• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Andy's Wanderings

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyb2706

Following on from some of the other members of the forum I thought I to would start a separate thread for all of my trip reports. I will be typing up these reports while en-route on my tablet so hopefully it won't take too long to get them on the forum although I am not promising anything.

Thursday 19th February
My plan for today is to head off to Leeds and then see where I get to from there. So I was just about to leave home to the tram station when I got a phone call from work "err.....you haven't got the van keys have you?" after a few moments of silence followed by a few expletives I was jumping in the car to go to the office to drop off the keys. Fortunately my office isn't too far from Salford Crescent railway station so leaving my car in the works car park I take the short walk to station and didn't have long to wait for the late running 0925 to Manchester Airport which was 142030 and with its overcrowding it might have explained it's late running because the dwell time in the platforms was a couple of minutes due to people trying to embark and disembark the train. Although I still need a few 142 units for haulage, unfortunately this was not one of them, I can't wait to see the back of them. The train was packed, windows were steaming up and the usual quality ride was supplied. I was stood there thinking that these poor souls pay such a high price for peak travel every day and they get treated like this. Just so glad that I am not one of them. After the short journey to Manchester Piccadilly I arrive into platform 13 with 185141 and 185123 stood at platform 14 forming the Windermere service although not making a note of the unit number to begin with but making my way to the departure boards to find out what the next service to Leeds was and found out it was the 0957 to Middlesborough from platform 2 so headed over there passing through the ticket barrier when I decided to make a note of the two 185 units I saw on platform 14, but I could not remember whether one of the unit was 185141 or 185114! So there I was resided to the thought that I could not guess at it when the 0957 rolled into the station and it was 185114 , well that answered the question how lucky could I have been and even more luckier when I checked 185114 I also needed it for haulage so that leaves with me needing 14 more 185's

On arriving at Huddersfield I was debating jumping off and looking for the Wakefield service as it is usually operated by a pacer, but decided to remain on the train to Leeds. As we pulled out of Huddersfield I noticed that 142078 was operating the next Wakefield service and that it was a required unit so it has escaped from me this time!

Nothing to note on the remainder of my journey to Leeds so once I jumped off my job was to find my next unit for haulage which didn't take me too long because standing on platform 13 was 158853 forming 1056 Leeds to Huddersfield. We were delayed for a few minutes to let a late running TPE service to Manchester Airport to go before us, the TPE was only a few minutes late so if they had run my service first and seeing it was all stops to Huddersfield the TPE service would have been absolutely hammered, so correct regulation. I find the Northern 158's are the best of Northern's fleet but when you compare them to East Midland Trains and Arriva Trains Wales 158's Northerns are a bit drab and dark. So much of the original decor remains.

I've never really noticed it in the past, probably because I've been whizzing through the towns and villages of West Yorkshire on a fast TPE service but as you pass through the towns and villages along this line if you ignore some of the corrugated workshops you are left with the stone factories, shops and houses the surroundings are quite picturesque. Having just pulled out of Dewsbury it has reminded me of the pub on the station and the need to visit it again on a Saturday to partake in an ale day breakfast and yes it is a full English breakfast with a pint of real ale......hmmmmm.

On the approach to Huddersfield I turned my thought onto what would be my next move and after consulting Realtime Trains I decided to do a trip to Barnsley along the Penistone line, again knowing that it should be a pacer unit. With a 40 minute wait and it approaching lunch time I nipped out of the station to pick up a Subway to have on the train. After purchasing my Chicken Salad Sub for £3.20, which is a bit pricey but I do prefer a Subway compared to pre-packed sandwiches from a supermarket I returned to the station to find my train had arrived and was formed of 144023 , which was a good one, to operate the 1213 to Sheffield. There was still 20 minutes until departure which gave me time to remain on the platform to take photos of the trains that arrived and departed. Our departure was on time and seeing that there is nothing to add apart from the lack of leg room, I'm only 5 foot 7 inches and my knees are hard pressed again the seat in front it is time for lunch. After lunch I settled down for the journey to Barnsley. On a cold wet day there isn't much to see from a pacer unit especially with steamed up windows that I ended up waking with a jolt when a snort of a snore woke me about 10 minutes from Barnsley.

