• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

American atmospheric railway prototype

Status
Not open for further replies.

w0033944

I'm not sure whether this is the correct sub-forum for something like this, but I've just seen a Youtube video that I thought might be of interest, concerning an elderly American semi-retired engineer who has what appears to be a miniature protype for a modern version of Brunel's atmospheric railway concept in a vineyard he owns. It appears very different to the Hyperloop concept due to the fact that the vacuum tube is below and between the rails, and is sealed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KniP3T_PPB4

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jonny

Established Member
I'm not sure whether this is the correct sub-forum for something like this, but I've just seen a Youtube video that I thought might be of interest, concerning an elderly American semi-retired engineer who has what appears to be a miniature protype for a modern version of Brunel's atmospheric railway concept in a vineyard he owns. It appears very different to the Hyperloop concept due to the fact that the vacuum tube is below and between the rails, and is sealed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KniP3T_PPB4

Nice idea; he has managed to solve the main problem with Brunel's design by maintaining a seal.

NSEFAN

Established Member
Nice idea; he has managed to solve the main problem with Brunel's design by maintaining a seal.
Isn't that why this new idea uses magnets? The atmospheric tube can remain sealed from end to end. Pointwork might be a bit complicated, but then for simple long-distance rail it might be more suitable.

I wonder how the efficiency compares to 25kV OLE. There is also the problem of a rather large magnetic field needed to hold onto the train, which might pose both problems in getting the magnetic field and also safety concerns for the passengers!

w0033944

Isn't that why this new idea uses magnets? The atmospheric tube can remain sealed from end to end. Pointwork might be a bit complicated, but then for simple long-distance rail it might be more suitable.

I wonder how the efficiency compares to 25kV OLE. There is also the problem of a rather large magnetic field needed to hold onto the train, which might pose both problems in getting the magnetic field and also safety concerns for the passengers!

I did wonder about that! Do we have any experts on electromagnets on the forum?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I'd be interested in how the magnets would scale. Also, point switches- conventional rail can handle diverging and converging routes at high speed, which is useful when you've got a network

Status
Not open for further replies.