• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annoying television adverts...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

75A

Established Member
The advertising that annoys me the most is where it's of no relevance to the area where the advert is being shown.
For example:
The Postcode Lottery regularly shown on UTV, right down the bottom in small print it says - not available in N.Ireland, so if it's not available why advertise it here?
We also regularly see adverts for the LNER, which you wouldn't exactly call local would you?

Last edited:

1D54

BBC advertising snow in East London last night... Well it looked good on Eastenders anyway

Benters

The advertising that annoys me the most is where it's of no relevance to the area where the advert is being shown.
For example:
The Postcode Lottery regularly shown on UTV, right down the bottom in small print it says - not available in N.Ireland, so if it's not available why advertise it here?
We also regularly see adverts for the LNER, which you wouldn't exactly call local would you?
I can sympathise here - I live in Avanti West Coast land and still get adverts for LNER and GWR , none of which operate services local to me.

AM9

Veteran Member
Why hasn't the adverts made me buy anything then?
Because advertising isn't as simplistic as that and they are idesigned ťo do far more than that.product placement, celebrity endorsement, words in songs and scripts are part of corporarecorporate image definition toolkit for manipulating potential customers' subconcious feelings about commercial organisations.

daveo

For a number of years PC World / Dixons / Currys was my first call for computers or electrics, but had repeated problems with their deliveries (missed dates twice and dumped items just inside the front door rather than bringing to my flat door). Earlier this year I needed a new refrigerator and Washer / Dryer. I decided to try AO.Com. Items cheaper than D & C group. Delivery on a specific day. 2 hour time window. Phone call ½ hour before arrival. Faultless installation and removal of old items. 10/10 and my first port of call in future!!!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Starting to get decidedly annoyed with the latest "On the Beach" advert (the one with the Paddy McGuinness voiceover) featuring the kind of brattish family you'd probably spend all of your holiday trying to avoid.

Anyone else?

Just don't see who would identify themselves as being a potential customer for this particular firm's services (= online travel agency)?

Seems the ad agency has done a fantastic job of convincing me to never ever want to book a holiday with "On The Beach". :s

dgl

Established Member
Starting to get decidedly annoyed with the latest "On the Beach" advert (the one with the Paddy McGuinness voiceover) featuring the kind of brattish family you'd probably spend all of your holiday trying to avoid.

Anyone else?

Just don't see who would identify themselves as being a potential customer for this particular firm's services (= online travel agency)?

Seems the ad agency has done a fantastic job of convincing me to never ever want to book a holiday with "On The Beach". :s
Agreed, it would make anyone sane not want to use the airport lounge just in case a family like that came in!

Also a repeat is the verisure adverts, usually people don't refer to their house alarm by any manufacturer name, plus it needs Wi-Fi to work (and I guess uses wireless sensors), so put a verisure sign outside you house and all burglars know that with a Wi-Fi blocker your alarm is effectively disabled and you can rob the place.

Oh and any advert for Shark vacuums, unreliable and difficult to repair when they do (they even use security torx for some reason), plus like all bagless vacuums need a lot of maintenance that you really need another vacuum to do properly.

Got to be the Virgin Atlantic one.
I suspect in reality their planes are filled by the same motley lot of holiday makers, families and crew as any other , so this is just a panderfest laid bare!

IanD

Established Member

Anyone else?

Paddy McGuiness has the effect of turning me off anything he is involved with.

DunsBus

Established Member
I suspect if he hadn’t been in Peter Kay’s Phoenix Nights we’d not have heard of him again.
To be fair voicing ads is probably the only guarantee of TV work for Paddy at the moment. His recent track record when it comes to TV shows isn't exactly impressive - every show over the last few years that he's been involved with has ended up being axed. :)

IanD

Established Member
To be fair voicing ads is probably the only guarantee of TV work for Paddy at the moment. His recent track record when it comes to TV shows isn't exactly impressive - every show over the last few years that he's been involved with has ended up being axed. :)
I heard he's taking over presenting Inside the Factory from Greg Wallace. I expect it to be the last season.

I would gladly pay double the licence fee if the BBC guaranteed that none of it was going his way.