I alighted at Barnsley and decided to jump on the next service that was the express 1314 to Sheffield calling at Meadowhall first where I plan to alight and do a bit of bashing on the tram network into the city. My train pulled in and it was 158905 but this turned out to be a dud for me, actually out of the ten 158/9 this was the only one I had been on in the past.....grrrr, anyhow better luck with the supertram shortly seeing I have only had haulages on two of them in the past.

Sheffield Supertram was super!!!! Bought the £4 dayrider and did 8 trips working out at 50p a journey in 80 minutes :) with the units being 122, 115, 106, 114, 104, 102, 121 and 123 all were good before ending back at Sheffield train station by which time I was desperate for the loo just to find both the one on the concourse and platform 5 being out of use, although 5 reopened few minutes late thank goodness. Anyhow after a quick check of what was in I found I needed 142019 for haulage so had a run out to Rotherham Central.

Rotherham Central is a new station for me but my return trip to Sheffield provided a dud unit with 150116. By now I was ready to head home with the first available service being the 1640 EMT to Liverpool Lime Street formed of two 158 units, the first being 158858, which was a dud but the second was 158812 which is one that I needed so guess which one I got on.

On approach to Manchester Piccadilly I encountered major delays due to a cable fault between Deansgate and Salford Crescent…great, I want to get to Salford Crescent. Anyhow after waiting about 30 minutes I end up getting on 150119 which is working the 1822 to Southport, another Northern unit knocked off my list.

So all in all a very good day with 14 new hauls and the following new shacks:

Meadowhall (NR & Supertram), Nunnery Road, Arena/Don Valley, City Hall, Fitzalan Square, Arbourthorne Road, Spring Lane, Granville Road, Rotherham Central.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Not a bad day at all, and welcome to the trip report writing clan!

Just one thing to point out, you've got it down as 150116 from Rotherham Central to Sheffield and you had the same 150 from Manchester to Salford Crescent. Typo I would imagine but worth checking that.

An enjoyable read before I head to work, and I am of course jealous as I'm still waiting for my next trip out on Monday! Plus I haven't done Leeds in a long time so I need to get back there and have a proper good red pen and shack scratching session!

andyb2706

Not a bad day at all, and welcome to the trip report writing clan!

Just one thing to point out, you've got it down as 150116 from Rotherham Central to Sheffield and you had the same 150 from Manchester to Salford Crescent. Typo I would imagine but worth checking that.

An enjoyable read before I head to work, and I am of course jealous as I'm still waiting for my next trip out on Monday! Plus I haven't done Leeds in a long time so I need to get back there and have a proper good red pen and shack scratching session!

Well...err,err no it was a deliberate error to see if anyone read it...err, err and you won....err,err a pint if we should ever meet..err, err ;)

Honestly, it was a typo. The Manchester Piccadilly to Salford Crescent was 150119. I've altered the original post.

Got another trip report to do for today, similar area though but tried to concentrate on my Northern fleet today..more to follow all leading up to my big trip at the beginning of March where I will visit London and Glasgow with the sleeper smacked in between.:)

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Oh nice with the London and Glasgow bash! At least you'll be doing that trip properly on the sleeper, unlike me with doing it last year on Megabus :lol:

One day we'll end up meeting I suspect, I'm due to spend a couple of days in Manchester at some point this year :)

crehld

Established Member
Looks like some good coverage of the West and South Yorks tracks there. And glad the Sheffield Supertram lived up to its name - I've yet to try it out.

And yes a pacer on the morning commute is a bit of a raw deal. Reminds me of the 1639 Leeds to Morecame!

andyb2706

Friday 20th February
Another day spotting in the North trying to knock off a few more of my Northern fleet and hopefully some of the Trans Pennine 185’s too.

Day started at Brooklands tram stop where I boarded 3023 to Piccadilly Gardens, which I did not need although it was only one number away from one that I did. The plan was to walk over from Piccadilly Gardens to Victoria to get either the 0748 Leeds or the 0752 to Newcastle due to the Metrolink being shut between Piccadilly Gardens and Victoria station. Have to say Victoria is coming on a treat, the roof is looking amazing and so is the new Metrolink station. I managed to make it for the 0752 Newcastle by a few minutes and was formed of 185106 and 185107 neither of which were any good to me, but yet again I do need 185104 and 185105.....there seems to be a method developing today for me not to achieve my goals. Having checked the timetable I noticed that 10 minutes after we arrive at Huddersfield there is a 0831 to Wakefield Westgate.

