• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Am I right to do a short trip to Scotland?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seahermit

I have browsed all the threads extensively, gathered a lot of very helpful tips about where to go etc . - and also glanced over the Covid 19 threads! So I am sorry if some of this has been covered before, but we are living through such strange times that I feel deeply guilty about popping up to Glasgow maybe for a few days just for a break. Not essential - except that I am going off my head with the lockdown and deserted streets down here in Hastings, many people I know have simply disappeared, given up going out.

So, I am thinking of a desperately-needed short break based in Glasgow (though it could be Edinburgh) and having long days out by train to explore - hoping to get as far as Fort William, Oban, Mallaig etc. with comfortable time to get back by evening. Longer, more adventurous trips will have to wait until a better year.

Will transport officials and people generally in Scotland look on this as OK or a bit irresponsible? I am getting on agewise but pretty fit, walk everywhere and I rarely get colds or flu, so I am assuming that I am a slightly lesser risk as far as virus transmission is concerned.

If this trip happens, I am hoping that some of the local events and train events will still be operating, but anyway the architecture and the fantastic Scottish landscapes will hopefully ease my lockdown frustrations!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I am not aware of any freedom of movement restrictions for Scotland so there is nothing to stop you making these trips.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I have browsed all the threads extensively, gathered a lot of very helpful tips about where to go etc . - and also glanced over the Covid 19 threads! So I am sorry if some of this has been covered before, but we are living through such strange times that I feel deeply guilty about popping up to Glasgow maybe for a few days just for a break. Not essential - except that I am going off my head with the lockdown and deserted streets down here in Hastings, many people I know have simply disappeared, given up going out.

So, I am thinking of a desperately-needed short break based in Glasgow (though it could be Edinburgh) and having long days out by train to explore - hoping to get as far as Fort William, Oban, Mallaig etc. with comfortable time to get back by evening. Longer, more adventurous trips will have to wait until a better year.

Will transport officials and people generally in Scotland look on this as OK or a bit irresponsible? I am getting on agewise but pretty fit, walk everywhere and I rarely get colds or flu, so I am assuming that I am a slightly lesser risk as far as virus transmission is concerned.

If this trip happens, I am hoping that some of the local events and train events will still be operating, but anyway the architecture and the fantastic Scottish landscapes will hopefully ease my lockdown frustrations!
I feel your pain, a lot of the information out there is quite confusing/conflicting. I think the only real risk is of guidance changing once a trip has been booked. I was tempted to try and do a 3 in 7 rover in a couple of weeks time but have decided against it just in case (I will do a couple of single day rovers instead that don't require much prior planning or payment).

OliverH68

Personally I don't see why you can't. I'm off up to Edinburgh this weekend to do the Tyne Valley diverts and am perfectly fine with the 10pm curfew for the pubs and am not mixing with another household!

I say go for it.

Iskra

Established Member
If it's something you need to do for your own well being, you are happy with the small risks involved and behave responsibly then I don't see why it would be an issue.

chorleyjeff

In Lancashire we are told that it is very strongly recommended that we do not move out of the county except for essential purposes - not law but recommended.
Also, given that Glasgow is highly infected, why would you risk bringing Scottish Covid to the South Coast of England. Surely there are lots of days out in the extreme SE corner of England that would alleviate cabin fever. My solution in Lancashire is to get out into the countryside and seaside then walk around to enjoy what is around.
PS just seen another grandparent roll up at a house across the road. Seems Covid advice is largely disregarded so perhaps you should do as you wish like many other folk and balance your enjoyment with the, albeit low, risk of transmitting the virus.

Veteran Member
In Lancashire we are told that it is very strongly recommended that we do not move out of the county except for essential purposes - not law but recommended.
Also, given that Glasgow is highly infected, why would you risk bringing Scottish Covid to the South Coast of England.
I am not sure that Covid has mutated so much in Scotland that it poses extra risk :) and travelling is perfectly in order.
I think I might choose to stay outside the extra-restricted area, or at least the more densely populated parts, even if it made planning the excursions more difficult. I suppose it depends on your own level of vulnerability somewhat?

