• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Already-planned RRBs on strike days

Status
Not open for further replies.

If replacement buses are scheduled due to planned engineering works, and a strike is then announced for the day in question, is it a safe assumption that the buses will run as planned (assuming no unrelated problems like bus driver availability)?

My particular journey is from Heysham to Lancaster on October 8th. I've made arrangements not to travel beyond Lancaster until the next day, but I do need to get that far. Traveline tells me that it's possible to walk from the port into the town and get an ordinary bus, but the RRB would probably be more convenient.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
My particular journey is from Heysham to Lancaster on October 8th. I've made arrangements not to travel beyond Lancaster until the next day, but I do need to get that far. Traveline tells me that it's possible to walk from the port into the town and get an ordinary bus, but the RRB would probably be more convenient.
Good question!

I have the 1320 rail replacement bus as operating non-stop from Heysham Port to Lancaster on Saturday 8th October 2022. Journey time is 25 minutes with the pick up point at Heysham Port being the front of the ferry terminal building, adjacent to the station and the drop off point at Lancaster being by the entrance to the (Northbound) platform 3 at the station, on Station Road.

But the $64,000 question remains... Will the RRB actually run?

Bovverboy

Established Member
Good question!

I have the 1320 rail replacement bus as operating non-stop from Heysham Port to Lancaster on Saturday 8th October 2022. Journey time is 25 minutes with the pick up point at Heysham Port being the front of the ferry terminal building, adjacent to the station and the drop off point at Lancaster being by the entrance to the (Northbound) platform 3 at the station, on Station Road.

But the $64,000 question remains... Will the RRB actually run?
Recent form in respect of my local line (Chat Moss) says that if trains aren't running because of industrial action, RRBs don't run either.

boiledbeans2

Recent form in respect of my local line (Chat Moss) says that if trains aren't running because of industrial action, RRBs don't run either.

Similar situation for SWR land. In recent months, there has been engineering works on most weekends in the Woking and Guildford area. On strike Saturdays, no buses run.

Veteran Member
Worth mentioning that if you are coming off the ferry you have a considerable wait (50min last week!) after reclaiming your baggage. I was glad to have been picked up.

Worth mentioning that if you are coming off the ferry you have a considerable wait (50min last week!) after reclaiming your baggage. I was glad to have been picked up.
Yes, it did occur to me that it might be quicker to walk into Heysham for the ordinary bus anyway, especilly if I'm not sure whether the RRB will turn up.

Thankyou to all who have replied so far.

Veteran Member
Yes, it did occur to me that it might be quicker to walk into Heysham for the ordinary bus anyway, especilly if I'm not sure whether the RRB will turn up.
15min to the bus stop on Combermere Rd according to G*****maps.

galwhv69

Usually they get cancelled, however Southern managed to run trains and buses on a strike day not that long ago due to miscommunication

Status
Not open for further replies.