• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annoying Announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neptune

Established Member
The worst manual announcements are the ‘comedians’ such as “we will be cruising at an altitude of zero feet”. Totally grating, unprofessional and unnecessary.

Guards should only make announcements when the auto system is down/faulty (trainfx I’m looking at you) or during disruption. Let the auto system do it’s job as that’s what it’s there for.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jim the Jim

I like guards' announcements; it's nice to be reminded there's a competent human being onboard with some concern for passengers, and we're not all totally at the mercy of soulless robots. And I've never heard a guard's joke I didn't appreciate.

1955LR

What annoys me is when the the auto announcements and message boards are out of sync. with the actual train position. "Next station stop is Leominster" when its Ludlow

XAM2175

Established Member
it's nice to be reminded there's a competent human being onboard with some concern for passengers, and we're not all totally at the mercy of soulless robots.
I understand that sentiment, but I'm not really okay with being treated as a captive audience :p

On Moderation
There was a guard on Waterloo-Reading services who gave long-winded announcements after every stop and before the next one. Departure announcement from Waterloo was finished as we arrived at Clapham Junction. Followed by incessant drivel at every stop. I actually made a comment to him as I walked past on the platform when I got off.

Few weeks later, same guard, same thing. That got a formal complaint to SWT as a result.

geoffk

Established Member
When I lived in Greater Manchester, we used to hear "we will shortly be arriving at Deansgate" immediately after leaving Salford Crescent - only 1 mile 37 chains away but with four junctions intervening and the strong possibility of being stopped at signals at one of them, by which time you've forgotten what the announcement was! Some of us on here can remember when trains didn't have PA and we all seemed to know where we were going, when to get off, never fell through the "gap" or slipped over in wet weather.

mpthomson

Thank you for the explanation, that's fair enough. I don't mind the security related part but it's the "See it Say it" tag that I just find grating. Although it probably is more preferable able to hear a human voice repeat it than the digitalised versions from some of our PA systems we have now. And I'm not surprised about the Train FX system being rubbish - you really do have to wonder who signed that thing off!

See It, Say It etc was designed to be an 'earworm', ie something that people don't forget as it burns its way into your sub-conscious. The fact that it irritates you shows it's done its job.

fgwrich

Established Member
There was a guard on Waterloo-Reading services who gave long-winded announcements after every stop and before the next one. Departure announcement from Waterloo was finished as we arrived at Clapham Junction. Followed by incessant drivel at every stop. I actually made a comment to him as I walked past on the platform when I got off.

Few weeks later, same guard, same thing. That got a formal complaint to SWT as a result.

It could be worse, I presume you’ve heard the infamous stories from Wokingham and the station staff member who would, quite literally, narrate a story from whatever book he was reading at the time, over the stations PA system!

See It, Say It etc was designed to be an 'earworm', ie something that people don't forget as it burns its way into your sub-conscious. The fact that it irritates you shows it's done its job.

Ear worm it is. Irritation is also is - try working on a station and hearing that all day long, then have your train and the guard announce it almost immediately after each other - it’s just a case of when is too much well, too much?

lachlan

Yes, I agree that this accessibility issue is one that definitely needs to be considered when favouring "live" announcements.

(though I'll admit that I also agree entirely with many comments about excessive announcements being fatiguing, and that I also don't really enjoy attempts to bring a holiday airline flavour to the passenger experience)
Would it be possible for guards to type out any important live announcements after saying them, so they are accesible to deaf passengers too? Asking guards to type any live announcements may also cut down on the comedy!

norbitonflyer

Established Member
What has always grated on leaving a London terminus is the "we are scheduled to arrive at [e.g.] Shepperton at xx.xx". This announcement only reinforces the impression that the railway considers the "country" terminus is the only important place on the line, and the intermediate stops a mere inconvenience (also manifest in the habit of skipping all the intermediate stations, some of them far busier (such as Clapham Junction, Wimbledon, Kingston - in fact every station on the route except Upper Halliford) to make up time, even in the evening peak when the number of counter-flow passengers who would be inconvenienced by a late departure (or a skip-stopping run) back to London would be far fewer).

(And I do mean far busier - for example the latest (2019/20) annual stats show Kingston had thirteen times as many passengers as Shepperton).

It is equally pointless when the destination is a major one, but the train is a stopping service, and the destination is served by faster trains. No-one on board a stopper to Woking when it leaves Waterloo should care what time it is due to reach Woking, as they should be on a longer distance train whose first stop is Woking. No-one, that is except the driver, who presumably knows, and the guard, who is making the announcement.

dingdinger

Some of the announcements that tocs ask staff to make are quite tedious. However the problem with headphones and ignoring/not listening to manual announcements could mean you end up on a service which skips your stop during disruption-which many passengers do.