As we arrived into platform 8 I saw the aforementioned train standing in platform 6 and it was 142018 which was a good one for me, good old Northern not letting me down......never thought I would be saying that! So jumped aboard for a short journey to Mirfield were I had a choice of two trains either the 0849 to Manchester Victoria or the 0905 to Huddersfield to get me back to Huddersfield, the first was a dud so I decided to hang on for the second on the off chance it was needed. Between these two services TPE decided to have a little fun at my expense, while stood there in the matter of ten minutes 185115 and 185121 went whizzing through the station, these were two units I require.....aagh!! But yet again Northern didn't let me down when 144010 came rolling into the platform for my ride back to Huddersfield.

When I arrived back at Huddersfield I had a choice of two to get me to Leeds either the 0921 Newcastle or the 0927 to Middlesbrough, both TPE and surely one of these I would need......no, both duds but decided to jump on the 0927 otherwise I could have been stood at Huddersfield all day waiting for a good one. Following a 20 minute journey to Leeds we pulled in alongside 144019 which was forming the 0952 to Selby and yet again Northern have not let me down so jumped on to Garforth which resulted in my first new shack for the day. Fancy a trip to Selby as it is a station I haven't been to yet so I'm going to head back to Leeds and find a suitable service to carry out that plan. So I crossed over to the opposite platform to wait for the 1016 to Huddersfield, which was the first let down of the day from Northern with 153328 and 150228 but I needed to get back to Leeds to pick up my train to Selby.

Okay, I knew I said I was to head off to Selby, however when I arrived back at Leeds on the adjoining platform was 158908 forming the 1040 to Sheffield which is one I required, I do get so easily distracted so instead of heading off to Selby I found myself on board the 1040 to Sheffield planning to head off to Sheffield but not too far outside Leeds I passed the Freightliner depot at Leeds Freightliner terminal and there was at least 10 66’s and a class 70 parked up but I was too slow to make a note of the most of them so I decided to jump off at Wakefield Kirkgate (all the scaffolding has been taken down around the building on the platform and the glass railway canopy was being put up, looking quite nice now) run across to the other platform and get on the 1058 to Leeds which was formed by 150116 which was a dud, it was even a dud the day before too, but that was not the reason for this trip and as we approached the Freightliner depot I was poised and ready to note down the engine numbers. In total I got 1 Class 70 and 11 Class 66’s all in all a good haul however I still need to check how many of them were good for me. Fingers crossed.

Soon returning to Leeds I hunted out my next prey which transpired to be 142066 1148 to Sheffield, so with 20 minutes before departure I decided it was time to pick up a sandwich and was heading to Subway until I saw the queue at there so a quick divert to Sainburys and then it was back to the train to start the journey and have some lunch, again I was off to Wakefield, however this time it was Wakefield Westgate where I crossed to the other platform and waited for the next service back to Leeds. Have to say the layout of Wakefield Westgate always confuses me and I don’t know why. So the 1206 to Leeds rolled in formed of 144013 which was a dud but I needed to get back to Leeds to stand more chance of getting a train I need, and boy did I have a choice of either East Coast 43318 and 43274 forming the 1245 to London Kings Cross or 144003 and 142079 forming the 1248 to Sheffield, bet you don’t need too long to guess which I go for……144003 1248 to Sheffield, like I said it is a Northern day as much as possible although it was an agonizing decision. By this time I was getting sick of the sight of Wakefield and Leeds, there is only so many times you can travel between the two so on this journey I did the entire trip on 144003 to Sheffield and decided to still try and do Northern services but avoiding Leeds and Wakefield as much as possible, this was a good call.

On arriving at Sheffield I worked out my next run and seeing that the other unit on the train I travelled on from Leeds, 142079 was unit I needed and there was not long to wait for its return journey I boarded the unit which along with 144003 formed the 1414 to Leeds. Alongside this train in the adjoining bay platform was 153317 with 142096 arriving on top of it and after consulting Realtime trains it should be forming the 1424 to Scunthorpe now although 142096 was a dud 153317 was a required unit so the plan was to travel on 1414 to Leeds (142079) as far as Rotherham Central and wait there for 10 minutes until the arrival of the Scunthorpe service hoping that the 142 and 153 would couple up at Sheffield.

