• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annoying television adverts...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

birchesgreen

Established Member
The Nationwide advert is very annoying but as there isn't a branch within an hours drive of me it's not a firm I'd deal with anyway.
My wife, who is a Nationwide customer, raised an eyebrow when the advert claimed they arn't closing branches... as they closed our local branch last year. :lol:

I can't stand the new Google Pixel ad where they show the new feature to change people's heads.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Tins of baked beans are not light items, so looking at the number of them that the man is packing in his suitcase, could there be a danger in having it overweight.
If he's attempting to cart anything more than 40 tins of baked beans, there's every chance, if we say that 1 tin = 0.5kg and the standard hold luggage allowance is 23kg.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
My wife, who is a Nationwide customer, raised an eyebrow when the advert claimed they arn't closing branches... as they closed our local branch last year. :lol:

Don't have a television so can't comment on that but there's a very repetitive Nationwide radio ad.
Careful use of present tense. In the ad a bank worker goes into his boss's office and says, 'Nationwide aren't closing branches'. reinforced at end by 'We're not closing branches'
Not currently - they've already done it. In this town (one of the constituents of Nw was based here) two out of three branches were closed recently.

Does seem like very close to misleading.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
In the advert shown, it is clear that there are other items that have also been packed in the suitcase besides the tins of baked beans.
Possibly, although I doubt, having just looked again at the footage, that there's much more than three dozen cans in the suitcase. Anyhoo, think we're possibly over-analyzing what's meant to be a semi-humorous advert.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Possibly, although I doubt, having just looked again at the footage, that there's much more than three dozen cans in the suitcase. Anyhoo, think we're possibly over-analyzing what's meant to be a semi-humorous advert.
Even taking the three-dozen tins that you state, it will do nothing to better his obvious flatulence problem.

PGAT

Established Member
The trains, now on Uber ad, where they have a Greater Anglia train going to Portsmouth Harbour <D

dgl

Established Member
Some new Duracell Christmas ad's with Santa having a crash because the batteries in Rudolf's nose have gone flat, only to be replaced by Duracell's and everything's fine. More likely is that the Duracell's leak in Rudolf's nose, stopping it glowing for good!
Yes Duracell we know Zinc-Carbon/Chloride batteries are crap, that's not a legitimate comparison, maybe compare you batteries with other Alkaline ones and see what that result is!

Lost property

The one showing a couple of adults seemingly doing an impression of the Domino's / Haribo ads over a certain box of chocolates...and, the Lenor one showing a shop assistant sniffing another mans socks...nothing like a bit of obscure fetishism to promote a product really.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The one showing a couple of adults seemingly doing an impression of the Domino's / Haribo ads over a certain box of chocolates...and, the Lenor one showing a shop assistant sniffing another mans socks...nothing like a bit of obscure fetishism to promote a product really.
That Lenor advert makes some rather strange claims and would be most annoying if a person entered a lift and the men and women in the lift as one leant forward towards the person. I don't know what must have then happened as when the man leaves the lift, the hair of all the other occupants' hair is stood on end. I make sure that I never stand near old women with a dog in a bus shelter, being warned of what might happen in the bus shelter according to another part of the same T V advert.

OuterDistant

I've seen a John Lewis advert involving some sort of scary plant. Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but if it's meant to make me want to shop there, no wonder they're in the ****!

Northumbriana

I can't stand the new Google Pixel ad where they show the new feature to change people's heads.
It's basically advertising deceit and covering up imperfection. You can create a photo of a basketball shot you can't physically do so you can lie to people. And you and your friends didn't look photogenic enough for a group shot so let's change things. Seems a bit disturbing to me, real life isn't presentable enough so it needs to be edited.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I've seen a John Lewis advert involving some sort of scary plant. Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but if it's meant to make me want to shop there, no wonder they're in the ****!
I first thought it was an advert for a film on the book "The Fly Trap" ( image below is of said book ).

1700836518274.png

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I first thought it was an advert for a film on the book "The Fly Trap" ( image below is of said book ).

View attachment 147187
Of course, there was the big one in "Little Shop of Horrors"............."Feed me, Seymour"

(I think that was the first time I saw Rick Moranis in a screen role and he helped the plant satisfy its needs)

daveo

It's basically advertising deceit and covering up imperfection. You can create a photo of a basketball shot you can't physically do so you can lie to people. And you and your friends didn't look photogenic enough for a group shot so let's change things. Seems a bit disturbing to me, real life isn't presentable enough so it needs to be edited.
The old saying was "the camera never lies"

daveo

Not an advert per se, so I hope it's allowed. Sky Sports during football half time, a long ad break then less than 1 minute of the presenter then another ad break. What's the point? (I've no doubt it's money related with probable links to advert quotas).

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Not an advert per se, so I hope it's allowed. Sky Sports during football half time, a long ad break then less than 1 minute of the presenter then another ad break. What's the point? (I've no doubt it's money related with probable links to advert quotas).
They probably don't want to have an ad break whilst the match is currently in progress, although, if they could actually arrange this I'm sure that they would.

dangie

Established Member
They probably don't want to have an ad break whilst the match is currently in progress, although, if they could actually arrange this I'm sure that they would.
I remember many years ago when I was in Australia, watching a live televised golf tournament. A player had just hit a long putt and when the ball was halfway to the hole it cut to an ad break.