trent as many University students were using the trains.

I am not sure about weekend allocations and if there is racing on at Uttoxeter more coaches are put on.

Never seen a Class 180 along the line although thats not to say there hasn't been one.

HSTs and Class 222 Meridians use the line if the Midlands Grand National is on at Uttoxeter or the West Coast Mainline is closed and I have seen them occasionally. A couple of years ago East Midlands Trains used 2 Class 37s and a rake of Mark 2 coaches but there were more enthusiast on the train than passengers causing severe overcrowding.

A HST went to Stoke just the once a few years ago, since then however it has been Meridians only - with during the WCML closures 2 of the 3 diagrams as Meridians.

The regular diagram on a Saturday if there is extra capacity required is the 0640 from Derby which then forms the 2045 Crewe to Derby in the evening, so therefore both starting and ending at Derby. The last time it happened was 3rd October when there was football Crewe v Chesterfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.