• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alternative train operator delay repay

Status
Not open for further replies.

johntea

Established Member
How does delay repay work if I choose to travel on an alternative train operator due to delays with the original operator?

11:45 Manchester Victoria to Leeds was cancelled today due to the weather and many TPE services having similar issues

So jumped on the 11:55 Northern service instead but obviously went round the houses so missed my connection resulting in an effective delay of around 30 minutes

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Who caused the delay? Claim from them.

So it was the operator of the cancelled 1145 (TPE?) who you need to pursue.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
How does delay repay work if I choose to travel on an alternative train operator due to delays with the original operator?

11:45 Manchester Victoria to Leeds was cancelled today due to the weather and many TPE services having similar issues

So jumped on the 11:55 Northern service instead but obviously went round the houses so missed my connection resulting in an effective delay of around 30 minutes
Claim from TPE, for the actual delay experienced (i.e. comparing the actual arrival time with the originally timetabled arrival time at the final destination).

But if you were at the station in good time for the 1145, I am puzzled as to why you didn't get the delayed 1115 (which departed at 1145), though it was a stroke of luck that you didn't, as that train got caught up in further disruption and would have delayed you even further!

Dave91131

What are the odds that TPE reject the OP's claim, saying he could have caught an earlier train (i.e. the delayed 1115)?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What's the odds that TPE reject the OP's claim, saying he could have caught an earlier train (i.e. the delayed 1115)?
Hmm 50/50 I'd say. I once had claim rejected as the system said I should have made a journey which wasn't actually valid on my tickets. Obviously appealed and then it was paid straight out. But unless the automated system has improved I doubt it'll do anything different.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Let's give them a chance first, eh?
Sure but the evidence that the automated systems used by the likes of TPE being terrible at just about anything other than the most simple claim (seems like it can a delay in which only one train was delayed and the journey was between two stations without changing train, anything more complex is a shot in the dark) is pretty good.

robbeech

Established Member
What are the odds that TPE reject the OP's claim, saying he could have caught an earlier train (i.e. the delayed 1115)?
I think we could place bets on a rejection for one of the following reasons :

* Could have caught the late running 1115

* Didn’t catch their train so you need to claim from Northern (obviously drivel but welcome to the Railway)

*Journey / train doesn’t exist.

Probably 75/25 against a successful initial outcome, but 95/5 for a positive outcome on appeal.
Let's give them a chance first, eh?
The railway gets tens of thousands of chances every day and blows a significant number of them. People are sick of it and they need to learn that.

XAM2175

Established Member
The railway gets tens of thousands of chances every day and blows a significant number of them. People are sick of it and they need to learn that.
I considered that it would be unhelpful to the OP to speculate on something that may end up being of zero relevance, but by all means don't let me stop you.

robbeech

Established Member
I considered that it would be unhelpful to the OP to speculate on something that may end up being of zero relevance, but by all means don't let me stop you.
As usual, I hope to be proved wrong because that means the passenger gets what they’re entitled to.
If it were not mentioned the passenger may be unaware of their rights (the railway does its best to keep them a secret) so i wouldn’t say it was particularly unhelpful.

johntea

Established Member
Put in a claim on TPE and selected the 11:45 service with 30-60 minute delay option selected so will see what happens

There was a lot of delays going on yesterday hence it was quite confusing to keep up with what was running, what was running but delayed and what was cancelled…I was trying to plan out a journey sat in the Arndale!

Claim accepted by TPE, and even upgraded to 60-119 minutes! Payment in my bank already :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.