• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alternative Route Uckfield to East Croydon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
If I have an Uckfield to London Terminals season ticket can I change at Edenbridge Town, walk the short distance to Edenbridge and go via Redhill or Purley?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If I have an Uckfield to London Terminals season ticket can I change at Edenbridge Town, walk the short distance to Edenbridge and go via Redhill or Purley?
No; Uckfield is associated with Croydon Routeing Point Group, whenceforth there are obviously no mapped routes to London via Redhill. So it's not a mapped route.

It's obviously not the shortest route or remotely close to being within 3 miles thereof. And by its very nature you're changing trains so the direct trains rule doesn't apply.

There's also no positive easement that could help; there is interavailability on the East Grinstead line but no further.

Uckfield tickets are considerably cheaper than Redhill ones so this is perfectly reasonable IMHO.

Season tickets from Three Bridges are interavailable on the East Grinstead and Uckfield branches and so may be a better option for you.

JB_B

Established Member
Season tickets from Three Bridges are interavailable on the East Grinstead and Uckfield branches and so may be a better option for you.

Would the inter-availability from Three Bridges cover travel over the Redhill-Edenbridge section?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Would the inter-availability from Three Bridges cover travel over the Redhill-Edenbridge section?
Good point - I don't think so. I imagine the OP's interest is likely more in validity between Redhill and London (e.g. to reduce the cost of a journey to/from Brighton). But perhaps I'm reading things into it.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
Thanks - was just interested as daughter is doing work experience and is going to a site in Purley. Has already bought an East Croydon to Purley ticket but I just wondered as Edenbridge Town passengers where discussing going the other way last week.

If going to Brighton it’s the 29 bus!

Jan Mayen

Season tickets from Uckfield to London Terminals can have additional availability from Haywards Heath or East Grinstead, but only if you pay the extra for the additional availability. One option would be to get the season on A southern Key Card, then add Keygo. You therefore only pay for additional availability when needed.

bangor-toad

Hi,
The route via Edenbridge/Edenbridge Town is out as previously described.
EDIT:
I checked again and there's an odd situation where an Edenbridge to London Terminals via East Croydon season ticket *is* valid from both Edenbridge and Edenbridge Town. That flexibility doesn't appear to extend to any other station. Maybe that's what was heard being talked about?

However, an Uckfield - London Terminals ticket is valid for Uckfield - Upper Warlingham - Walk - Whyteleafe - East Croydon - London.
(Check out the National Rail website for an Uckfield to East Croydon via Whyteleafe itinerary to see it)

With this validity a season should also cover the East Croydon to Purley part, allowing an Uckfield - East Croydon - Purley routing.
Cheers,
Mr Toad

Last edited:

Chrisgr31

Established Member
Thanks Bangor Toad. It’s going to be interesting as daughter was returning via Reigate and had a Reigate East Croydon ticket. She just missed the 12.30 from Reigate, the 12.45 to Redhill and change should have got to ECR in time to catch the 13.22 to Uckfield. However the Thameslink connection from Redhill was cancelled so missed the 13.22. Therefore a 2 hour delay As no 14.22 to Uckfield. Not sure how that works as she was doing Uckfield - Reedham then Reigate to Uckfield with a weekly season Uckfield to London Terminals, singles for the ECR to Reedham and Reigate to ECR bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.