At Rotherham I got off the Leeds service and waited tentatively for the Scunthorpe service hoping that there was 142 and 153. As the train came into sight you could see the 142 and then the 153 behind…phew!! I boarded 153317 and settled in for the journey to Doncaster. During the journey I let my mind wander back to my childhood, don’t know why but I just did, and started thinking about role playing books, if you don’t know what these are they were books were you didn’t read from beginning to end you would read a section of the book and it would then say if you want to do this go to***, or if you want to do this go to ***. The more complicated books involve die and character creations. Anyhow for some reason I had an urge to get one of these books and I wanted it now so decided to nip into Doncaster town centre and find a Games Workshop asthis would be the best possible location to get one, but before that while I was still travelling I passed the GBRF depot at Doncaster and logged 5 locos stabled there.

On arrival at Doncaster I left the station and decided to look on google maps for the store address of Game Workshop and it transpired it should be not too far from Bentley station so as well as filling my urge Bentley would be a new shack too…winner!!! More of a winner was that the 1534 to Adwick calling at Bentley was 142003 which was another good unit so jumped on board very happily and did the small journey to Bentley.

Got off the train at Bentley and left the station but there was something not quite adding up so smartphone out and googled the shop itself….it was in Doncaster town centre itself….damn Google Maps sending me to the wrong location, although a new shack and a new 142 I couldn’t grumble much but had 15 minutes to wait for my train back to Doncaster, which was a dud 322482. Regards this unit it looks like it has been freshly made 2020 compliant with a total refurbished also the paint/vinyl’s looked freshly applied and looked quite smart.

On my return to Doncaster I left the station for an unsuccessful trip to Games Workshop so returned to the station. By this time of day I was beginning to think about going home but decided to go via York hoping to pick up a Northern 158 from York so with the arrival a good HST set formed of 43367 and 43308 for an express journey to York.

On arriving at York I had about 55 minutes to wait for 1827 to Blackpool so grabbed some tea while I waited and 158816 a good unit arrived to form the 1827 to Blackpool with the original plan to stay on it to Bradford Interchange (which would be a new shack) and there pick up the Northern service to Manchester Victoria 10 minutes later, however on pulling into Leeds I made a mad dash for the exit as the platform was rammed and the train was going to be hammered. I found the platform for the Manchester Victoria service that I was going to pick up from Bradford Interchange and got on it at Leeds instead. This was formed of 158753 the 1919 to Manchester Victoria which as a 3 coach train and only about half full compared to the 2 coach train that I had just got off which was standing room only as it left Leeds. Journey back to Manchester was uneventful and the short walk from Victoria to Piccadilly Gardens resulted in a dud tram home.

All in all a good two days with a further 14 Northern units knocked off my required list along with a few others. Only a couple of weeks to wait for my next trip.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Very productive trip in the end, even though it didn't achieve the plan of getting winner 185s in! I seem to recall your needs list on Northern was massive when it was posted on Red Pen 2014 so a day of clearing out some more of the Northern fleet will have been a bonus!

I know the sort of adventure books you mean, read one many many years ago but cannot remember what it was called. They're certainly an interesting concept as you sort-of make your own story. Wouldn't have a clue where to find such a book mind!

Know how you feel with the Leeds to Wakefield journey, it's boring enough doing it once let alone several times in one day! That said it's brilliant for scoring Voyagers and ECML 91s/HSTs, certainly I've had a few of both that way, way back when they were still going I even had a NoL 373 on a Leeds to Wakefield leap! Sometime in 2005, can't remember when.

Did you score any required Freightliner locos in the end?

andyb2706

Hi Techniquest,

Was an enjoyable couple of days and probably worth doing again, maybe heading up towards Newcastle might prove lucrative for some 142's and if I remember rightly some of the 156's as well. I still need 123 Northern units and that is before the 319's come on stream and with still needing that many just maybe the possibility of future D78 stock will be with Northern before I can say I've cleared the fleet!!

As to the Freightliner locos I scored 3 Class 66's and 1 Class 70. Did much better though with the GBRF Class 66 as I needed all of them. Some of them were from the last batch shipped over.

Last edited:

Kristofferson

Productive trips indeed!

Ah, the Choose Your Own Adventure books were a highlight of my childhood. Maybe a "choose your own adventure" trip report is due ;)

Established Member
An enjoyable read, there.
A few familiar numbers among that lot, in fact I had 142096 home from work yesterday.
It's good to read adventures that people have on my home turf.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
andyb2706:2087398 said:
Productive trips indeed!

