• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Am I being had?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Is there really a railway bridge/access point somewhere near Westbury called "Chocolate Poodle"? Is this the trick to get the new bloke like asking for a bucket of steam or asking for tartan paint?

If not where is it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Chocolate Poodle
Bridge (ST995549). Line from Patney & Westbury Junction to Westbury opened 1900, Great Western Railway, with Lavington station, signal box and adjacent bridge. Station closed 1966. Signal box replaced by ground frame (released from Reading) 1977. Line, ground frame and bridge remain open. Bridge unofficially renamed Chocolate Poodle bridge circa 1970. Next to The Chocolate Poodle, High Street, Littleton Pannell, Devizes SN10 4EL. The pub is now closed. According to some reports it was a guest house rather than a pub, but it is included here for completeness.

http://sinfin.net/railways/stations/pubs.html

tirphil

It is the name of a bridge that took its name from a pub/guest house of the same name that has since closed.
The exact palce is Littleton Pannel near Devizes.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
No idea, but I could do with some new bubbles for my spirit level if you've got any?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
there we go!

although the one i always fall for is what comes between S & U? T? thanks milk and two sugars and a coffee for the boss! Always! Even use it myself now on people!

Established Member
Ashburys box, Manchester did have a 10 foot high pig next to it for several years.

(Okay, one signaller painted eyes, ears and a tail onto the calor gas cylinder outside)

Hydro

Established Member
There was an access on the Fawley branch known as Dog Sh*t Alley.

Oswyntail

Established Member
"Chocolate" is one of the official colours for dogs, so a Chocolate poodle is just a brown dog.

theblackwatch

Established Member
There was an access on the Fawley branch known as Dog Sh*t Alley.

Dog 5hit Alley as I knew it was at the back of Doncaster Works, many cranks will have walked up it at some point trying to get a look at what locos were there. Its name was even painted on one of the fences! I wonder if, with the demolition of the works, DSA still exists there?

Status
Not open for further replies.