(Incidentally, as I reported on another thread, even though I have till recently been shielding, I would not be concerned about using the trains themselves.)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I have actually found this thread very helpful, as like the OP I am in Scotland for a few days in the near future. I have for days been considering cancelling it and finding something else to do with my week off. In the end, the decision was made yesterday to go, pending any further restrictions announced of course. That decision got made when an exceptionally good friend (who has probably got fed up of reading texts about it!) told me in one sentence that I am just as likely (if not more) to spread the virus as a result of my colleagues at work or from a customer.

Which is perfectly valid, my colleagues do not take social distancing, face covering wearing or anything else seriously. Considering my place of work, that is extremely ill-advised! Out of my sector, I take it the most seriously and I even wear a face covering on the walking commute to/from work. Not because I think I'll get ill, but because I want to minimise the risk of any spread to my friends at work. It's not exactly a feeling reciprocated by my lot however...

So anyway, back to the topic. I'm off to London to pick up the Down Lowland on Friday, taking that to Edinburgh for some quick exploring and supplies stocking-up. I'll have the bike with me, the main point of this trip, and riding that to the Falkirk area via the Forth Road Bridge and around the north side of the Firth of Forth. Train into Glasgow from Camelon is the current plan.

Sunday is one of two different plans, which are a) train Glasgow to Arrochar & Tarbet for a cycle ride to Balloch alongside Loch Lomond. Never seen it before and I would really like to, with some more cycling is on the cards then back to base camp (easyHotel); b) quick leap on the train to Paiseley and onto the bike for the ride to Ayr and train back, while also hopefully finding some/all of my last 380s.

The day after, whichever ride I didn't do on Sunday would be the one I am aiming to do here. Next Tuesday I'm scheduled to be on my first 397 to Manchester, where I'm due to set up base camp in Ibis Budget. Probably get a bit of the desired cycling done that evening, and next Wednesday it's travelling home after doing the other cycling bits I want to get done in the area. That is the plan at least! With 2 full days at home to recover from my first cycling holiday.

Some of you will inevitably find my choice reckless, however I can assure everyone I'll be taking all precautions. Originally, this trip was to be nothing but an epic railway adventure, and it got converted to a cycling holiday quite quickly. Cycling is the biggest part of my life these days after all!

There will be some limited interaction with people, such as in a takeaway, coffee shop, supermarket and the odd train here and there. Again, all the precautions will be taken and I am more than aware I put myself at risk by travelling north. After the year I've had, and re-living the early part of 2020 with all the panic buying going on, I am in dire need of a proper escape for a few days. Reset the spirit, unplug the anxiety, relax the mind and ease the tension. That I'm not getting here, and I'm feeling more on edge every day with the way it's going.

So yes, I'm going and I totally understand the OP's need to get away too. When I return I *hope* to have got rid of the blues!

Iskra

Established Member
I have actually found this thread very helpful, as like the OP I am in Scotland for a few days in the near future. I have for days been considering cancelling it and finding something else to do with my week off. In the end, the decision was made yesterday to go, pending any further restrictions announced of course. That decision got made when an exceptionally good friend (who has probably got fed up of reading texts about it!) told me in one sentence that I am just as likely (if not more) to spread the virus as a result of my colleagues at work or from a customer.

Which is perfectly valid, my colleagues do not take social distancing, face covering wearing or anything else seriously. Considering my place of work, that is extremely ill-advised! Out of my sector, I take it the most seriously and I even wear a face covering on the walking commute to/from work. Not because I think I'll get ill, but because I want to minimise the risk of any spread to my friends at work. It's not exactly a feeling reciprocated by my lot however...

So anyway, back to the topic. I'm off to London to pick up the Down Lowland on Friday, taking that to Edinburgh for some quick exploring and supplies stocking-up. I'll have the bike with me, the main point of this trip, and riding that to the Falkirk area via the Forth Road Bridge and around the north side of the Firth of Forth. Train into Glasgow from Camelon is the current plan.

Sunday is one of two different plans, which are a) train Glasgow to Arrochar & Tarbet for a cycle ride to Balloch alongside Loch Lomond. Never seen it before and I would really like to, with some more cycling is on the cards then back to base camp (easyHotel); b) quick leap on the train to Paiseley and onto the bike for the ride to Ayr and train back, while also hopefully finding some/all of my last 380s.

The day after, whichever ride I didn't do on Sunday would be the one I am aiming to do here. Next Tuesday I'm scheduled to be on my first 397 to Manchester, where I'm due to set up base camp in Ibis Budget. Probably get a bit of the desired cycling done that evening, and next Wednesday it's travelling home after doing the other cycling bits I want to get done in the area. That is the plan at least! With 2 full days at home to recover from my first cycling holiday.

