• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Animals on seats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nevillehill

This is becoming the norm, don't dog owners realise other customers have to sit on them seats.
Hope Arriva north new trains are plastic seats, last night chavvy type with a staffy sat on the seat of a 153, God help us if they make the trains driver only.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Ughh. If I were there I'd argue and shout at the dog owner.
I get very annoyed when the lazy owners leave their mess on the street.
Or ride a bike with the dog on a lead.
Bring back dog licenses!

Last edited by a moderator:

Antman

Established Member
This is becoming the norm, don't dog owners realise other customers have to sit on them seats.
Hope Arriva north new trains are plastic seats, last night chavvy type with a staffy sat on the seat of a 153, God help us if they make the trains driver only.

But no more disgusting than humans putting their feet on the seats!

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I always ask for dogs to be taken down from seats. I find that the older generation with "yapping rat" type dogs are often actually worse than the lads with their Staffies for this - the dog clearly being too precious to sit on the floor!

Gemz91

Does it bother people if the dog owner has brought a sheet to put on the seat, and theres plenty of spate seats?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Ughh. If I were there I'd argue and shout at the dog owner.
I get very annoyed when the lazy owners leave their mess on the street.
Or ride a bike with the dog on a lead.
Bring back dog licenses!

shout at me and i will shout back and I am bigger than you. If i take the dog on the train he sits on a seat on a towel as long as the train isn't busy. He is old, doesn't walk well and doesn't see well so doesn't cope with peoples legs and sudden movement.

If you want to try and put him in a box be my guest. How many fingers you have after trying is your business ;)

the state of some of the humans on the trains is worse than dogs! should they stand?

I always ask for dogs to be taken down from seats. I find that the older generation with "yapping rat" type dogs are often actually worse than the lads with their Staffies for this - the dog clearly being too precious to sit on the floor!

Ours doesn't sit on the seat if the train is busy and he always sits on a towel. He also has a good empty before boarding!

Antman

Established Member
Does it bother people if the dog owner has brought a sheet to put on the seat, and theres plenty of spate seats?

I can't see any problem with that, or having a dog on their lap.

richa2002

Established Member
I've never seen a dog use toilet paper. Ergo, their behind shouldn't be on a seat which humans have to sit on. Can't see a problem if a towel or sheet is brought along though.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I've never seen a dog use toilet paper. Ergo, their behind shouldn't be on a seat which humans have to sit on. Can't see a problem if a towel or sheet is brought along though.

no, but they do have a human to pick up the waste in a little plastic bag. It tends not to leave much residue. ;)

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Dogs aren't allowed on seats. End of.

Feet aren't allowed up on seats. End of.

However, I will tell people to put something down first, likewise people with feet up on seats, take shoes off as they would do on their own sofa at home. There's a difference between what's right and wrong, and what is acceptable and reasonable.

8A Rail

Established Member
Simply I dont take my dog on a train, much easier. If I did, I would have the train to myself (& the dog)! :lol:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There was a thread here: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=92717&highlight=dogs

I was once in a dispute with an East Coast Guard over this...
According to an East Coast guard, it's acceptable for a dog to occupy a seat, and for that seat to be covered in dog hairs.:neutral:

Fortunately East Coast customer services disagreed.

unclefreddy

My wife is one of the unfortunates to have a dog allergy, so sitting on a seat previously occupied by a dog would be a real spoiler for a day out for us. So towel or no it should be no dogs on seats. Feet on seats is also a no go, who knows what the perpetrators have been hiking through?
If you can get phone free carriages. how about pet free carriages?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
My wife is one of the unfortunates to have a dog allergy, so sitting on a seat previously occupied by a dog would be a real spoiler for a day out for us. So towel or no it should be no dogs on seats. Feet on seats is also a no go, who knows what the perpetrators have been hiking through?
If you can get phone free carriages. how about pet free carriages?

You hardly come across lots of pets on trains so I doubt it is an issue. Our dog has been on a real train about 5 times. Surely, for someone allergic, an outright ban would be better.

Last edited by a moderator:

carriageline

Established Member
Jesus, I think some people need to take a break from this place. This macho "I'm bigger than you are", and wanting to shout at someone at something so pathetic is absolutely childish, and silly keyboard warriors need to grow up a tad. This is a railway forum, not a playground.

For the record, I don't disagree with what Darlo would do, and would probably do the same if the dog was old or ill and not the sort of dog that molts a lot. If someone then asks if they could sit there, or the train then got busy then they would move. A couple of towels underneath of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
For the record, I don't disagree with what Darlo would do, and would probably do the same if the dog was old or ill and not the sort of dog that molts a lot. If someone then asks if they could sit there, or the train then got busy then they would move. A couple of towels underneath of course.

And he wouldn't be on the seat on a busy train ( I doubt I would even take him on a busy train - it would upset him quite a lot!)

As an aside he has done quite few heritage railways.

6Gman

Established Member
I once accompanied a friend and her dog on a (through) train from Redruth to Crewe (!)

She spent the entire journey on the floor.

The dog, not the friend.

rmt4ever

Without wanting to take sides, I thought I would look up the official position on this. The National Rail Conditions of Carriage are very explicit that this is not allowed.

From section 47:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static/documents/content/NRCOC.pdf

TfL too:

16.1 You can bring an assistance dog with you without charge. You can also bring with you without charge any other dog or inoffensive animal, unless there is a good reason for us to refuse it (such as if the animal seems dangerous). You must keep it under control on a lead or in a suitable container, and must not allow it on a seat. Staff are not allowed to take charge of any animal.

Altfish

We very infrequently take our dog on the train, if it is a short journey, we stand in the vestibule. For a longer journey I will take an aisle seat and under NO circumstances will my dog be allowed anywhere near a seat. His place is on the floor.

Not all dog owners are irresponsible.

The Ham

Established Member
If that is the response to a dog being on a train, how about a horse?

(in reference to the 2011 news story about a man trying to board a train with one, more details can be found here)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I saw a snake on a train once. I also saw a parrot in a cage on one occasion! He was sat on the table

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
those that bring dogs on the train need to have tickets for the dogs....

....Rovers!

wey hey ;)

We had such a thing over the weekend on the Welsh Highland Railway! I said my dog wasn't called Rover but they didn't seem to understand............

Last edited:

martin2345uk

Established Member
Speaking of dogs I've never understood why there's a blanket ban on them on the Manchester Metrolink... unless they're being taken to the animal hospital. Or they're guide dogs of course.

You can take them on buses and trains, so why not the trams?

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
We very infrequently take our dog on the train, if it is a short journey, we stand in the vestibule. For a longer journey I will take an aisle seat and under NO circumstances will my dog be allowed anywhere near a seat. His place is on the floor.

Not all dog owners are irresponsible.

That's great, I know many dog owners like yourself adhere the actual rules when travelling (most of them probably), well done.
Sadly some dog owners threaten me because they're bigger than me by suggesting they'll eat my fingers!

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
The rules are the rules and they should be respected and enforced.

Absolutely, thanks for that Greenback, the problem is the lack of respect and the excessive use of "My Rights" while disregarding the responsibility that accompanies those rights

Status
Not open for further replies.