And as you'll see on this forum many guards will struggle to satisfy every passenger. Some people moan when they don't make them, some moan if they do, some like humour and some don't. It's a fine balance in my opinion.

paddy1

EMR Intercity services out of London St Pancras are by the worst I've experienced, and really grate. It was exactly the same with EMT/Stagecoach. Before the trains has even departed you get the never ending spiel on full volume about ...I am your train manager....ticket types ... super off peak/off peak/full anytime fares not valid, must upgrade to full fare, advance tickets must be valid for this train ...Covid must wear masks, sit by the window, socially distance etc... no catering due to Covid...if see anything suspicious tell police, see it, say it, sorted... calling points...short platforms at Beeston, Long Eaton etc... first class at front, standard at rear... train made up of two portions..., keep the aisles and vestibules clear of luggage...hope you enjoy your journey with EMR. On and on it goes, and all gets repeated again on departure and is still going on even as you pass West Hampstead TL. It's actually a relief when the PA system breaks down or is partially or fully inaudible and you don't have to listen to it over and over again

driverd

The problem is that, for every misery on the train who likes to have a good moan, you'll have 10 indifferent customers and 5 who actually enjoyed and appreciated an informative announcement.

In my days as a guard, one of the most frequent bits of positive feedback I got was for my announcements. No doubt, members on this forum would have found them irritating, yet in 5 years working for that particular TOC, I'd receive a roughly weekly complement via feedback channels, to one single complaint for being overly lengthy over the 5 year period.

As enthusiasts or regular travellers, its really easy to forget just how confusing and sometimes daunting train travel can be to the average person. From differing stopping patterns every hour, to platform alterations, advance ticket restrictions etc, the average person has a whole lot to stress about, and a lengthy yet informative announcement can go a long way to addressing those concerns.

Everyone has their niggles, for instance, I can't stand "if you have any questions, please contact your conductor". Personally, I feel that information would be much better delivered as "my name is x, I'm your conductor, and if I can help you with anything, please don't hesitate to contact me as I make my way through the train". People do look at your name tag, and it just makes them feel much more at ease asking what they may feel is a silly question. I use this example as I have often read people criticising guards who introduce themselves as "overly familiar".

Ultimately, the railway is pitched to its customers, who on the whole, are not enthusiasts.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
An announcement I enjoyed once was on a very late XC train leaving Birmingham overcrowded. The TM said "This is the xx:xx service to Manchester. I know it's full, I know it's late, but I've only just got on it so will be doing a ticket check. Please be gentle with me!"It easied a lot of frustration to hear a human element

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Generally speaking I wear headphones
I do the same. Before I read your reply I was going to ask if I was the only one who just has headphones on so I don't usually hear many announcements anyway!
The problem is that, for every misery on the train who likes to have a good moan, you'll have 10 indifferent customers and 5 who actually enjoyed and appreciated an informative announcement.

In my days as a guard, one of the most frequent bits of positive feedback I got was for my announcements. No doubt, members on this forum would have found them irritating, yet in 5 years working for that particular TOC, I'd receive a roughly weekly complement via feedback channels, to one single complaint for being overly lengthy over the 5 year period.

As enthusiasts or regular travellers, its really easy to forget just how confusing and sometimes daunting train travel can be to the average person. From differing stopping patterns every hour, to platform alterations, advance ticket restrictions etc, the average person has a whole lot to stress about, and a lengthy yet informative announcement can go a long way to addressing those concerns.

Everyone has their niggles, for instance, I can't stand "if you have any questions, please contact your conductor". Personally, I feel that information would be much better delivered as "my name is x, I'm your conductor, and if I can help you with anything, please don't hesitate to contact me as I make my way through the train". People do look at your name tag, and it just makes them feel much more at ease asking what they may feel is a silly question. I use this example as I have often read people criticising guards who introduce themselves as "overly familiar".

Ultimately, the railway is pitched to its customers, who on the whole, are not enthusiasts.
Have to agree with this too.
Infact I'm sure there are similar staff to you on different ToC's as I certainly have had different guards put a little colour into their announcements on many different routes (I think the best one so far was a XC guard announcing Stoke on Trent as "Sunny Stoke By the Sea" - it wasn't sunny, and of course Stoke is nowhere near the sea!). it certainly can inject a little humour and fun into an activity that most people don't get as excited by as us lot.