Ah, the Choose Your Own Adventure books were a highlight of my childhood. Maybe a "choose your own adventure" trip report is due ;)

Quite like that idea...keep an eye out for upcoming trip reports :)

I like it too, although I'll leave someone far more familiar with that style of writing do it!

Meant to mention previously, 142003 is one of the many trains listed in your trip report that I need, and it was my last 142 to see in 2011. At least it does do work, last time I saw it it spent its day buffer blocking at Lime Street!

Interesting to see Newton Heath 142s do indeed go quite far east!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
andyb2706:2089788 said:
Not just Northern I'm afraid :(

You'll get there though! I used to have huge requirement lists all over the country (still do in certain parts of the country, SET/SWT/GA/SN being the worst offenders), but I was committed to changing that! Of course, I've spent a rather large sum of money over the last couple of years to do it!

It does take a lot of time, effort, dedication and commitment to the hobby to get the lists down, and I've been doing this for a long time too. Been on the scene for 12 years this September! :shock:

andyb2706

I used to go spotting in the 80's with my grandad up at Diggle and that is what got me to work on the railway my interest in trains. However, by the turn of the early 2000's and a decade on the railway it kind of knocked my interest a bit and lost all my logs! So started up again in the late 2000's and was all computerised by then....unfortunately I didn't back anything up and my computer crashed and I lost everthing again!!! This time is different I am not going to get bitten again, good old Google Drive ☺

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ah that has to be outrageously annoying and frustrating! I only know slightly how you feel, I've lost quite a few notes over the years from bad organising (one unplanned trip I had everything written on a receipt, that's obviously gone...) and way too many photos have been lost from lack of backing up and I still can't motivate myself to sort them out!

Your tale is a good lesson to us all not to chuck our books out and back stuff up!

andyb2706

28th February

Today I am doing three of the things I like doing.

1. During the morning a tram/train ticket for the TfGM area
2. I am a member of a walking group and doing an afternoon 7.5 mile walk
3. Curry house after the walk...need say no more about this :)

I decided today to have a great day with haulage bagging, new shacks during the morning followed by a good walk with a walking group I am a member of with a curry at the end of the walk.....although everything didn't turn out too well!!!

I started this morning by deciding to walk to the next tram stop along the Airport line that I needed for a new shack so proceeded to Moor Road, in doing so I missed 3082 going to Cornbrook by a couple of minutes and had to wait another 10 minutes which annoyed me a bit until 3089 rolled in and score!!! Another tram knocked of my list, so checking my shack attack list I noted I needed Chorlton tram stop so decided to change trams there for a tram to Victoria and got a dud 3091 with 3064 attached to it from Chorlton to Victoria for my first trip into the new tram station there.

After spending ten minutes at Victoria trying to find a a Northern need, which with still needing over 120 units shouldn't have been hard I had to wait for 158906 to arrive to form the 0926 Victoria to Leeds service to take me to Rochdale.

On arriving at Rochdale I didn't want to get the next train back so went down to the tram stop to jump on the tram to Rochdale Town Centre stop to bag another shack and you would never guess what turned up but 3091 and 3064, the same service that I got off at Manchester Victoria! So I decided to jump on 3064, which was also a dud to get to Rochdale Town Centre Stop.

I returned to Rochdale railway station to pick up 150137 to Manchester Victoria where I returned to the tram stop to get the next tram to Piccadilly but the first tram to turn up was one for East Didsbury and I began to believe that 3091 and 3064 was now haunting me and following me around the TfGM area, but this was not going to Piccadilly so I let this one go....then it happened a Bury tram came round the corner and this turned out to be a tram I have been missing for years...the recently returned 3013 so of course Piccadilly had to wait as I leaped onto this unit to claim for sight, haulage and photographing and also a new shack when I alighted this tram at Queens Road

That was when I realised that I had no idea when the next tram back was as PIDS haven't arrived here yet. But I didn't have to wait long for 3006 to Etihad Campus to arrive for my Journey to Piccadilly arrived.

On arriving at Piccadilly I searched for a required unit and found 150113 working the Buxton service and had a ride to Stockport with the return service also being a good one with 150140 to PIccadilly.