Some of you will inevitably find my choice reckless, however I can assure everyone I'll be taking all precautions. Originally, this trip was to be nothing but an epic railway adventure, and it got converted to a cycling holiday quite quickly. Cycling is the biggest part of my life these days after all!

There will be some limited interaction with people, such as in a takeaway, coffee shop, supermarket and the odd train here and there. Again, all the precautions will be taken and I am more than aware I put myself at risk by travelling north. After the year I've had, and re-living the early part of 2020 with all the panic buying going on, I am in dire need of a proper escape for a few days. Reset the spirit, unplug the anxiety, relax the mind and ease the tension. That I'm not getting here, and I'm feeling more on edge every day with the way it's going.

So yes, I'm going and I totally understand the OP's need to get away too. When I return I *hope* to have got rid of the blues!

Enjoy Tech!

bramling

Veteran Member

I would just do it. However, be aware of making non-refundable bookings that should anything happen in terms of restrictions being introduced this may cause issues. Keep things flexible and you should be fine.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Enjoy Tech!

Thanks! If you're not already following my IG (juliano_travels) then you will find I post photos there before anywhere else normally. There's not been anything interesting to share for the last week, but from Friday onwards for a good few days there will :D

Iskra

Established Member
Thanks! If you're not already following my IG (juliano_travels) then you will find I post photos there before anywhere else normally. There's not been anything interesting to share for the last week, but from Friday onwards for a good few days there will :D

You're welcome. Instagram is a step too far for me I'm afraid, I've only just got up to speed with twitter! Have a great trip!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You're welcome. Instagram is a step too far for me I'm afraid, I've only just got up to speed with twitter! Have a great trip!

No worries, I might be making a part-time return to Twitter later this week. Mostly packed for the adventure, couple of little bits to get in the meantime and a final pack is being done tomorrow. When I finish work at 9am on Friday, I can then come straight home, de-rancify, have lunch and chill before I jump on the 1318 to Paddington

No worries, I might be making a part-time return to Twitter later this week. Mostly packed for the adventure, couple of little bits to get in the meantime and a final pack is being done tomorrow. When I finish work at 9am on Friday, I can then come straight home, de-rancify, have lunch and chill before I jump on the 1318 to Paddington
The Scottish Government take on train travel is they are for essential workers use.
People should work from home where possible and limit their visits to Hospitality in the form of restaurants and pubs.

Meeting up is restricted to a max of 6 from 2 household groups. All socially distanced of course. Both inside and outdoor.

The recent rise in Covid numbers in Scotland mostly are attributed to start of the next Univesity year. With students not following the guidelines. Although having said that the numbers in Scotland are still cosiderably less than South of the border by proportion. For more details check gov.scot.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Seems no-one told Transpennine that, I've just had my reservations changed for next Tuesday to get me to Manchester from Glasgow.

My use of trains was always going to be limited anyway, so if I can't use them at all then I'll simply avoid ScotRail and replan some of my rides to ensure no Scottish train travel is required.

EDIT: To be clear, my desire to interact with others, indoors or out, is zero. Only the absolute minimum in a shop etc is permitted under my own rules, it's been a good year to be anti-social :lol:

But I'm sure I covered all this anyway in my main post on this thread. And if it's key workers only on ScotRail, it might be wise to update the website too...

route101

Established Member
Seems no-one told Transpennine that, I've just had my reservations changed for next Tuesday to get me to Manchester from Glasgow.

My use of trains was always going to be limited anyway, so if I can't use them at all then I'll simply avoid ScotRail and replan some of my rides to ensure no Scottish train travel is required.

EDIT: To be clear, my desire to interact with others, indoors or out, is zero. Only the absolute minimum in a shop etc is permitted under my own rules, it's been a good year to be anti-social :lol:

But I'm sure I covered all this anyway in my main post on this thread. And if it's key workers only on ScotRail, it might be wise to update the website too...

There is no non essential message for Scottish rail travel right now. I went to Perth yesterday.

route101

Established Member
The Scottish Government take on train travel is they are for essential workers use.
People should work from home where possible and limit their visits to Hospitality in the form of restaurants and pubs.

