• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Already booked YP AP tickets when railcard stolen, validity of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick W

Established Member
Long story short, I had my railcard (among other things) while walking home from the railway station tonight.

I have requested a new railcard online with the crime identification number, but it won't arrive before tomorrow (Friday), when I have an AP ticket booked.

Is there anything I can do to still travel on the AP ticket, or is it the case that it's my responsibility not be to be attacked by three guys while walking home from my local railway station?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

horizonflame

Officially, you must purchase a new walk-on fare, off set against the value of your advance ticket plus a £10 admin fee. This must be done at the ticket office before boarding your scheduled service.

Unofficially you may find a sympathetic clerk willing to excess away the railcard discount. There are some reports of success with this, especially East Coast.

Otherwise I would advise contacting the TOC asap and see if you can enlist their goodwill. Try twitter if you can, tweets often get a quick response. If not, definitely telephone their customer service team.

What journey are you making?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
One of the disadvantages of buying a railcard online is having to get the replacement posted to you. A railcard bought at a station can be replaced, within minutes, at any ticket office (regardless of which one it was bought at) provided you have a Railcard Receipt or Crime Report Number.

Officially, you must purchase a new walk-on fare, off set against the value of your advance ticket plus a £10 admin fee. This must be done at the ticket office before boarding your scheduled service....

In actuality, there is nothing in 'The Manual' (FRPP) to support this claim. Some members of the forum have said that some TOCs have given instruction to do it in this way, but even if this is true, not all TOCs have given that instruction, so the official line may actually be "buy a new ticket" at some ticket offices.

There was a thread, on this forum, on this subject not so very long ago where a clerk had sold a new ticket without taking into account the fare already paid (for an Advance ticket). Some felt the clerk had been unfair in not taking the Advance ticket into account, but IIRC no-one could say if the TOC in question allowed such an excess to happen.

Eagle

Established Member
If you do end up having to pay more, there's no harm in writing and requesting reimbursement once the replacement railcard has arrived. Make sure you include the crime report number for the theft, of course.

Mightn't get anything back, but it's easily worth a shot.

horizonflame

In actuality, there is nothing in 'The Manual' (FRPP) to support this claim.

Interesting, however Advance tickets are advertised as "Changeable" and the £10 admin fee is well established. Do you interpret this to only allow passengers to change to a different Advance ticket?

Nick W

Established Member
Thanks for the messages. I am getting megabus, Bristol to London tomorrow (at the university for a conference and the megabus goes nearer the university), but then getting the train back from Paddington tomorrow evening.

Would you recommend the ticket office at Paddington or seeing the guard and Paddington before departure? I would happily buy a new full price single from the guard if rejected but might not have time if told to go to a ticket machine.

It may not be an issue, as there's a chance my railcard will arrive tomorrow morning.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Interesting, however Advance tickets are advertised as "Changeable" and the £10 admin fee is well established. Do you interpret this to only allow passengers to change to a different Advance ticket?

The Advance terms and conditions already state what can be changed so I don't need to interpret anything, you can find this information on the National Rail website.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Would you recommend the ticket office at Paddington or seeing the guard and Paddington before departure? I would happily buy a new full price single from the guard if rejected but might not have time if told to go to a ticket machine.

I would give the ticket office a try - I find FGW generally helpful although Paddington is not one of the best.

If they won't excess away the Railcard discount, I would then try to find the guard as soon as the platform is announced and explain the situation (have a copy of relevant correspondence from the police and the railcard people). I think you'd have a reasonable chance of being allowed to travel, and if not then you'll more than likely have time to buy a new ticket - trains are every half hour in any case.

(I don't know what the price of your AP was, but assuming it was one of the cheaper tiers it won't be worthwhile to do an exchange less £10. The Super Off Peak Single is £20.15).

Nick W

Established Member
Thanks for the support.

In the end, my railcard came Friday morning. It was applied for in the early hours of Thursday morning so this is very good service from National Rail and Royal Mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.