Once back at Piccadilly time was running short until meeting up with the walking group but I had enough time to do a quick trip back to Stockport and as by luck 390138a new one for me was due to depart in five minutes with a quick crossing of platforms I picked up a dud 185109 to Piccadilly, when am I going to score my next 185!?

After meeting up with my friends we boarded 142042, a dud for the short journey to our walk start at Reddish North to walk to East Didsbury.

Now let me explain, I am a avid walker. I walk all over the country and am trying to clock up 1000 miles this year. I walk on hills, mountains, ridges with drops either side. I walk in the rain, snow and ice. So why is it that on a 7.5 mile flat walk that today's walk was do I go over on my ankle and end up with a torn ligament in my foot/ankle!!

This now means I can't go out doing proper walking for the ligament to repair for 4-6 weeks, although I have been told to not stop walking but not to be on my feet all day. So this could mean that my trip planned for tomorrow which includes the Caledonian Sleeper could be in doubt, I just can not make my kind up as a lot of the day I would hope to be sat on a train. This is going to be a tough decision :shock:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Perhaps a trip on the sleeper may be OK, plenty of sitting/lying down but still opportunities to get some walking in. Fingers crossed you don't have to blow your trip!

Done well this morning at least, your numbers are coming down slowly!

andyb2706

With the way my foot is I have postponed my trip including the sleeper for tomorrow. As I do not think I could cope with two long days red penning with the way my foot is. :(:(:(

The reason for this message is to say I have just got of the phone with Scotrail and I have to say they were brilliant!!! There was a £10 surcharge, which I was aware of for cancellation/change to tickets and after I told them what happened they suggested cancelling instead of changing dates (changing dates is what I originally wanted) but in cancelling I could then wait until I knew my foot was well enough before re-booking.

Scotrail customer service was brilliant and I just wanted people to know that, rail staff get enough bashing by the public and I think they do deserve credit when credit is due......although I am going to be REALLY bored these next two days knowing what I could have been doing.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You've got tons of time then to post the rest of your overdue observations to the "Trains you've seen working" thread now then! ;):lol:

Maybe if you're feeling up to it, have a local red pen fest instead.

Good to hear ScotRail were very helpful for you, losing £10 is better than the potential issues the discomfort will have caused! Fingers crossed you get better asap and get to have that beast of a trip soon! :)

Kristofferson

Shame about the foot, but glad you got a decent half day on the rails before that! Did you get a curry in the end? :)

andyb2706

You've got tons of time then to post the rest of your overdue observations to the "Trains you've seen working" thread now then! ;):lol:

Maybe if you're feeling up to it, have a local red pen fest instead.

Good to hear ScotRail were very helpful for you, losing £10 is better than the potential issues the discomfort will have caused! Fingers crossed you get better asap and get to have that beast of a trip soon! :)

I'll try lol. Well I'm definitely glad to lose only £10 and not the whole £134 as I had booked 1st class. I'm off for at least another 9 days as I still have to see my own doctor so I think I might plan something later on if my foot is okay. Was really looking forward to it and had been a bit disappointed today.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Shame about the foot, but glad you got a decent half day on the rails before that! Did you get a curry in the end? :)

Oh yeah!! I got a bus to the end of the walk and met up with them for the curry. It is a curry house I've been to before and the food is good.:)

andyb2706

Ankle Test Day 1

Having being laid up for nearly three weeks with a dodgy ankle and being signed off work sick due to my work involving walking on the track…uneven surface , dodgy ankle not a good combination. The ankle is feeling quite a bit better but I need to put it to a test to see what I can stand, pardon the pun.
What better way than doing a bit of travelling on the trains with a bit of walking and standing around.

So this morning after peak travel had ended I headed for the Metrolink station. Now with where I live I have four tram stops conveniently accessible, however I did not want to do a ten minute walk to the stop as I wanted to pace myself so Wythenshawe Park was out of the question. Brooklands by this time wouldn’t have any car parking spaces left and Sale you have to pay to park so it was off to Sale Water Park with its free park and ride.

At this stage I was unsure what ticket to get. The possibilities was a tram/train ticket for £7.90 or buy a single and get a Wayfarer at a train station which would give me greater flexibility. So I decided on the latter and paid £2.20 single and boarded 3075 (a dud) to Manchester Airport where I was going to get a Wayfarer and then pick up my first Northern Electric 319 to take me to Manchester.
First problem, arriving at Manchester Airport with three minutes to spare for the 319 to Manchester and a cue of four or five people……..to the rescue comes my works free pass, box filled I make my way to the train. Going to digress for a moment here and I have to say with all the work that has gone on at Manchester Airport station it is now looking impressive with the four national rail platforms and two Metrolink platforms. I can remember the station opening when it had only two platforms. I wonder what improvements will occur in the next twenty years.

