• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Another Landslip: Hassocks/Burgess Hill area

Sealink

We might need a combined thread the rate landslips are occurring. :'(

FROM NETWORK RAIL VIA SOUTHERN WEBSITE

A landslip between Haywards Heath and Brighton means that some lines are closed. Trains may be cancelled, delayed by up to 60 minutes or revised.
Disruption is expected until the end of the day.

Customer advice: A reported landslip in the Hassocks - Burgess Hill area has been confirmed by Network Rail colleagues.
A landslip in the Hassocks area is blocking one of the available lines between Brighton and Gatwick Airport.

Network Rail engineers are on site and working to assess what is needed to safely clear the landslip. Current reports estimate this to last until the end of the day, with work continuing to take place overnight. Once this is done, they will assess the tracks for any damage that might need repairs before they can allow trains to safely run through the area again.

Teams are working with Network Rail to ensure this is done as quickly and safely as possible. This message will be kept updated with further details.

Landslips can happen for a number of reasons, including severe weather. Areas at risk of landslips are monitored proactively to make sure the track is safe, and staff also receive reports from train crews of any risks to the railway.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BrianW

Established Member
A landslip between Haywards Heath and Brighton means that some lines are closed. Trains may be cancelled, delayed by up to 60 minutes or revised.
Disruption is expected until the end of the day.

Customer advice: A reported landslip in the Hassocks - Burgess Hill area has been confirmed by Network Rail colleagues.
A landslip in the Hassocks area is blocking one of the available lines between Brighton and Gatwick Airport.

Network Rail engineers are on site and working to assess what is needed to safely clear the landslip. Current reports estimate this to last until the end of the day, with work continuing to take place overnight. Once this is done, they will assess the tracks for any damage that might need repairs before they can allow trains to safely run through the area again.

Teams are working with Network Rail to ensure this is done as quickly and safely as possible. This message will be kept updated with further details.

Landslips can happen for a number of reasons, including severe weather. Areas at risk of landslips are monitored proactively to make sure the track is safe, and staff also receive reports from train crews of any risks to the railway.
As Brenda from Bristol might have put it: Not another one?

Sealink- Just wondering how much of the 'Customer advice' is 'official' and how much is your 'take'? e.g. the final sentence? Thanks.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Sealink- Just wondering how much of the 'Customer advice' is 'official' and how much is your 'take'? e.g. the final sentence? Thanks.
I believe it’s all copied directly from Southern’s website, in the section headed “Can you tell me more about the incident”. It’s nobody’s “take”:

If the first post had included a link your question wouldn’t have been needed.

Wandering Pom

OpenTrainTimes maps show that the up line is blocked, with single-line working on the down line between Keymer Junction and Preston Park.

BrianW

Established Member
I believe it’s all copied directly from Southern’s website, in the section headed “Can you tell me more about the incident”. It’s nobody’s “take”:

Thank you. It's good to know that intending passengers get to know that Areas at risk of landslips are monitored proactively to make sure the track is safe, and staff also receive reports from train crews of any risks to the railway.

Myself, I would have thought that the suggestions that monitoring ensures that the track is safe and that staff receive reports of any risks, while comforting may be overstating a little?

Somewhere

OpenTrainTimes maps show that the up line is blocked, with single-line working on the down line between Keymer Junction and Preston Park.
Its not single line working, its Bi-Di (or is it SIMBIDS?)

Bi-directional working / Simplified bi-di

Sunset route

Established Member

Its not single line working, its Bi-Di (or is it SIMBIDS?)

Bi-directional working / Simplified bi-di

You beat me to it, but we are using the SIMBIDs between Preston Park and Keymer Junction although it’s not a very efficient method of working as you can only one up train in section from Preston Park to Keymer Junction (wrong direction) against the normal amount in the right direction.

Somewhere

You beat me to it, but we are using the SIMBIDs between Preston Park and Keymer Junction although it’s not a very efficient method of working as you can only one up train in section from Preston Park to Keymer Junction (wrong direction) against the normal amount in the right direction.
Really? I thought you could flight trains - several in one direction, then several in the other. Is that the difference between SIMBIDS and normal Bi-Di, then?