Calthrop

Established Member
To all intents and purposes, I never see television -- annoying toplofty snob that I am -- but find self amused by the pretty well across-the-board loathing of this "On The Beach" thing. The title irresistibly brings to mind for me, the gloomy 1950s novel of the very same title, by Nevil Shute: about the last weeks in Australia before everyone and everything dies, owing to the environmental consequences of a nuclear war (which poor Australia wasn't even involved in), via which the entire planet is kaputt. Can't help wondering whether some posters here would prefer real-life experience of the novel's scenario; to enduring same, in the circumstances portrayed by the advert.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Which is the TV advert that features a female American overvoice saying "Dart Calm" ?

**************************************************************************************************************************************************
To all intents and purposes, I never see television -- annoying toplofty snob that I am -- but find self amused by the pretty well across-the-board loathing of this "On The Beach" thing.
Having seen that obnoxious family in those adverts, the man, the woman and the boy all seem reminiscent of those same characters in the film "Matilda".

Calthrop

Established Member
Having seen that obnoxious family in those adverts, the man, the woman and the boy all seem reminiscent of those same characters in the film "Matilda".
(My bolding) -- things Australian do seem to be to the fore in this thread, at the moment <D !

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I have not seen it, but someone tells me there in a strange Open University advert doing the rounds with strange backing. Had anyone seen this?
I find it rather intriguing that you can deem an advert to be annoying on the say-so of a third party and without actually having seen it! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I find it rather intriguing that you can deem an advert to be annoying on the say-so of a third party and without actually have seen it! :rolleyes:
In the case of the person who told me of it, we have known each other for many years and it is the case that "Great minds think alike"

The reason why I had not seen the advert in question is that I was in hospital from 15th December until the first week in January. Having now seen the advert on posting 1,221, I concur with my informant.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I see the NHS are running that very strange TV advert again that shows a man carrying a square box with a handle that he permanently winds until he visits his doctor who pulls the handle outwards that caused the box lid to open revealing absolutely nothing inside the box. What on earth is this advert supposed to convey and are those boxes available on prescription?

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

How recently did members of the MoneySupermarket.com sales team hand out free telecommunication tablets to prospective customers as shown in their TV advert?

Last edited:

dgl

Established Member
"When you book like a genius, you should holiday like a fool"

Just what you will expect to hear in the latest "On the Beach" TV advert.
So get blind drunk and get a tattoo of something offensive on a not easily covers part of your body,
go to the bad part of town showing off all your valuables and get mugged,
create havoc at the hotel and get kicked out,
get arrested for doing something stupid,
that's assuming you haven't been a "fool" on the plane at the start of the holiday and been kicked off!

furgus2

I detest any advert which has the sound of someone eating or biting into anything eg. Walkers crisps, KFC, Magnum etc.
However, the latest ad for Pot Noodles reaches a new low with its disgusting slurping sounds as the young woman apparently sucks the contents out of its pot. I fail to see how the makers of the advert or the owners of the product would think this approach would actually appeal to people. Is it mean to be funny/amusing? I just don’t get it. All I feel is total revulsion.

Welly

I detest any advert which has the sound of someone eating or biting into anything eg. Walkers crisps, KFC, Magnum etc.
However, the latest ad for Pot Noodles reaches a new low with its disgusting slurping sounds as the young woman apparently sucks the contents out of its pot. I fail to see how the makers of the advert or the owners of the product would think this approach would actually appeal to people. Is it mean to be funny/amusing? I just don’t get it. All I feel is total revulsion.
I saw that ad last night - glad I mute the TV every ad break!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Perhaps that advert is deliberately aimed at "those types" who certainly fit in with the description you cite above.

For those who remember the earlier episodes of "Last of the Summer Wine", they will recall that Compo had a habit of slurping his tea that he had poured into his saucer. much to the annoyance of Ivy.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
That part of the 'Magnum' advert, for me at least, sounds like someone biting into a raw carrot. Wonder whether the soundtrack has indeed been 'sonically enhanced'?

Probably aimed at the same crowd as the 'On The Beach' advert.