I board 319363 which is forming the 1040 Manchester Airport to Liverpool Lime Street and I accidently position myself in the pantograph coach and bang on time we leave the airport, have to say it is quite noisy in that coach but am impressed with the speed and environment of the 319, although I have been on 319’s in London these seem different, don’t know why but a big improvement even on the 156’s that I have used on this service. Only drawback is no tables.

Second problem, seeing I am using one of my free passes do I really want to stay in the Greater Manchester area. This is pondering me on the journey to Manchester Piccadilly so I decide to stay on the train after Piccadilly but where to! Time to consult Realtimetrains website, have to say since I started up properly again in this hobby this is the best website I have found. So after consulting the website I decide to do a shack attack day and note that if I stay on this train until Newton-le-Willows I only have to wait seven minutes for the Manchester Victoria to Liverpool Lime Street service. I get some sort of plan for the day which will become clear during the report while on the 319 as to which stations I want to visit. So at Newton-le-Willows I disembark and cop my first station for the day.

Third problem, as I wave bye-bye to the 319 at Newton-le-Willows I look up at the PID and notice that the train I was waiting for was on time but was all stations, quickly getting back on to the holy grail which is Realtimetrains I notice it is a forty minute journey to Liverpool, bit of a long journey but at least there was a chance of a cop for haulage…..I was wrong, 150147 rolled in, a dud. Seeing the next train going away from Manchester was a good 45 minutes later (1211 to Llandudno) I decide to board the 1123 to Liverpool and see if I can come up with anything else. After twenty minutes of disappointment thinking I was stuck on this train to Liverpool I stumbled on the fact that in five minutes time we would be arriving at Huyton and three minutes after that a train to Wigan North Western would be arriving and if I did that it would result in a new station and get me to Wigan North Western which was in my plans I had earlier made up.

At Huyton I got off the train, station number two for the day, had to make quick time to get to platform two as I didn’t realise that you had to leave the station to get over to platform 2. Here I could tell my ankle wasn’t fully recovered…OW!! A quick hobble more than anything. But it was worth it. As I got on the platform you could see the train approaching in the distance so I could have taken it a bit easier. As the train arrived I realised not only was it a new station but a cop for haulage….score!!! 156441 rolled in and I got on board with a window seat and a table.

By the time I got to Wigan North Western it was around lunch time and had a decision to make. Within five minutes there was a Virgin Trains to Preston or wait a further twenty minutes for the next one and go and get some lunch. I decide to wait a few minutes and see what is on the 1225 to Glasgow Central. 390112 arrives for the 1225, another new cop for me so lunch has to wait until I get to Preston. Don’t know what was going on today but the Virgin Train was absolutely packed with people standing.

On arriving at Preston I grab a sandwich and make my way to platform 2 for the 1300 to Colne, when this arrived it was 142060, a dud but I still boarded the train for a short journey to Bamber Bridge for another new shack where I crossed to the opposite platform for the Blackpool South Service ten minutes later, again when this train arrived it was 150205 another dud but at the moment I am only interested in new shacks.
I have to say, in a way I prefer the 142’s of Northern to the 150’s as the seats on the 150’s are too close together and my knees are in the back of the seat in front. My plan is to stay on this train to Blackpool South to get a another new shack but as I am going along the Blackpool South branch line I have a look at Google Maps and noticed that Blackpool South seemed some distance from my next target…..Blackpool Trams, never been on the new ones but I did notice that Squires Gate railway station was close to Starr Gate….excellent and Squires Gate was a new shack. A short walk from the train station was the tram stop and as I was approaching it I just missed a tram, typical!!

Starr Gate a new shack and 002 tram to take me to Cleveleys, I have to say that these trams are so slow. Although unlimited travel for £4.50 isn’t too bad of a price. Not much to say about the journey accept for the length of time it took but it gave me plenty of time to think what my next few moves where going to be. Arrived at Cleveleys (another new shack) bang on when the timetable said we would and only waited ten minutes for tram 001 to take me to North Pier (new shack) and then a short ten minute walk to Blackpool North were my plan was to pick up the 1612 to York as far as Blackburn (which would be another new shack) and then the first service to Manchester Victoria.

