• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Amending an online purchased ticket at a ticket office?

Status
Not open for further replies.

twpsaesneg

Hi,

I purchased an anytime return ticket last week through the corporate booking agent which I have to use for business travel. I picked the tickets up (ToD) but was then unable to travel through my own choice (ie not because I was prevented from doing so by the railway).

I asked at my local ticket office if this ticket could be amended for travel this week instead and was told that this was impossible and could only be done by the booking agent.

I'm going to just get a single advance for my outward journey this week instead and use my unused return portion of the original ticket to come back now, however is it correct that an unrestricted, undiscounted ticket cannot be amended or refunded by a ticket office if it is purchased online?

Many thanks,

Twpsaesneg

I can't give any more specific details for my destination and origin for personal reasons I'm afraid.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
Has the outward portion already expired? If so, you should apply for a refund on the whole ticket on the basis it was unused. You need to go back to whoever sold you the ticket to get a refund.

If it was permitted to change the date on a ticket that had already expired, it would invite even more fraud than the system currently facilitates.

Any other ticket you buy for your journey will be wholly independent of that ticket.

twpsaesneg

Has the outward portion already expired? If so, you should apply for a refund on the whole ticket on the basis it was unused. You need to go back to whoever sold you the ticket to get a refund.

If it was permitted to change the date on a ticket that had already expired, it would invite even more fraud than the system currently facilitates.

Any other ticket you buy for your journey will be wholly independent of that ticket.

Not when I asked no - it is now though and by the time I go through the hassle of posting it back and get admin fees taken off I may as well buy an Advance single outwards for my journey this week.

Not that it mattered - as soon as I mentioned "corporate booking agent" the ticket office clerk immediately referred me back to the original retailer.

I'm just wondering if this is right - is it impossible for a ticket issued by an online retailer to be amended by a ticket office?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There is no blanket ban on a ticket being "amended" encompassing all potential amendments, but if you are talking specifically about changing a ticket to bring the date forward, then yes a ticket office would not be able to do that if you did not buy it at that ticket office.

They could issue the replacement ticket and the original retailer could issue a refund, minus the £10 admin fee.

Other changes are possible, such as changing the time of travel for an Advance ticket (which incurs a £10 admin fee), or excessing a ticket (which doesn't incur an admin fee), where applicable.

Elecman

Established Member
Would this be at a Virgin station by any chance, as they Have unilaterally determined not to amend dates on any tickets purchased elsewhere since they introduced their new ticketing system?

twpsaesneg

There is no blanket ban on a ticket being "amended" encompassing all potential amendments, but if you are talking specifically about changing a ticket to bring the date forward, then yes a ticket office would not be able to do that if you did not buy it at that ticket office.

They could issue the replacement ticket and the original retailer could issue a refund, minus the £10 admin fee.

Other changes are possible, such as changing the time of travel for an Advance ticket (which incurs a £10 admin fee), or excessing a ticket (which doesn't incur an admin fee), where applicable.
Thanks - that's the info I was after!

twpsaesneg

Would this be at a Virgin station by any chance, as they Have unilaterally determined not to amend dates on any tickets purchased elsewhere since they introduced their new ticketing system?
No, not a Virgin station.

Status
Not open for further replies.