Meeting up is restricted to a max of 6 from 2 household groups. All socially distanced of course. Both inside and outdoor.

The recent rise in Covid numbers in Scotland mostly are attributed to start of the next Univesity year. With students not following the guidelines. Although having said that the numbers in Scotland are still cosiderably less than South of the border by proportion. For more details check gov.scot.

There is no non essential message for Scotrail right now.

There is no non essential message for Scotrail right now.
If you get Scot-Rail adverts on the TV it says. If you must use our trains....

That's about as close as you will get an update from Scot-Rail. They are not very digitally up to speed. Not too bad on Twitter but not everybody tends to look for advice on that.

Best advice is on the a Scottish Government website gov.scot

jfisher21

Had an enjoyable weekend in Crianlarich at August Bank Holiday, I would just go for it, maybe staying in the highlands rather than Glasgow but do it soon as restrictions may tighten further soon!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
There is no non essential message for Scottish rail travel right now. I went to Perth yesterday.

That's what I thought, and no such message exists on the Scottish Government website or on the ScotRail website. I had a look last night to be sure. Of course, if that has changed by the time I get to needing a ScotRail train (currently planned to be from Camelon to Glasgow on Saturday) then I will find a way around that.

Had an enjoyable weekend in Crianlarich at August Bank Holiday, I would just go for it, maybe staying in the highlands rather than Glasgow but do it soon as restrictions may tighten further soon!

Agreed on the restrictions, it is bound to change again. If it does while I'm up there, I'll get things sorted as I go. For the last 24 hours I've been coming up with alternative plans, and I'm still set on travelling north of the border. That decision does sway back and forth, so I'm going to make my ultra-final decision shortly by a rather old-fashioned method...

Flip a coin.

Whatever the decision actually turns out to be from the coin will reveal my actual feelings on the matter

That's what I thought, and no such message exists on the Scottish Government website or on the ScotRail website. I had a look last night to be sure. Of course, if that has changed by the time I get to needing a ScotRail train (currently planned to be from Camelon to Glasgow on Saturday) then I will find a way around that.

Agreed on the restrictions, it is bound to change again. If it does while I'm up there, I'll get things sorted as I go. For the last 24 hours I've been coming up with alternative plans, and I'm still set on travelling north of the border. That decision does sway back and forth, so I'm going to make my ultra-final decision shortly by a rather old-fashioned method...

Flip a coin.

Whatever the decision actually turns out to be from the coin will reveal my actual feelings on the matter
From the Scottish government website

Transport Secretary Michael Matheson stressed the importance of the new rules and that by wearing a face covering everyone is engaged in a collective responsibility to reduce the risk of transmission. He said:

“Our message remains clear that public transport should be for key workers and those who need it most and can’t walk or cycle to work. Capacity is reduced to enable physical distancing and operators are not yet running full services.

route101

Established Member
From the Scottish government website

Transport Secretary Michael Matheson stressed the importance of the new rules and that by wearing a face covering everyone is engaged in a collective responsibility to reduce the risk of transmission. He said:

“Our message remains clear that public transport should be for key workers and those who need it most and can’t walk or cycle to work. Capacity is reduced to enable physical distancing and operators are not yet running full services.

Is that not guidance? Or is it old message from few months back.

route101

Established Member
If you get Scot-Rail adverts on the TV it says. If you must use our trains....

That's about as close as you will get an update from Scot-Rail. They are not very digitally up to speed. Not too bad on Twitter but not everybody tends to look for advice on that.

Best advice is on the a Scottish Government website gov.scot

The non essential message was dropped back in August, you can use the train for any purpose,which i do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Either way, I'm already working on a plan to avoid ScotRail. Just means revising a few bits, while leaving the current plans on standby. I can always return next year to finish the bits I can't do this year, although it's also worth noting that might be a long way off since I have a list longer than my arm (not much of an exaggeration) of routes to do in England.

Of course, I could be getting fed a load of redundant matters from a bovine on this thread, so I will play it happily by ear.

SteveM70

Established Member
I’m off for four nights in Glasgow tomorrow. It’s effectively my summer holiday, and I need a break and in need to get away from home for a bit. Working from home is clearly better than not working, but i find it draining.

I’m taking my bike and I’ll do some shorter rides in and around the city, plus on Friday I’m getting the train up to Tulloch, cycling from there to Mallaig and getting the train back.