Fourth problem, or should I say first dilemma. On arriving at Blackpool North 158848 is stood in the platform to work the 1612 to York, a dud unit but on another platform stood 142003 & 142057 to work the 1621 to Todmorden. 142057 was a required unit for haulage and with recent reports of the alleged upcoming demises of the pacer units in the forthcoming years what do I do! Get a new station I’ve not logged before or haulage on a new unit thus decreasing the required numbers before they start to disappear. I have twenty minutes to decide, so it is off to the café for a coffee and ponder over my dilemma…….

I board the train and I depart Blackpool North still unsure about whether I made the right choice, the journey was quite a smooth one for the first ten minutes and was quite pleasantly surprised…..for another five minutes and then bounce, bounce, bounce. Why it is over certain bits of track a 142 is quite a smooth ride and then all of a sudden you think you are on a rollercoaster ride at a theme park? Yes I decided to cop the haulage. Ninety minutes on a 142 seemed excessive but I needed it for haulage and I was playing Candy Crush Soda on my phone and it helped to pass the journey.
As I was approaching Salford it was around 1730 and started thinking what my next move was to be. I thought of staying on the train to Castleton, then a train back to Mills Hill, then a train to Smithy Bridge and then back to Manchester Victoria to get another three new shacks for the day. But once I left Salford Central I decided to abandon that idea and just head off for the tram at Manchester Victoria to go home. I have had a good day but I was ready for home.

I had a mooch around Victoria with its new barriers and more and more of the station becoming accessible each time I visit and with each visit I become more and more impressed with what I am seeing.

My tram from Manchester Victoria to Cornbrook is 3040 and from Cornbrook to Sale Water Park is 3074, both duds.

The time is now just turned 1800 after my mooch around Victoria and for those who remember me saying I was using one of my free boxes today may or may not be aware that these boxes are valid for the day after as well and I don’t like using them only for one day, so if I am feeling okay in the morning with my ankle I will be out again, therefore I purchased a weekend ticket for the tram for £5.80 which is valid for unlimited travel between 1800 on the Friday until the end of service on the Sunday, I needed a ticket to get home anyhow. So the plan is to use my free pass on Saturday and do a shack attack on the Metrolink network on Sunday as long as my ankle is okay. This ticket is very good value for money but I am not sure how well publicised it is.

Also at Manchester Victoria the BTP were handing out cards with a text number you can text to discreetly report railway crime or incidents, thought it was a good idea. I will put a copy of them to this report should you wish to use the system.

Flickr pictures link below

North West Ramble

Attachments

• 20150320_223119.JPG
    20150320_223119.JPG
    328.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20150320_222620.JPG
    20150320_222620.JPG
    357.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Good to hear you're back out and about! :D A good way to test your ankle out fair dos, hopefully it'll be OK tomorrow too.

If you do do that Metrolink shack attack, have fun as it takes quite some determination to keep at it! As I'm sure my last trip report will show!

A pretty productive day had there, I too am hunting down 142s quite a bit this year. I have a hunch plenty of people will be doing so too!

Oh aye, that BTP thing is a good idea indeed. Only ever used it once, thankfully never really needed to use it. 61016 is a fairly easy number to remember at least!

Last edited:

Kristofferson

I know the pain of trying to catch a train with a limp (never wearing those Nikes again...) so glad you had a good day out nonetheless!

The BTP service is quite responsive, used it once to report a stupid child climbing a signal, not sure if anything ever came of it though.

andyb2706

Report to follow in the next couple of days for todays run around, also if I do the Metrolink shack attack tomorrow I might be focusing on the west of Manchester (Alrtincham, Eccles, East Didsbury and Airport lines) as Deansgate-Castlefield is shut down on Sunday and a bus replacement service is running which I would like to avoid at all cost.

Anyhow I will have plenty to keep me going if I do the trip. After the last two days the ankle is feeling a bit sore at the moment so I will see what it is like in the morning. Just beginning to get a bit stair crazy being stuck in all the time, which is a problem seeing I live in a ground floor flat ;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Don't blame you avoiding the replacement buses, it's slow enough getting through town on the trams let alone buses!

Status
Not open for further replies.