WestRiding

EMR Intercity services out of London St Pancras are by the worst I've experienced, and really grate. It was exactly the same with EMT/Stagecoach. Before the trains has even departed you get the never ending spiel on full volume about ...I am your train manager....ticket types ... super off peak/off peak/full anytime fares not valid, must upgrade to full fare, advance tickets must be valid for this train ...Covid must wear masks, sit by the window, socially distance etc... no catering due to Covid...if see anything suspicious tell police, see it, say it, sorted... calling points...short platforms at Beeston, Long Eaton etc... first class at front, standard at rear... train made up of two portions..., keep the aisles and vestibules clear of luggage...hope you enjoy your journey with EMR. On and on it goes, and all gets repeated again on departure and is still going on even as you pass West Hampstead TL. It's actually a relief when the PA system breaks down or is partially or fully inaudible and you don't have to listen to it over and over again
By which time you're nearly at Luton. Can't wait for the Catering to start again, because after all the Guards repetition of the automated announcements, the Catering team will pipe up then.

Getting just as bad on the platform too, yesterday morning it was none stop. Train announcement, covid announcemet, rain announcemet, btp announcement, and then it all starts again. Ironic how you hardly get announcements on an Airport.

I am convinced that a lot of the guards announcements are because they feel the need for importance. The 2220 TPX from Manchester to Doncaster yesterday, all the automated stuff, then the guard came on, said exactly the same, gave us an excuse why itvwas late, told us that they are going to do all they can in their power to make some time up (not sure how that works, the guard didn't show her face, and the driver is bound by speed limits and other trains, but hey ho) then followed up by some giggles because her mobile phone started ringing in the back ground, where the announcement suddenly stopped mid sentence.

Then approaching Sheffield, the automated stuff, and then the guard, full of pauses not actually knowing what she wanted to say, so why bother at all, but parted with letting us know that the train should be on time 'because I aranged for us to go a different way to Doncaster'. Diverted then, and with all due respect it was probably the Signal Box and Control that made that decision.

Its just so, so, unnecessary.
And I'm sorry if it sounds derogatory, but if you are going to make an announcement, at least have an idea what you want to say. Nothing needs saying what has already been said.

Surprised we didn't get told about the life belt situation under the seats, for when we went over the River Don.

Last edited:

Neo9320

Maybe something along the lines of ‘please listen carefully to the automated announcements and come and find me if you have any questions, my name is ‘job title-name’ and I can be found ‘location/walking around the train’

just a thought

obviously if the automation isn’t working then they should read out what would have been said

centraltrains

Getting just as bad onnthe platform too, yesterday morning it was none stop. Train announcement, covid announcemet, rain announcemet, btp announcement, and then it all starts again. Ironic how you hardly get announcements on an Airport.
Perhaps depends on the station? Birmingham New Street seems to have really changed their announcement zoning over the covid period. Hardly ever hear departure announcements on the platforms unless there is disruption or an alteration - just the "If you see something that...." periodically a little eerie as every platform plays it at the same time with slight delay/speed of sound.

Even when walking though the main concourse they don't seem to be playing the departure announcements, just rain, covid and btp occasionally.

I quite like humours announcements, one guard on the Snow Hill Lines who always announces to change at new street for "connections in all directions" which always gives me a smile. The scripted "We're all in this together and there some things you can do to help..." which most guards were announcing at the start, and some continue now does irritate me.

Also have an automatic covid one on the train "We want you to feel confident when traveling by train. Please remember to put a face covering over your mouth and noes, unless you are exempt." after Spring Road. Have to say that one is quite comforting.

WestRiding

And while I'm on one :s

The guards who at length just recently give a 2 minute speech on ticket validity. You can only use a super dooper off peak premium Tuesday only, but only when Tuesday falls on Easter Monday, Advance Purchase, not valid for use on trains, ticket, or you will have to purchase a full price Peak ticket valid on trains, but not that train.

BUT THEN NEVER COME TO CHECK THE TICKET, AND ENFORCE WHAT THEY HAVE JUST SAID.

I went from Sheffield to Glasgow yesterday and if it wasn't for the guard on the EMR from Sheffield to Oxford Road, I could have travelled for free. That is a disgrace. But it's a topic for another time. If I am paying £130 odd quid for a ticket, I want it checking. Or else why should I purchase one.

Yet, yesterday when the automated thing went wrong telling the passengers that the train was too long for platforms, incorrectly, no body put it right.