Tickets, seats and bike reservations all booked where necessary

seahermit

I greatly appreciate all the replies to my original post and I am amazed that so much interest was aroused! Sorry about my tardy response – it has been a difficult decision to make, done a lot of planning but, with the situation and the lockdown instructions changing almost daily, in the end my conscience leads me to put a Scottish trip on hold.

It does seem a bit irresponsible. chorleyjeff said “Also, given that Glasgow is highly infected, why would you risk bringing Scottish Covid to the South Coast of England. Surely there are lots of days out in the extreme SE corner of England that would alleviate cabin fever. My solution in Lancashire is to get out into the countryside and seaside then walk around to enjoy what is around.”

I know that I could probably get away with it without being challenged and the more adventurous types amongst you seem to think nothing of shooting off at short notice for a few days, but I haven’t been away for a year, this trip (from Hastings) would involve a lot of planning and it’s a big deal for me! Even if things were normal currently. But down here the streets are deserted after dark, everything closes early and even in daytime the shops treat you as if you have the plague when you walk in. It’s all rather intimidating, doesn’t seem the right time for joytrips and I don’t doubt that in Glasgow or Edinburgh the restrictions will be equally irksome.

I am lucky to be living in a particularly beautiful part of East Sussex, a lot of history around, great seascapes and a birdwatcher’s paradise. So I think I must be content for now – till the spring.

A lot of interesting input from people – I am surprised so many people are taking bikes with them, has somebody flattened some of the peaks in Scotland?! Years ago, I hiked/camped with a group right across the southern part of the Highlands from Perth to Oban – nearly killed us but it was one of the highpoints of my life and I have loved lonely, curlew-inhabited moors ever since. These days it has to be train-assisted travel, I have never seen the Glenfinnan Viaduct and of course the other must is the Kyle line.

One final question – when I do make the trip, I would love to chance the accommodation, i.e. after leaving Glasgow just see where I end up and hope to find a B&B for a few nights. Sorry, probably revealing a great deal of naivety and those days don’t exist anymore – but has anyone done that? How risky is it to not book everything ahead? Maybe early in the season next year, before the popular times?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Regarding booking your accommodation on the fly, I suspect under normal circumstances that would not be a challenge in most places off-season. In current climates, I'd not take that risk.

As for taking the bike to Scotland, I have carefully chosen my rides to involve fairly flat terrain. I can survive some hills, but I'm not taking on the big Scottish hills. As much as I'd like to, for the experience at the top, I'm not experienced or strong enough for that. Like with my ride from Arrochar & Tarbet, on Komoot the gradient profile looks to be very much in my favour, same with Paiseley to Ayr. I would not choose a route I wasn't confident in doing :lol:

Sorry to hear you've chosen to not go anywhere after all, I can understand why though. I spent LOTS of time mentally preparing backup plans, including last minute changing to Norfolk (nice and flat over there!) or Sussex (again, nice and flat) but the forecast is awful for both. Same for the Thames Valley and my local area!

Like SteveM70, this is my summer holiday as well as my spring holiday, all bumped into my pre-winter holiday. This key worker needs his escape, it's going to be a tough winter and festive season. Especially given my week off in January, when I usually have my post-festivities break to recover from the madness, is likely to be a week of not going very far. So technically this is 3 maybe even 4 holidays at once.

I certainly have not taken this decision to go lightly. I have over 300ml of anti-bac gel to take on the adventure, as well as 90 large anti-bacterial wipes. Whenever I'm off the bike, there's a face covering ready and I have spares. If I could find room in my bag, which is already full and heavy, I'd even take the tin of anti-bacterial spray I was given. This is of course all on top of very regular hand washing, avoiding touching of surfaces like door buttons etc, social distancing and all the rest of it. Even the bike will get wiped over every day!

If the forecast had been acceptable in my local area, I'd have cancelled all the travel and hotels and found some cycling to do in Herefordshire, Gloucestershire, Worcestershire and Shropshire. In a full week, including a few hotel stays, I'd be able to cover absolutely loads. However, the forecast is even worse here than it is in Scotland!

So I'm going, and I can't wait to get there. The only bit of being here for a week I'll miss is seeing a few of my colleagues. Everything else I'll be glad to get away from for a good few days!

Status
Not open for further replies.