• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Animals On Seats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Last time I said on this forum that pets should be banned on trains, I was completely ripped apart, but I'll reiterate here that I think all pets should be blanketly banned across all public transport. My experience of dogs on trains (and buses too) is that about 95% of them were either sitting on seats, sleeping in the aisle or walking up and down the carriage.

Would that include Assistance animals?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprunt

I can’t believe that 95% of dogs on trains are on seats, in the aisle or marauding around the carriage but
Many of the users of this forum seem to be the unluckiest people in the world. Whenever there's a potential on-train annoyance being discussed, there's a rush of posts from people claiming that the thing in question happens to them on every single public transport journey they make, which is nowhere near my experience.

LowLevel

Established Member
I spend half my life on trains and have far less trouble from animals than people.

I've had 2 unfortunate experiences on board with animals - one was a German Shepherd that had the runs all over the floor outside my cab and that was the owner's fault - it had been on the train for over 4 hours at that point and I've never seen any living being look so distressed afterwards - they say dogs can't be embarrassed etc but this one looked like it wanted to disappear through the floor. The owner cleaned it up as best she could and we chucked a load of bleach on it.

The second was someone having an allergic reaction to a kitten that was in a carry box. Can't really be helped, they were fine on being moved to another coach.

bramling

Veteran Member
Many of the users of this forum seem to be the unluckiest people in the world. Whenever there's a potential on-train annoyance being discussed, there's a rush of posts from people claiming that the thing in question happens to them on every single public transport journey they make, which is nowhere near my experience.

I can’t say that dogs on trains are a massive issue round here.

However on preserved railways it’s another matter entirely - and a look at Trip Adviser will show this is much more than a niche issue. Indeed I notice the Ffestiniog Railway has had to introduce a “dog-free carriage” on its services, so clearly there have been issues.

Likewise none of this takes away from the fact that a proportion of dog owners seems to feel that owning a dog allows them to behave in ways that they wouldn’t dream of doing otherwise. Like depositing sh*t in public spaces and not clearing it up, jumping up on people, being a trip hazard etc. Really it should be considered a full-blown assault if someone allows their dog to jump up on someone and it causes injury (no matter how minor) or property damage (for example scratches to clothing), yet many dog owners seem to shrug this off. It is this nonchalant and arrogant attitude which earns them a bad name.

Calthrop

Established Member
Thinking -- following from my yesterday's post -- further about "pigs by passenger train" (seems that I'm at a loose end ...): there comes to mind another thing from the Continent -- referred to, glancingly, in the "Railway History and Nostalgia" sub-forum in May this year, in a thread essentially about the period of National Service in Britain and its impact on rail passenger services. In East Germany in Communist times, four-wheeled railbuses working on country branch lines were nicknamed "piglet taxis" (Ferkeltaxen), because of farmers' often using them to convey their porcine "chums". Maybe the expression is still current in those parts? (One gathers that it was an East German thing: in much-more-prosperous West Germany, virtually every farmer would have had their own private road transport, and the situation would not have arisen.) A bit of wondering is prompted, as to whether railbus conductors were rigorous about passengers neatly stowing their piglets away, and not having them travelling on seats...

Peter0124

Established Member
Animals shouldn't be banned on trains. Animals sitting on the seats should, especially if they aren't on a blanket or towel.

It also doesn't help that its often promoted on social media through owners taking pictures of their dogs sitting on the seat (even though some are admittedly cute) etc.

Last edited:

19Gnasher69

Animals should be banned from public transport.
Perhaps there’s an enterprising TOC out there which could run animal-free trains. They could reinstate Pacers and acquire class 150s when they become available. No point getting new stock as the clientele wouldn’t have anything to whinge about.

Purple Train

Established Member
Perhaps there’s an enterprising TOC out there which could run animal-free trains. They could reinstate Pacers and acquire class 150s when they become available. No point getting new stock as the clientele wouldn’t have anything to whinge about.
Given what some of the human passengers are like, in certain areas of the country "animal-free trains" would run virtually empty. ;)

Skiddaw

How does that work for people like me who use public transport to take their cat to the vets?

Bus stop is right by the vets premises
Yes indeed, back in the days before I had a car I used to take my (sadly now long deceased) cat to the local vet by bus. He was a very sociable cat and would be quite happy in his carry-cage watching everyone on the bus. Dear soul that he was. Our current cat would be beside himself.

I met someone with a pet rat on a train once. Rat was very sweet indeed and absolutely no bother to anyone. I also met someone with a (again very well behaved) pet parrot on his shoulder on a train. It was like sitting next to Captain Pugwash!

james_the_xv

So, no animals at all. Blind people with guide dogs should drive?
Just going to pop this here:
Maybe it's more a commentary on the type of people who take their dogs on trains local to me, but I'm staunchly of the opinion that no dogs should be allowed on trains.*

*Edit - Except registered guide/service dogs of course
I'm not saying that an you know it. Anyway, when was the last time you saw a blind roadman with a Bully XL assistance dog? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom125

I’ve always travelled with my dog on Transport for Wales and Arriva before it from the Cambrian coast to south Wales. My dog always sits on the floor by my feet and in summer you see quite a lot of dogs and their human counterparts using the Cambrian coast to see and enjoy all its natural beauty. I quite agree that dogs should not be on seats just as human shoes should not be on seats.