TrainGeekUK

How many drivers would be signed to go to Brighton via Lewes when heading south, or are all drivers who do the Brighton to London main line are defaulted to be trained on this alternative diversionary route in the event of service disruption like the landslip.

I’m guessing Thameslink trains would be too long to divert when reversing at Lewes.

JB_B

Established Member

I’m guessing Thameslink trains would be too long to divert when reversing at Lewes.
I'm pretty sure 12-car diversions are possible - only done one TL diversion via Lewes in recent years but I don't think it was an 8-car.

westcoaster

Established Member
How many drivers would be signed to go to Brighton via Lewes when heading south, or are all drivers who do the Brighton to London main line are defaulted to be trained on this alternative diversionary route in the event of service disruption like the landslip.

Only Thameslink drivers who sign via Lewes are Brighton drivers.

Somewhere

Thameslink are fine diverting. Its drivers signing the road that would be the issue. Plus you couldn't really send more than 6 trains an hour that way as there isn't the capacity, and there's already 4 an hour as it is

Sealink

My apologies, have updated post.

It was from the Southern website

You are absolutely correct and edited my post

Starmill

Veteran Member
My apologies, have updated post.

It was from the Southern website

You are absolutely correct and edited my post
For future reference, I sometimes find it slightly easier to create quotes on the forum by opening the BB code editor. This can be done by pressing the three dots (menu icon) in the top right of the reply box, just to the left of the magnifying glass and page (the preview icon), then in the menu that opens press the square brackets icon.

This will change your reply window to the BB code style, and here you can more clearly edit paragraphs by using the marker QUOTE inside square brackets to begin a quote, and the same with /QUOTE, again in square brackets, to end a quote.

It's also possible to create a quote without the above steps, by pasting content into the reply window, and then selecting it all again and hitting the button with the close double inverted commas icon. This can produce awkward formatting which is difficult to correct though, as if you press enter, you end your quote and begin again.

Bigfoot

Really? I thought you could flight trains - several in one direction, then several in the other. Is that the difference between SIMBIDS and normal Bi-Di, then?
SIMplified BI Drectional Signalling is just one long section with a distant and a stop signal for the wrong direction and the maximum speed is lower than the speed in the normal direction. Regular bi directional is usually multiple signal sections for moves both ways usually of similar lengths. Simbids is usually only used in planned engineering works or for a much reduced service if something unplanned has happened because of the length of time taken to pass through.

Sunset route

Established Member

Copyhold Junction to Balcombe Tunnel Junction was modernised to full Bi-Di running where you can flight the trains but Preston Park to Keymer Junction is still the old 1980s SIMBIDS with only one signal section for the whole of the wrong direction.

12 coach trains can reverse at Lewes and the signalling and in fact the signalling was expanded to allow more flexibility for reversing trains at Lewes when Lewes signalbox transferred its control to TBROC.

Last edited:

afc75

I can verify it was a pain being caught up in it coming back from Brighton.

Not sure if overtime ban impacted, but being cancelled at 3 bridges, no real info on best options.

I ended up on a Victoria service, not really where i wanted 2 go

Class 170101

Established Member
Good as that suggests that currently a more extensive failure of the embankment is reduced.
Assuming NR get around to fixing it or the 20ESR is just another prelude to a 10ESR, then 5ESR and then closure as NR haven't got around to it.

Railcar

If the Arundel to Angmering chord was in place,, a run down the Arun valley would have been a diversion.

zwk500

Veteran Member
If the Arundel to Angmering chord was in place,, a run down the Arun valley would have been a diversion.
Seems a rather expensive and time-consuming solution when you can divert via Littlehampton, run via the SIMBIDS or focus on keeping the existing line open.

Sunset route

Established Member
Seems a rather expensive and time-consuming solution when you can divert via Littlehampton, run via the SIMBIDS or focus on keeping the existing line open.

Our SIMBIDS on that section of line is not very flexible for long term running as the wrong direction section is too long especially with station stops.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Our SIMBIDS on that section of line is not very flexible for long term running as the wrong direction section is too long especially with station stops.
Indeed but at least it has that facility on other routes services would have just been suspended

Somewhere

Hardly any drivers sign the diversion, though. Thameslink certainly don't. Hardly any Southern would