Last edited:

py_megapixel

Established Member
Guards should only make announcements when the auto system is down/faulty (trainfx I’m looking at you) or during disruption. Let the auto system do it’s job as that’s what it’s there for.
I agree in principle, but I think it's important that staff have the confidence to shut up the automated system as soon as there is a hint that it might be doing something wrong, rather than waiting. I was once on a GWR service where TFX was quite happy waffling on, a station out of sync, and the guard waited for several (wrongly announced) stations before resetting it which I don't consider acceptable.

The number one priority should be providing correct and clear information by whatever means. Usually, the auto announcements are the best way to provide that, but when they're not, they need to be switched off to avoid confusion.

Another unrelated thing that annoys me is staff shouting into microphones. The mic amplifies your voice so you don't have to shout, that's the entire point!

As has been said before: Guards are told they have to make certain announcements at certain places, e.g, pre-departure, approaching major interchanges, approaching terminus regardless of whether or not an automated announcement has just said the same thing. Personally, I tend not to repeat an automated pre-departure announcement although I will announce the departure time and destination as well as the stuff the automated announcement doesn't cover such as Covid advice, other TOC-specific tickets not being valid, and advance tickets only valid on the train shown on the ticket.

Why do I do that? (1) Because management tell me to; (2) The excuse "nobody told me this ticket wasn't valid" doesn't hold water when I've just made an announcement saying precisely that.

Re noise cancelling headphones. If you really find announcements so annoying that you have to not hear then then fine. Just don't expect any sympathy when you missed the announcement telling you your stop was being skipped and don't wonder why the guard appears slightly irritated when he's had to ask to see your ticket 5 times (at increasing volume) because your wonderful headphones meant you couldn't hear him/her!!!

Now where's the thread where I can anonymously criticize/tell other people how to do their jobs?

Deafdoggie

Established Member
And while I'm on one :s

If I am paying £130 odd quid for a ticket, I want it checking. Or else why should I purchase one.
Presumably you just walk out of a self-serve Tesco till without paying too. If there's no one checking your £130 shop, why should you pay?

TommyJ

I understand that sentiment, but I'm not really okay with being treated as a captive audience :p
I quite agree.
And frankly I would question the attitude to the job of a safety critical person if they give the impression that cracking unfunny jokes is their focus. I find excessive announcements rude tbh.
Management should be giving clear guidance about this, and ultimately that’s where the responsibility lies.

01d-and

Have to agree with the automatic announcements being out of sync with the actual stations . . . . My personal dislike is on the West Midlands Cross City Line when you get , calling at . . . . Barnt Green , AlvERchurch . Having lived in the area for 60+ years , I can assure you no one pronounces Alvechurch that way. :D

norbitonflyer

Established Member
The excuse "nobody told me this ticket wasn't valid" doesn't hold water when I've just made an announcement saying precisely that.
But the time to tell them it isn't valid is before they joined the train. There's no point in telling them when it's too late.

A sensible announcement is the one you get on SWT approaching Surbiton or Feltham, telling you that Oyster, London Freedom Passes, etc are not valid beyond the next stop.

Have to agree with the automatic announcements being out of sync with the actual stations . . . . My personal dislike is on the West Midlands Cross City Line when you get , calling at . . . . Barnt Green , AlvERchurch . Having lived in the area for 60+ years , I can assure you no one pronounces Alvechurch that way. :D
Another one is the new Avanti Voyager announcements that pronounce Wolverhampton Wolver'ton super annoying.

TommyJ

As has been said before: Guards are told they have to make certain announcements at certain places, e.g, pre-departure, approaching major interchanges, approaching terminus regardless of whether or not an automated announcement has just said the same thing. Personally, I tend not to repeat an automated pre-departure announcement although I will announce the departure time and destination as well as the stuff the automated announcement doesn't cover such as Covid advice, other TOC-specific tickets not being valid, and advance tickets only valid on the train shown on the ticket.

Why do I do that? (1) Because management tell me to; (2) The excuse "nobody told me this ticket wasn't valid" doesn't hold water when I've just made an announcement saying precisely that.

Re noise cancelling headphones. If you really find announcements so annoying that you have to not hear then then fine. Just don't expect any sympathy when you missed the announcement telling you your stop was being skipped and don't wonder why the guard appears slightly irritated when he's had to ask to see your ticket 5 times (at increasing volume) because your wonderful headphones meant you couldn't hear him/her!!!

Now where's the thread where I can anonymously criticize/tell other people how to do their jobs?
Genuinely interested why management would tell you to repeat information just given by the PIS. Because that sounds mad.
Passenger needs should be the focus of the railway (after safety of course), so why not welcome passenger feedback?
My issues are: excessive announcements or repetition; wisecracks and inappropriate announcements.
I positively welcome minimal professionally done announcements which convey useful information.

Status
Not open for further replies.