In Austria where I worked for a few years it was common place to see dogs on trams, trains and in shops, I don’t understand the viewpoint of banning them from trains. As long has the owner has them under control and they are following the policy of the train operating company then there is no issue as far as I am concerned.

On the point of fleas- they can be carried on human clothes. Regarding bed bugs they can be carried on luggage- you cannot keep every communal area completely pest free and blaming dogs for such things is silly. The world is a messy place even though we humans like to think of it in a sanitised way. Over the years I’ve seen far more disgusting human behaviours on trains than dog ones.

To finish on a happy note TfW staff have always been lovely and on hot days the catering staff on the trolley have asked me if the dog wants a cup of water! A nice touch of Welsh customer service- keeps me using the train instead of the car.

jumble

I would report it; speak to staff who should - unless there are exceptional circumstances such as the train being extremely busy and unable to get through - speak to the customer.

Animals are not allowed on seats.

I did once ask an LNER guard (back before it was LNER but one of the previous franchise holders) who denied this rule; I emailed the company straight away who apologised and confirmed that they had addressed the matter with the guard in question.

I completely agree with the part in bold.

As for the part in brackets, I don't agree with that because I do very much like to see well behaved dogs/cats on trains, but you are right that even if people don't like dogs, they have to be accepted (providing they are well behaved and looked after by responsible owners).
I am pleased that you approve of me
Of course you know me and know that I behave properly on trains and elsewhere and would not even consider going on seats
Regards Summer the Cocker Spaniel

Amlag

I am pleased that you approve of me
Of course you know me and know that I behave properly on trains and elsewhere and would not even consider going on seats
Regards Summer the Cocker Spaniel

If only students were so thoughtful with regards to where they put their feet on trains !

londonbridge

Established Member
This taxi driver didn’t seem to think so:

Wolverhampton taxi driver loses licence for refusing guide dog.

A taxi driver who refused to pick up an assistance dog and abandoned his passenger has had his licence revoked.
Shamal Hussein Majid told the customer the dog could go in his boot but there would be an extra £10 cleaning fee, Wolverhampton City Council said.
He also claimed he was allergic but did not have exemption paperwork and left the "vulnerable" customer, who is registered blind, at the roadside.
Mr Majid lost his appeal at Black Country Magistrates' Court on Friday.
The council said Mr Majid, from St Andrew's House in Wolverhampton, refused to carry the customer with a guide dog from Molineux Stadium on 7 March last year.

'Inexcusable'

He ended up abandoning the customer and drove away in his private hire vehicle, the authority said.
Under the 2010 Equality Act, a driver will have committed an offence if they refuse to carry a disabled person's dog and allow it to remain with that person. It is also an offence if they make any additional charge for letting the dog remain with the owner.
Chris Howell, the council's commercial regulation manager, said: "Leaving a vulnerable person at the side of the road is inexcusable and certainly not the high standard that we expect from our licensed drivers who all undergo disability awareness training to ensure they are aware of their legal obligation to carry assistance dogs at no additional charge.
"Where a driver has a medical condition that would prevent them from carrying assistance dogs, this must be independently verified through medical testing and an exemption certificate is issued."
Mr Majid was also ordered ordered to pay £300 towards the council's legal costs.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Animals should be banned from public transport.
I don't know if you're just posting this to be controversial or provocative, but this is such a pointless post; no reason given or anything. In what way does someone, such as myself, travelling to a park or woodland with their quiet, well-behaved dog on a train negatively impact you?

Archvile

I don't know if you're just posting this to be controversial or provocative, but this is such a pointless post; no reason given or anything. In what way does someone, such as myself, travelling to a park or woodland with their quiet, well-behaved dog on a train negatively impact you?

See my posts further up.

I do think that the higher rate of neurodiversity on these forums may explain some of the tone behind certain posts as well.

Peter0124

Established Member
Because the dog hasn’t got a ticket?
Neither do children aged under 5.

Whilst I probably wouldn't be comfortable having a strangers dog sit beside me (especially if it was large), they should still be allowed to travel.

Stewart2887

Not railway related, but when I was Commodore of the local sailing club, dogs were one of the biggest problems. Lots of people are uneasy or scared around dogs (including me). If I had to use any public transport, I wouldn't like unfamiliar dogs in a confined space. To continue my sailing club experience, when I joined the club in 1994, the first day, the then Commodore's dog bit my wife. On a train would be concerning to me, but I guess I could move

TUC

Established Member
My opinion on this is there should atleast be a thick enough blanket or towel covering the entire seat first before allowing the dog to sit on it. To avoid getting hairs/muck/urine etc on the actual seat.

I'm not scared so much of being bitten, its more the dog coming into my personal space/licking me or getting slabbers on my clothes. Generally placid animals (like Shih Tzus) are okay
There's no need for a dog to be on a seat in the first place. My wife is a guide dog owner, and so we are clearly pro-dogs being able to travel, but would regard as an absolute No for dogs to be on seats. They can fit perfectly well at your feet.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Not sure what the official policy is, but I agree with you. They should be on the floor - absolutely non-negotiable.
I agree with this, I know humans aren't always very clean but I don't think it's too fair someone should have to sit there afterwards without realising.

Status
Not open for further replies.